threewelin

new boat owner, older boat with floor concerns

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am new to the boat world, however, very excited. I bought a 1995 chaparral 2130 sport and overall I would say is in good shape. I have taken it out and it runs real good. After having it home for a couple of weeks and going thru it with a fine tooth comb, I have found that the floor around the ski well is a little soft. When I looked down in the well, I found that on either side there is a board that runs the length of the well on the bottom of the floor and they both have come loose and are hanging down. It appears that they were not fastened with any hardware and can only assume they must have been glued on or something at some point. I also found that both seats have pulled out several screws each from the floor as the seats are very loose at the floor.

My goal here is to tighten the seats and re fasten those boards in the well. While I am at it, I am going to make me a new ski hatch from wood and not replace with the original which is carpeted. The ski well was so saturated and stank. I cleaned out the drain in the well and have it pretty well dried out now.

Does anybody have any advice for me on the fixes?

Oh and one other thing. The struts that hold up the engine compartment keep pulling the little screws out of the wood. The wood seems to be in pretty good shape as it was recently re finished. Any advice here.

Thanks for any suggestions.

God Bless

I see you didn't get much feedback on your topic so I will give my two cents..If you go on you tube..look up gimbel replacement or drive oil changes there is one guy..sorry I forgot his name..but he has several good videos on boat repair. In his case he bought what he thought was a super good find..but after a week or so he was walking around the interior and found soft spots where he stepped. Bad news and he ended up gutting the boat and had to replace the rotten flooring and wooded supports..He has worked on his own boats all his life....so he took on the challenge. Check it out good luck!! P.S. His boat was a SeaRay.......

Thanks for the replies. The videos were good stuff. The pieces I found, I was able to repair. I believe that my issues were limited to the ski locker area as I have found no other soft spots, thus far.

i have a few soft spots also around the ski locker, does my floor have that fiberglass on top of the wood too?? Can i replace just the soft spots? Or should I replace the whole floor,,, any advise would be GREATLY appreciated!!

A flexing deck is not soft. A soft spot is a deck that crunches or gives way. The only way to tell Is to drill core samples or pull up the carpet and look. If the floor is soft, I'd just run the boat until it's too rotten to be safe. Restoring a boat is not fun, trust me.

On 7/8/2017 at 1:22 AM, drewm3i said:

A flexing deck is not soft. A soft spot is a deck that crunches or gives way. The only way to tell Is to drill core samples or pull up the carpet and look. If the floor is soft, I'd just run the boat until it's too rotten to be safe. Restoring a boat is not fun, trust me.

Yep.  Or even doing major repair in a section of boat with bad stringers.  DAMHIK.

On 7/8/2017 at 1:22 AM, drewm3i said:

Restoring a boat is not fun, trust me.

Only if it is a labor of love.

Bought my girl in June of 92, worked on her all winter, splashed her in early May of 93, after spending 400 hrs restoring her.

Owning a Body Shop, helped a lot.  Denny.

Just now, Denny said:

Restoring a boat is not fun, trust me.

Only if it is a labor of love.

Bought my girl in June of 92, worked on her all winter, splashed her in early May of 93, after spending 400 hrs restoring her.

Owning a Body Shop, helped a lot.  Denny.

Yep. Wish I had a shop. I can't count how many hours I've put in so far. At least 300 I would reckon. I'm almost done with the mechanicals, then I have to finish the structure.