RichMarionOhio

Don't know what to say here.....

That brings tears to my eyes. Why would some "a"-hole want to do something like that. Act of "jealously" or just drunk and drugged out. I don't know. So sorry for the loss of your beautiful boat. More then likely they will not get caught, but I hope "karma" comes back and get's them real good and then some.

I just don't understand why people do that kind of crap to other people's personal belongings.

Any idea's what you might get next?

I hope you will be able to get a new boat quickly. Another Chaparral?

brick

Any idea's what you might get next?

Obviously, been kinda preoccupied the last day or so, but for right now, I'm gonna set on it for a spell. Yes, I'm sure there will be a boat in my future but probably next spring. The season is almost at a close plus it will also give me more time to find that "gem" again.

Will it be a Chaparral? Hopefully, but it WILL be from the classic years. I'm not impressed at all with the newer, all fiberglass and plastic interiors. And it definitely will have a Mercury engine/drive combination for several reasons..... and some may argue otherwise, but parts availability, manuals, tools and information seem to be more readily available for the Mercs.

Time will tell but for sure, I'll still be on here. Couldn't find a finer bunch of people to hang around with!

-Rich

Obviously, been kinda preoccupied the last day or so, but for right now, I'm gonna set on it for a spell. Yes, I'm sure there will be a boat in my future but probably next spring. The season is almost at a close plus it will also give me more time to find that "gem" again.

Will it be a Chaparral? Hopefully, but it WILL be from the classic years. I'm not impressed at all with the newer, all fiberglass and plastic interiors. And it definitely will have a Mercury engine/drive combination for several reasons..... and some may argue otherwise, but parts availability, manuals, tools and information seem to be more readily available for the Mercs.

Time will tell but for sure, I'll still be on here. Couldn't find a finer bunch of people to hang around with!

-Rich

Rich, when you begin looking again, check out Chaparral's sx line especially from 88-91. Those were SO nice. My dad had one when I was younger and it was an awesome boat. He bought it new in 89' and had it through 04'. It was an impressive combination of sport and luxury. Ours looked something like this: large_209125.jpg

I can only imagine your pain thinking about all your hard work destroyed like that. Like everyone else, I hope the d-bags are caught/punished and your insurance sets everything right. Although a different boat won't replace the connection you had to that one, you can at least begin to build new memories with it.

Rich, sorry for the loss. No words given what you did to the boat.

I may get crucified for this but there are some people that should not be walking this surface of this planet. May karma strike and strike hard on the perp.

I can only eco everyone's comments. So sorry for your loss. A true classic with a top of the line restoration. Hope they catch the sob that did this.

Take care

Rich, not that it matters much at this point, but just out of curiosity is the trailer salvageable? It looks from the photo that it might have escaped with minimal damage?

Keep us updated if they ever catch who did this.

Next to the rangers shack??? What a shame.

That's what I was thinking when he first said that. Too bad there obviously wasn't a night shift personnel. I'm guessing probably because it's not in season anymore.

Rich, not that it matters much at this point, but just out of curiosity is the trailer salvageable? It looks from the photo that it might have escaped with minimal damage?

I just spoke with the surveyor a couple hours ago and asked him specifically about that. The trailer is salvageable.... but at a cost. There are 2 tires that have burn damage (spare and port side), lots of heat damage to the paint.... would require sanding and repaint, winch and winch strap melted. Plus the fact that it's built boat-specific with rollers instead of bunks and not really adaptable to many other boats. So he's going to recommend it be totaled. There is no doubt they are going to total the boat.

I have to say at this point I am really impressed with BoatUS service. They have been in constant contact with me and their teams (fire investigator and surveyor) have already been to the site and they have already arranged for removal and site cleanup. First time I've ever had any type of a claim so I expected to be experiencing the horror stories you frequently hear about.

BoatUS.... you have a customer for life.... well, 'soon as I get another boat.

