Sign in to follow this  
SteveFeraru

How to set up a trailer?

I have a 1985 Chaparral 238 XLC that is now going to get a special place on a trailer away from the bunk that it has been resting on since 2000. I have a load rite trailer that I think is big enough for it, but the main question that I have is how do I set the trailer up for the boat? I am wondering if there is any specific measurements that should be taken or set up? the things I am worried about is the width of the bunks, where the bow stop should be placed.

Go to the marina..lake or a nearby dealer...look for the dozens of empty trailers and get some ideas of what you need....especially this coming Labor Day weekend...will be a whole bunch to examine...bring your camera also!!

Adapting a different boat to a trailer can take a lot of time & new boards & covering to do it right. Assuming the trailer is for your type of hull.

Sterndrive boat trailers have wheels closer to the end of the trailer to get to the correct tongue weight easier, without butchering the winch area up.

You have not lived until you try to balance a sterndrive boat on a trailer designed for a mid engine inboard boat. :) :)

Well, I did it! I got the boat on the trailer, I had the Pain staking task of getting the boat on the trailer by myself. I did look at a couple other trailers and figured out the width of the bunks was about as wide as the trailer would go, fortunately the trailer was already set up previously for a center console 22 foot boat with twin 225's on it, and the axle was at the proper distance for balance. It may be just a little tongue heavy but not too bad for the Dodge. I now have so many other questions related to the boat and I will start other threads for them. But for now Thank you for your help Guys! Great Forum!

great job. Two things thats ultimately important. One does the boat fit on the trailer as far as length and width. Second is the trailer rated for the load if not try again.

Make sure the bunks are fully supporting the transom. You do not want the transom sticking out past the bunks.

brick

Congrats on getting it set up! If you want a second set of eyes on it, you can always post some pics and I'm sure folks would love to give you feedback.