CA Drought what 63 trillion gallons of water missing looks like

How very sad indeed. Living here on The Great Lakes, we get concerned when the water table gets down 18 inches. Denny.

The Great Lakes contained around the year 2000 21% of the world’s fresh surface water: 5,472 cubic miles (22,810 km3), or 6.0×1015 U.S. gallons (2.3×1016 liters). This is enough water to cover the 48 contiguous U.S. states to a uniform depth of 9.5 feet (2.9 m).

That is really shocking. Droughts are no fun for sure. Back in the drought years of '09 - '11 down here in the Southeast, we had lakes in north Georgia like Allatoona and Lanier showing a lot more shoreline than normal. Even the Tennessee River and its reservoirs were showing signs of lower water by a couple of feet from normal.

We still have a water war going on at some level between the states of Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia. Atlanta apparently has no water management plan to accommodate the insane population growth of the past 30 years and the CoE is shutting down their ability to draw out of Lake Lanier as it apparently was never meant to be a water supply for the metro area. Just goes to show you what havoc can be brought by uncontrolled population growth and a few seasons' decrease in rainfall.

It's pretty crappy here in Cali for boating. I've only been to the lakes twice this year. The rest of the time I've been boating on the Sacramento River which is my first choice to be boating. But I'd rather be boating then not. Let's hope for a "Super" wet winter this year.

It's pretty crappy here in Cali for boating. I've only been to the lakes twice this year. The rest of the time I've been boating on the Sacramento River which is my first choice to be boating. But I'd rather be boating then not. Let's hope for a "Super" wet winter this year.

I'm a little jealous - I lived in Sacramento area (Elk Grove) for a couple years - came to LOVE boating on the Delta! Used to make regular runs to see the mothball fleet and down to San Francisco - beautiful cruising up there!

Lake Erie has remained pretty stable this year. It has rained so much around the region of the Great Lakes that it hasn't dropped at all. The average level has been 572 feet above sea level. The only changes that have occured are due to winds pushing the water around. Even that has been quiet this year.

In previous years and being at a fixed dock, it has been difficult getting into and out of my boat. This year has been nice. No constant readjusting of the lines.

What you guys need out there is more hurricanes from Mexico.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be foolish, but I really wonder how much water is sitting in warehouses and store shelves

around the world, and if put back into the environment would it make a difference.

Here in the US, everyone has bottled water on the shelves. Dollar stores, Gas Stations, Convenience stores,

grocery stores, etc. That's a lot of water that has been removed from the environment the last 20 years.