TexasPilot71

Camper Canvas - Pieces Missing

14 posts in this topic

Fall is in the air! I thought I'd check out the camper canvas for our 250 Sig this past weekend. I wanted to make sure I could properly install it and to make sure it's in good shape for the coming cooler weather. The canvas is in fantastic shape.

IMG_5262.jpg

I don't think the previous owner has ever had it installed. It was relatively easy to figure out and the zippers although a little stiff, zipped up just fine. The front Eisenglass is a little yellowed, but the canvas material itself is in almost perfect condition. EXCEPT that I am missing the side curtains. See pics:

IMG_5264.jpgIMG_5260.jpg

I've found the side curtains here, but I'm wondering if there are other sources or if this is the best place to order them. Seem a little pricey, but that's boating I guess :angry:

Also, the little rings on the rear of the canvas that hook onto the transom studs are broken. Any idea how to replace them? I'm betting there's a better way to secure it to the boat without replacing them. Need to think about that one a little.

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks as always!!

Call the original owner and see if he still has them or remembers throwing them away.

You can take it to a canvas shop and get a estimate to have them make you a set as well. But then you'd need to trailer your boat there.

Can't help you on the other stuff but on the yellowed isinglass -- My windscreen had been stowed in the ski locker submerged in about 4 inches of water while the boat sat on the dealer's lot just before I bought it. It had yellowed slightly and had some really tough residue on it that was a little annoying. I contacted AmeriTex and they recommended this stuff. Did not get everything off but I could tell a difference after one treatment.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J41VDM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your canvas was probably made by Ameritex. They have the original patterns which will fit like a glove. Just give them the year, model and hull ID number and they will give you a price and make the matching pieces.

Great! I've done both....emailed the broker who sold me the boat (asking him to contact the seller) and emailed Ameritex for a quote. I'll look into the cleaners for the eisenglass. Thanks for all the tips! I'll let you know what happens.

I ordered a cockpit canvas from RNR -- bought it and got Labor Day sale, received it but yet to install. It looks well-made.

I also called Ameritex and got a quote. Ameritex was higher than RNR. I think Ameritex makes the items and the retailer determines price based on their price from Ameritex -- so, a retailer/middleman could be cheaper if they order in high quantity and pass the savings on.

I'm also missing those pieces. I went to a local shop and for those and the back side pieces (not the back) I think it was $500. I didn't really care to fully enclose just keep dry.

Do you have an issue with your windshield pieces being loose? Mine almost sag. it's really hard to see out of them with all the creases. I feel if they were tight it would make things easier. I'm not sure if my boat had the option of a windshield wiper but mine specific boat does not (though i have the rocker switch for one). So, when it rains and i have them up you pretty much have to be on the hook out of the way because you can't see anything or i wouldn't feel comfortable trying to go anywhere... well unless i was Ace Ventura

jim-carrey-as-ace-ventura-in-ace-ventura

Fall is in the air! I thought I'd check out the camper canvas for our 250 Sig this past weekend. I wanted to make sure I could properly install it and to make sure it's in good shape for the coming cooler weather. The canvas is in fantastic shape.

IMG_5262.jpg

I don't think the previous owner has ever had it installed. It was relatively easy to figure out and the zippers although a little stiff, zipped up just fine. The front Eisenglass is a little yellowed, but the canvas material itself is in almost perfect condition. EXCEPT that I am missing the side curtains. See pics:

IMG_5264.jpgIMG_5260.jpg

I've found the side curtains here, but I'm wondering if there are other sources or if this is the best place to order them. Seem a little pricey, but that's boating I guess :angry:

Also, the little rings on the rear of the canvas that hook onto the transom studs are broken. Any idea how to replace them? I'm betting there's a better way to secure it to the boat without replacing them. Need to think about that one a little.

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks as always!!

That is a good looking boat :)

I ordered a cockpit canvas from RNR -- bought it and got Labor Day sale, received it but yet to install. It looks well-made.

I also called Ameritex and got a quote. Ameritex was higher than RNR. I think Ameritex makes the items and the retailer determines price based on their price from Ameritex -- so, a retailer/middleman could be cheaper if they order in high quantity and pass the savings on.

Yep, RNR was slightly higher than the quote I received yesterday from Ameritex. Not enough to cause any concern but enough to easily see that Ameritex is the manufacturer and RNR is the retailer.

I did ask the previous owner about them (through the broker) and he said he never installed the camper canvas and never saw the side curtains. He bought the boat used so we think they were lost somewhere in that transaction.

I'm also missing those pieces. I went to a local shop and for those and the back side pieces (not the back) I think it was $500. I didn't really care to fully enclose just keep dry.

Do you have an issue with your windshield pieces being loose? Mine almost sag. it's really hard to see out of them with all the creases. I feel if they were tight it would make things easier. I'm not sure if my boat had the option of a windshield wiper but mine specific boat does not (though i have the rocker switch for one). So, when it rains and i have them up you pretty much have to be on the hook out of the way because you can't see anything or i wouldn't feel comfortable trying to go anywhere... well unless i was Ace Ventura

jim-carrey-as-ace-ventura-in-ace-ventura

LOL! Yeah, I'm not sure how much I'll use it, but I definitely want to use the boat in the fall/winter...not so much in the rain, but at least I will have an option if I get caught in it. Boat has radar too, so even if visibility gets marginal with the lesser traffic on the lake I think I'll be good at slow speeds.

No, there's no problem with sagging. The eisenglass fits very tight and if I remember correctly it velcros at the top to ensure a "seal".

Ameritex wants a little over 300 deer for the side curtains which I think is very reasonable considering the zippers, eisenglass, etc.

That is a good looking boat :)

Thank you! I've put a fair bit of work into it, but just wait til next season with new wax, bottom paint, and mounted Maqma grill! :banana2:

On 9/19/2014 at 9:06 AM, TexasPilot71 said:

Thank you! I've put a fair bit of work into it, but just wait til next season with new wax, bottom paint, and mounted Maqma grill! :banana2:

Did you ever got the side curtains for your boat? Did you order from Ameritex or RNR

Old , dead thread.

Order your pieces from a local supplier. Factory canvas for a 2007 boat may not even fit, since they do shrink over the years. Skip it.

Order what you need from a local canvas shop, that way they can make it to fit exactly. And, it will be much less expensive.

10 hours ago, fromrio said:

Did you ever got the side curtains for your boat? Did you order from Ameritex or RNR

Yes, I sure did.  Ordered from Ameritex an exact fit.  Love them!!!