Faria Depthsounder

Went on the river this past Sunday and the depth sounder wasn't working worth a crap. Was flashing the whole time and sometimes it would stick on a single reading. Other times it was showing 90+ feet in a channel I know that is only 20-30 ft. deep. At times it seemed to be accurate, but not very often. Triple checked my gauge settings, all were OK. When these things fail, is it usually the gauge or the transducer? My transducer is a thru hull, I can see it under the boat near the transom. Can't see much of it though, it's right on a trailer bunk.

Not exactly what I want to hear but that probably is the culprit. Faria does make a transom mount transducer which would be alot easier for me to install. I just wonder if it is compatible with the gauge.

I replaced my transducer last year because the thru hull was leaking and I figured I might as well replace the unit since I was going to the trouble to pull it. I ordered a new one from Cecil Marine, they knew exactly what I needed. I think it was less than 150 deer. I pulled the old one which wasn't easy because it is located underneath the front part of the engine. It took all I had in me to reach the nut with a pair of channel locks! I cleaned up the hole with a dremel and got all the old sealant off. There seemed to be some water in my hull so I ended up letting it dry out over the winter. I had my mechanic install the new one, I think that cost me another 100 deer or so.

I replaced my transducer last year because the thru hull was leaking and I figured I might as well replace the unit since I was going to the trouble to pull it. I ordered a new one from Cecil Marine, they knew exactly what I needed. I think it was less than 150 deer. I pulled the old one which wasn't easy because it is located underneath the front part of the engine. It took all I had in me to reach the nut with a pair of channel locks! I cleaned up the hole with a dremel and got all the old sealant off. There seemed to be some water in my hull so I ended up letting it dry out over the winter. I had my mechanic install the new one, I think that cost me another 100 deer or so.

Is there a plug at the transducer for the wire, or is it wired directly into the unit? Want to check the wires for continuity first.

I can't see the bottom of my transducer, it's on a trailer bunk. If I can find out if their transom mount one is compatible, I think i will just go with that. Had a transom mount one two boats ago that worked very well.

Found this on Overtons site. Just wondering if the transom mount transducer with work OK on this hull. I like the black gauge better than what I have anyway. Matches my new black steering wheel and my black carbon fiber dash panels.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Faria-Depth-Sounder-with-Transom-Mount-Transducer&i=76664&merchID=1006&r=view&from=grid

I had the same issue with my Faria unit earlier this year. I contacted Faria directly (ask to speak to someone in Tech Support), I believe his name was Jeremy. Explained the symptoms and asked if there were any readings or troubleshooting I could do. He was fairly confident that it was the gauge and not the transducer. Sent out a new gauge (had it the next day) and a pre-paid UPS label and box to return the old one. Swapped it in, works great.

The only other thing I can recomend is to check all the conections from the trasducer to the back of the gauge. There is an intermediate cable used that goes from approx 18" off the transducer wire, to the back of the gauge. There's 2 Deustch connectors (1 front and one rear). Make sure they haven't vibrated loose. Also, if there's any residue around the transucer on the bottom of the hull, i.e. a bead of 3M 5200 around the "puck" you should clean it up with an exacto or straight blade. Apparently, the silicone can flex while underway and obstruct the signal from the transducer.

Hopefully this helps.

Interesting this topic was started..... on our new to us 05 260SSi, we have the Faria set up also. It has not worked since we bought the boat.... just blinks 0 all the time. I figured it was a winter project, but will follow the replies here and see if my issue can be corrected from the advise given here. Thanks in advance to all the info passed along.....

Also, I can see why people would think that was the bilge at first glance...but boy would that be one high discharge port if it was.......

This reminds me, this past Saturday we were out just cruising around the harbor close to shore but near a few islands and I know these islands have a few rocky outcrops that become visible at low tide, so you gotta be really careful and know where those nasty ones are. So I'm always looking at the depth finder and it was hovering between 28ft -35ft, but it was a little choppy at times. Then all of a sudden it goes to 1.5ft and just stays there. Boat was cruising fine but naturally full panic mode sets in. I start looking overboard and can't see any bottom but I'm really worried! Then it jumps to 3ft, then 5ft and then bang back up to 30ft. It did this about 3 or 4 times and even though I knew we were nowhere near shallow water, it still made me wicked nervous every time.

I'm thinking it's probably a bit of air that gets trapped under with the choppy waves and causes the transducer to read whacky like that until it resets itself. Ever get anything like that?

I have the same problem with the stock thru-hull depth finder on my 244 Sunesta. The problem is, it worked fine in the first season, even at WOT. It got screwed up and started acting up in the second season. Not sure what to do. Does the boat warranty (5 years) even cover it? Hope so. I have to shoot a video of it malfunctioning, as otherwise, they will not believe me and will try to tell me I am seeing things...

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=26766&hl=depth

And yeah... and nothing like a REAL PANIC mode when doing WOT 55 mph through some deep waters (that we've always known to be VERY deep), only to see 1.5 ft on the depth display and envisioning an utter destruction of the boat.