Hatem

Boater's Language

No takers? Ok, well, this is something many of you who boat rivers frequently and run into low-head dams should know about the dangers of those things and probably not try going over any of them, even if it appears that it can be done. That nasty 'boil' and current is created by the water once it flows over the dam. The water motion created by the falling water is like a constant washing machine.

lowhead_dam.jpg

Most who go over these things end up getting stuck in the backwash right at the waterfall wall where those items are in the picture below.

wr_lowhead_dam.jpg

It's probably hard to see one of these dams ahead of you if you're going downriver unless you're familiar with the area or check the chart beforehand. Some good, scary stuff we just learned. Thought I'd share.

Only on my jet ski :drool5:

Only on my jet ski :drool5:

Yeah, you'd jump that in your jet ski?! Dang! They showed a well known news clip of a couple that went over one of these and sadly the husband drowned while the wife was pinned at the bottom of the waterfall because of that boil and backwash.

BTW, my son and I took the USGC course exam tonight and we both passed yaaay. He got an 84% and I got an 82% that little punk I couldn't believe he beat me! :D So we got our license and certificate and we're psyched. 12 week course culminating in a 50 multiple choice test.

Congrats on passing the exam. I sure would jump it. Check out the u tube vid of jumping one on a snowmobile.

Thank you, man.

This one? Nuts, lol, but I can see the thrill of doing something like this.

Thank you, man.

This one? Nuts, lol, but I can see the thrill of doing something like this.

That's the one! This time of year our riding looks more like this:

That was pretty funny. That dude is just laughing the whole time lol. Those jet skis must take a beating playing with them on that ice like that.

Love the old-school metal.

The skis don't take as much of a beating as you would think, rocks and sand seem to do more damage than the ice and snow. As you can probably tell, these are not our best machines. Most have less than $100 in them.

The skis don't take as much of a beating as you would think, rocks and sand seem to do more damage than the ice and snow. As you can probably tell, these are not our best machines. Most have less than $100 in them.

That you in the vids?

No, I was not in that video. Those are my buddies up in MN.

Cool. That's the way to live life at its fullest, doing the things you dig and going full tilt.

Dennis, is there a guy named Nick in the video? I saw this video on Facebook the other day and I was pretty sure these were the same guys that were giving a us a wake show on the river last year. Fun bunch of guys. We had a blast watching them behind our boat. Twin City Jet Pilots and Freeride films, right?

Dennis, is there a guy named Nick in the video? I saw this video on Facebook the other day and I was pretty sure these were the same guys that were giving a us a wake show on the river last year. Fun bunch of guys. We had a blast watching them behind our boat. Twin City Jet Pilots and Freeride films, right?

Yep. TCJETPILOTS.com

"It's a matter of buckin' up & huckin' it at this point". Great line.

Probably quite the boil there since he came out of the right side and not where the other kayakers were expecting him.

I wonder how deep that spot was that he took and landed into. Crazy stuff.