She was fully insured, well, all except the blood, sweat and tears.....

I am at a loss for words!!

That's good news (as far as it goes) about the insurance process thus far. The last thing you need is an insurance hassle . . .

I am stunned. This is so tragic. And and so mean. It is really disturbing.

Rich, I feel for you and I will be wishing good things for you. Many, many, good things.

She was a beautiful craft and I appreciate your hard work and how you shared her with us. Thank you for that and please continue to share your next steps with us.

I just spoke with the surveyor a couple hours ago and asked him specifically about that. The trailer is salvageable.... but at a cost. There are 2 tires that have burn damage (spare and port side), lots of heat damage to the paint.... would require sanding and repaint, winch and winch strap melted. Plus the fact that it's built boat-specific with rollers instead of bunks and not really adaptable to many other boats. So he's going to recommend it be totaled. There is no doubt they are going to total the boat.

At least that's a bit of good news. Once everything is settled maybe they'll let you keep the trailer (that's why I was asking if it was salvageable) and you can fix it up a bit without putting too much into it and sell it to put the proceeds into the 'new boat' fund? Good luck with all that.

Rich,

Sorry for your loss. I can only imagine what it must be like to stand there in total disbelief while looking at what remains of your boat.

It was you and many others that inspired me to keep going when I faced the chaos of my overheat along with the tackling the gelcoat. I'm so glad that I listened and kept fighting for my boat. I would be lost without it.

The best way to understand why someone would do this goes something like this:

Most of us have a thought pattern something like this: 12345678.......etc

The bad guys is more like this: 124536798.........etc

The brain is hardwired different for all people. The arsonist probably knows he did something wrong but the glitch in the hardware makes them do it anyway. Probably something like an addiction. They know its wrong but are driven to do it anyways.

Not that it makes a difference for your loss.

I've been offline for a few days, and just read this entire thread this morning. Rich - I'm sick to my stomach thinking about this. I can only imagine how you feel. So sorry for your loss. All of us put a lot of time and effort into maintaining our boats and keeping them in top-notch condition, but very few of us have essentially built our boats from the ground up like you did. You are in a very exclusive class on this.

When I have left my boat at a campground or in a parking area on vacation, I always make sure I have the trailer lock on. My concern has always been that someone will back up a truck and haul it away, but it never even crossed my mind that someone would torch it. I will never understand people who get their jollies from destroying someone else's property. There are some sick people in this world who clearly need some serious help. I guess my brain just isn't wired that way, so I don't have the capacity to understand their thought process.

Glad to hear that the insurance company has at least been good to you at this point. Nothing can replace the old one because it was truly something you built yourself, not just something you bought. But I wish you nothing but the best as you move forward and begin a search for a new boat. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have some experience with Boat US and a claim. I had a 06 cruiser that was totaled and found that they did a great job of taking care of the claim. The problem I ran into was when I went to get insurance on my 330. They gave me a sky high quote since I had a claim and was now a risk. I couldn't figure how I was a risk since a wind storm flipped the dock that the boat was in. I had to find a different company for 3 years and then went back to boat us.

A couple of things come to my mind while reading your story. The first thing is that it is the act of a useless portion of our society that has been coddled and protected. Then we exposed them to outrageous media effects, blowing up everything for the thrill of it. What did we expect the result would be ?

Second: You have the everlasting memory of documenting your journey rebuilding the 'ole boat and sharing it with people who cared and followed you on that journey to a sucessfull end. The boat is lost but not the memories.

Lastly and not encouraging, is the fact that in our town ,They have jumped from "Car hopping",and we have had the fifth firebombing of a car. Just park your car outside of a garage and they torch it ! Does anyone know of a recent movie,Youtube or dumb Azz film thing going around the internet ? Sounds like a copy cat thing taking hold.

They have a thing here called the knock out game. Three or more thugs will randomly pick someone who very obviously cannot defend themselves, and all beat them up till they are unconscious.