SteveFeraru

1985 chap 238 XLC needs work

I have read many of your great responses and I figured I would introduce myself. I am Steve and I have just purchased a one owner 1985 Chaparral 238 XLC. The catch is it has been resting since 2000. I found it to be in pretty good condition for the amount of time it has been resting. It has the 230 Mercruiser with the alpha 1 best I can tell with the high-fire ignition. it was shrunk wrapped and in mostly good condition with some sun fade where the belly bands had allowed the shrink wrap to ride up. The first few things that I have noticed right away was the bellows were falling out of it, a through hull for the sink was broken. I brought it home and have been trying to figure out where to start first after loading the boat by myself onto the trailer with nothing but a jack and stack of wood.

I figure there are a number of things I would replace such as the bellows, water pump, lower unit oil, engine oil, shift cable, Gas, and the battery. I think that there should be a number of other things that I should worry about as well and that is where I am hoping to find out from your experience!

I know that the window seals are shrunk, and they will need to be replaced, but I figured I should get it running first. although my concern is that there is some water right at the base of the steps while it is just sitting on the trailer. I have seen some similar posts but I don't see a floor drain right there in plain view is there something under the carpet? can I buy the window seals for this?  Where do you guys get your parts reasonably?

Finally, If you have part numbers for Bellow kit, shift cable kit, water pump kit, and any other advice would be welcome.

Regards

Steve

post-42454-0-77389300-1410374231_thumb.j

Trust me when I say that you have a long road a head of you. However the rewards will be worth it. I always felt that yours was the sister ship to mine, and for awhile I actually looked for one to go along with mine. It will be like restoring a car you have to be willing to give it all of your time and hard earned money to resurrect her. My :Twocents:, do it all or do none of it, and she is going to need everything. I would 1st make sure that her hull, floor, stringers, transom, and deck are all solid, then you can start on the mechanics. It might even come down to dropping another engine in her. this is going to be a labor of love, or hate. Good luck and please keep us posted. Denny. P.S. The water you see under the cabin floor is coming from the bilge area, it is a drain for the cabin.

0615141803b_zps574d3286.jpg

You are going to need new fuel lines, a carb rebuild, oil change, fuel change, oil filter, fuel filter, plugs, at the least. Was the engine drained or winterized? If it had water sitting in it you could have a cracked block or a lot of rust. I began my restore by just checking everything and going from there. First thing, you need to make sure the engine is viable before you start throwing parts at it. So, make sure its not seized and do a compression check to get started.

Before I get started on something like this I would pay or provide beer and get a mechanic and somebody that knows hulls/structures/vinyl, and give you what they think. Boat like that in good running shape, might be only worth 3-4 grand. What if you have to put 10 grand into it making it right?

Well, I had a boat guy look at it with a quick once over and he looked at the Hull and the stringers and the transom and said that I had a great start with no rot or no broken or cracked Fiber glass, the engine was winterized when it was put away and shrink wrapped back in 2000 and when I grabbed the alternator belt and moved it the engine was free. I need to pull the spark plugs and spray with oil and then give it a couple of spins then do the compression test. I will keep you advised of the progress. Hope to get somewhere on it this weekend. Thanks guys so far.

Hi Steve do you still have the chaparral boat you remember me I came up to look at it if you could send me an email thanks Tom in New Jersey

Hi Steve did you ever sell it? I lost you number. Tom in New Jersey