Sign in to follow this  
Mrcody

Help - How to remove coffee maker '04 Sig 350

So, I've owned my '04 Sig 350 since new and am a proud and satisfied owner due to limited problems, excellent original dealer, great warranty support during early years, reliability/performance overall and when needed, assistance from Joe at Cecil Marine. After 11 seasons, what goes wrong...my d*mn Black & Decker coffee maker stopped working over the weekend. So bummed starting my day without my [caffeine] addiction, LOL. So I pull out the instructions to see if I can figure out how to remove it and for the life of me I can't. The unit is a Black & Decker Spacemaker model ODC325. The booklet shows a mounting bracket on each side that has "locking tabs" and the coffee maker slides in and locks. That's all fine, but the instructions show the locking tabs being on the "outside", which makes sense because you would press the tabs to release the unit when it is in place. BUT, here's the issue... In the attached photo you can see the unit is installed in an opening between the 2 storage compartments and is truly just wide enough for the brackets and coffee maker, so there is zero access to the "outside edge" of the bracket where the release tabs must be. Maybe I'm stupid, crazy or both (so says the admiral), but does anyone know how to get the friggin thing out? Of course they don't make these anymore anyway, but I found a couple used ones on Ebay and since it's a perfect fit, I figure that's my best answer. I'm looking for help on how to get the old one out and if anyone has a better option than Ebay for a replacement, I'll gladly take it. I'd rather not just abandon it and have to have a Keurig on the counter that I have to stow.

On 9/22/2014 at 7:35 PM, Mrcody said:

So, I've owned my '04 Sig 350 since new and am a proud and satisfied owner due to limited problems, excellent original dealer, great warranty support during early years, reliability/performance overall and when needed, assistance from Joe at Cecil Marine. After 11 seasons, what goes wrong...my d*mn Black & Decker coffee maker stopped working over the weekend. So bummed starting my day without my [caffeine] addiction, LOL. So I pull out the instructions to see if I can figure out how to remove it and for the life of me I can't. The unit is a Black & Decker Spacemaker model ODC325. The booklet shows a mounting bracket on each side that has "locking tabs" and the coffee maker slides in and locks. That's all fine, but the instructions show the locking tabs being on the "outside", which makes sense because you would press the tabs to release the unit when it is in place. BUT, here's the issue... In the attached photo you can see the unit is installed in an opening between the 2 storage compartments and is truly just wide enough for the brackets and coffee maker, so there is zero access to the "outside edge" of the bracket where the release tabs must be. Maybe I'm stupid, crazy or both (so says the admiral), but does anyone know how to get the friggin thing out? Of course they don't make these anymore anyway, but I found a couple used ones on Ebay and since it's a perfect fit, I figure that's my best answer. I'm looking for help on how to get the old one out and if anyone has a better option than Ebay for a replacement, I'll gladly take it. I'd rather not just abandon it and have to have a Keurig on the counter that I have to stow.

I get what your saying............  Have one of your friends look at it too. Sometime another set of eyes may see something you don't. 

My microwave is in there tight too, but If I open the door. There is barely enough room to take the bolts out. Point being, is there a cover or panel on the coffee maker that can be removed. As a last resort, I would shut the breaker off or unplug it and take it apart to get it out of there.      

ARe there screwheads inside of each side cabinet wall ?  Holding the complete brackets in place ?

You did check with you dealer & Joe Cieci ?Check all of the wire connections for loose, burned, C b tripped Loose wires at the P & N main Buss barrs. ALL battery switches OFF during those checks. Or doing s repair to a screw connection.   Volt meter check on both sides of the circuit breaker.

Hope it is a worn out C B.   

Those POSSIBLE RELEASE brackets ?  May be just supplying FRICTION to hold the pot in place ?  Have you tried to bang the pot upward ? if there is a SOFT piece of friction material as the RUBBING GRIPPERS ?  THey may have become stuck ? A carefull amount of brutality may be in order.

Call some BIG Florida marinas & Chaparral for help.

Take 2 THIN kitchen knives & slide them between the latches & the walls to help release the pot.

I am in the same boat (pun intended).  Well, ours still works, but we almost never use the coffee maker, so in order to gain some more storage, I was interested in removing it.  Plus previous owner of boat left it a disgusting mess behind it.  I'll be looking at it again when boat comes out of storage.  If you figure it out before then, let us know.  

As a thought...… Buttons held IN ?   Try UP  then DOWN then down then PULL away from the wall. Or even a combination of the directions.  That hot pot is MEANT NOT TO DISLODGE in  a storm.

Any chance of writing on the base ?   Mirror ?

I don't have a coffee maker, but I am experienced in computers and radios. What you have described is how radios are mounted into a dash and how some computer hard drives are mounted. For radios, there are two thin strips of metal that are designed to slide along side of the radio, or in your case the coffee maker, and they are long enough to go over the tabs that lock it in place. Search Panasonic or Sony car radio installation guides to see what I mean. You might try finding some of those, probably called radio removers or something like that, and try both sides, inside or outside the brackets to get the locking tab to pop. You'll know it once you do it. It will slide right out, so make sure the coffee pot is empty ;-)

Hope that helps!

On 9/22/2014 at 7:35 PM, Mrcody said:

BUT, here's the issue... In the attached photo you can see...

Where's the attached photo?

Take a couple of good pics showing those tabs and as much as you can.  It can't be that difficult to remove. 

I did a web search on that model a Amazon site had LOADS of being sold WITH used parts as a new model. Failure rate was 40% failed. 23 % O K

Replacement parts failed also. Dates were 2003 to about 2005. The newer version.  The 325  N   was just as bad.

I stopped the high priced breaking  glass crafe styles & went to a OLD fashioned S S percolator by Farberware  model POP 412...……... 120vac.   The main SS pot & heating part of it CAN NOT be dishwasher washed. Other parts are. EXCELLENT S S coffee basket for use with any ground coffee.  Very good unit that I have.  Love no filers needed

When the rumble stops . Ready    A restraint would be needed on a rocking boat or storm.

Good people in the Hudson Valley.   :)

Is Rhinebeck  Aerodrome  still operating shows ? Love the place.

Too funny, a spammer leaves a reply to a thread that’s been dead for five years, and you folks start working on the original posters issue with his coffee maker!

I worked on ALL the spammers.  :clapsmiley:

I also reward ANYONE using a SEARCH  topic.  Way to go guys.

(  I really do not check all post dates.  )

13 hours ago, TidalPotomac said:

Too funny, a spammer leaves a reply to a thread that’s been dead for five years, and you folks start working on the original posters issue with his coffee maker!

Roady68 posted yesterday that he had the same problem and I thought maybe, just maybe, he could use the info.

My bad

1 hour ago, Pops said:

Roady68 posted yesterday that he had the same problem and I thought maybe, just maybe, he could use the info.

My bad

No worries Pops, you helped Roady68.  Fhooso is a spammer, folks wrestled the thread back from a spammer! FWIW, we have a 350, however never had the coffee maker while we owned the boat, we use the outlet in the cabinet for phone chargers.