Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tolson37

What's the best app for iPhone and boating on a lake?

7 posts in this topic

What's the best app for the iPhone while you're out on the lake? I'm primarily interested in speed, distance, and weather? Anyone have experience using the iPhone like this?

Thanks

I used the Navionics app when I rented a pontoon down in Destin and cruised the bay. I am only somewhat familiar with that area so it was very useful crossing the bay to find and get into the bayous. I just have the free version, really don't need or use it on my home waters.

Navionics is a great, low-cost chartplotter that will show you speed, location, track your path, water depths, channel markers, etc. You will likely find the screen is a limiting factor and want to upgrade yourself to a tablet but in the meantime this is a great app at a great price.

For weather, I use MyRadar and another one called NOAA Weather (for Android on my Samsung tablet).

You don't have to be in cellular range for Navionics to work - it loads maps locally and can access the GPS function on the iPhone without cell connection. The weather apps depend on cellular connectivity.

Ditto Navionics. Had to use it navigating at night back to the dock in unfamiliar waters. Got me through the inter coastal and back channels where depth is a major issue and marshes everywhere. My father in law boats that area often and learned some things that night, like where the actual channel line is. Could have been ugly without it. Sucked looking at an iPhone screen and trying to drive based on where the boat icon was. Couldn’t see anything it was so dark. 

I also use Navionics on my iPhone, one time fee with free updates. Great for navigating at night in the Ozark's. During he day most times I'm a dead reckoning kinda guy. I was taught to look back, to find land marks to find your way back home.

It never hurts to "pull over and Just Asks somebody"ie Capt. Ron.........:captain:

For weather, I use Weatherunderground and Storm by Weatherunderground.  They have excellent radar graphics on storms that you can use to predict storm arrival at your location.  I've found it to be very accurate....at least as much as can be with the weather B)