Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Richard W

This forum needs more action ... or somebody wanted some pictures ... :)

31 posts in this topic

Here are some pics from our long (in miles) short (in time) trip to Cobourg Ontario Canada ...

page23-1000-full.jpg

page23-1003-full.jpg

page23-1004-full.jpg

page23-1006-full.jpg

page23-1009-full.jpg

page23-1010-full.jpg

Cobourg Marina and Heritage Harbour panorama, a bit misleading 270 degree view of the site (click on the image to enlarge) ...

page23-1011-full.jpg

I mentioned yesterday that all you hear around here is people yacking about "post pics and lots of pics" and why isn't there a "Pictures Thread"? Every forum I'm on has one and if there's ever a forum that could use strictly a pics thread it's this one! Boats and water and fabulous waterways and landscapes. No-brainer.

Each person doesn't have to open their own photos thread just post them all on one thread and it becomes much easier for everyone to see them and scroll through the whole thread in one place.

I have a small Cannon digital that I use mostly when I'm in 'rough' environments like on a boat with salt water flying all around and it does the job for the most part. I just upgraded my other camera a few months ago and bought a Cannon 70D but haven't taken it out of the box yet. Looking forward to using that as I know the quality of the photos will be exponentially better. Plus it's WiFi compatible so I don't have to upload the pics which is pretty convenient.

What camera are you using, Richard? Nice wide angle snapshot on that last pic.

And post some more pics of your boat!

I will just learn to draw boat pictures till the new IPhone 6 comes out!!!

imagejpg1_zps3a3dac79.jpg

We are cruising and moving east from Kingston Ontario. Staying overnight on the Thousand Island National Parks islands. Gorgeous full moon tonight ... got some great pictures of it and the boat too.

Looks like weather will turn ugly on Thursday, we might swing around our house and hunker down for a night or two by our protected dock. I will post more pics when we are back and I have access to my computer. Meantime might need to learn to draw as BF suggested ... nah, I can't draw as well as he did ... actually, some interesting details in his drawing.

BTW, I am using a 3 year old Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3, a still decent point and shoot with 12x optical zoom and panorama assist.

That is a neat drawing. Looks like me that day out in the storm getting pummeled by those waves except I had the look of panic and doom on my face, not a smile like that lol! :D

Well, since you're out boating without your computer!......don't mind if I post some pics of our trip last Friday into Gloucester Harbor. At least you can check out some other pics until you get back and post your own. Maybe this can turn into that "Pictures Thread".

This is where they filmed and based that movie "The Perfect Storm" from, beautiful Gloucester, Massachusetts. This town was settled in 1623 and is one of the main fishing ports in the North East United States.

I'm surprised they allowed the windmills to be erected in the background of such a historic town, but glad they did. We need more of these to help us sustain our energy needs. I'd like to put one in my backyard and harness my own energy.

IMG_2037_zps9a1da4ff.jpg

IMG_2038_zps03b6aac9.jpg

IMG_2039_zps6f776734.jpg

IMG_2040_zpsd29caa82.jpg

IMG_2045_zps40f53122.jpg

IMG_2042_zps6ec4b672.jpg

IMG_2049_zps83bfc1c9.jpg

IMG_2050_zpse38b126b.jpg

IMG_2052_zpsc3562d96.jpg

IMG_2053_zpsf2161cab.jpg

Nice pics ... love the sight of working boats and cruising trawlers. Nice area to boat.

Feel free to post more ... the more the better. I don't mind if this becomes a picture thread ... even thou the forum is Eastern Canada, and topic tagged specifically ... small details I guess ... pile on ... ;)

Glad you liked them, Richard. :) I'm with you on the trawlers. The variety of the types in that harbor is very cool to look at. There's another dock a little tucked away where all the really high-end cruisers park and we took a little zip in there but I didn't want to take any pics lol. People were already wondering what we were doing in there and giving us the shady eyeballs.

Let's hope for some more pics from everyone else.

This is Wingaersheek Beach. They should call it "Beach Your Boat Beach"

They say in the summer time, real estate on this beach is at a premium!

IMG_2105_zps1aee0496.jpg

IMG_2104_zps77a1d898.jpg

IMG_2064_zps894763c8.jpg

Notice the Flemish coils, Richard? :D

Very nice ... looking good!

In the old days the coils were not just for safety and looks, but they were used as shoe mats as well.

We came into safe harbour last night. The weather turned ugly overnight as predicted, rain and winds in the mid/upper twenties. There are white caps in our protected channel today. I will post some "full moon trip" pics tonight.

Full moon pics not as good as I hoped ... one needs a good camera on a tripod, and good manual settings.

Anyway, here they are ... Full Moon Cruise, Thousand Islands ...

Late dinner prep ...

page27-1001-full.jpg

First (just before) full moon night ...

page27-1003-full.jpg

page27-1004-full.jpg

page27-1006-full.jpg

Another day, another island ...

page27-1009-full.jpg

Big boat clearing the narrows ...

page27-1011-full.jpg

Second (just after) full moon night ...

page27-1013-full.jpg

page27-1015-full.jpg

Camping out ... :)

page27-1017-full.jpg

Outstanding, Richard. That's a very remote and secluded area where that dock/pier is.

Love the clothes hooks for the grab-rail. :D

Is that the bottom that you see on the water or the reflection of trees or something?

page27-1009-full.jpg

These are seaweeds or river weeds in this case. You can also see lighter bald rock/mud spots made by props ... unintended weed whacking. The boat sits in 5-6 feet of water, the weeds that you see are closer to shore and in 3 to 4 feet of water.

Docking at the park's islands can be challenging ... the water depth is often barely enough to slip in by the dock, not much depth and room to wonder around. Bottom is mud with rock, or solid rock. Water levels on SLS start going down in later part of summer ... what was acceptable water depth in July is not necessary safe in September.

Yeah, I often count inches not feet between the props and mud.

I hate using a skeg as an anchor ... but it happens ... :slap:

Wow, that must be hairy. Still, great looking place. I can hear the silence just looking at the pics.

We're heading up the Merrimack River this week for some fall boating with some bird watching friends. There's a bald eagle sanctuary a little ways up river that we've been watching these birds from land for close to 18 years, now, and sometimes they perch on the island side that faces the ground where we are and fly around the water between that island and us. But most of the time they go to the 'backside' of that island and hang out over there and that side is only accessible by water. So imagine, not having seen that other side for 18 years and knowing we're heading there in a few days! Really looking forward to it but I need to study the chart for that waterway for sure! I know there's some sandbars and some nasty stuff along the way. I'll break out the new Canon for this and take some pics.

Here is an underwater view.
Not much of a bottom view, mostly drive inspection, and a local dweller peeking into the camera ...

underwaterinspection560_zps239d0ccb.jpg

Richard, the underwater pictures are interesting. It is a great way to inspect the running gear, thanks for sharing.

That's terrific. Good to have when your boat is in the water for extended periods and need to check the level of growth. Even if you think you brushed up against something or felt you grounded a bit and need to do a quick check.

... and the video posted already elsewhere ... cloudy, hazy, lazy end of one summer day ...

threadingtheneedle560_zps674a45b8.jpg