Mercury MerCruiser Full-Synthetic Engine Oil, 20W-40,

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has been discontinued, and replaced by the semi synthetic 25w40.

If a person wanted a full synthetic, they could use Volvo 10w40, etc.

Wow, that's too bad. I need to stock up then. I hear oil does not have a shelf life. Correct? I wanted to buy 5 or more jugs.

Someone like Wingnut would be able to give a correct answer on oil shelf life and how a 4-cycle engine oil is worn out or affected.

I personally don't think oil does have a shelf life, as the oil 'additive package' that is added to the base oil only breaks down with engine running time due to heat, fuel contamination, and various gases made as a by-product of a marine 4 cycle engine contaminating the oil.

We have 1 jug left of the 20w40, and a customer wants to get it next fall at oil change time.

Has been discontinued, and replaced by the semi synthetic 25w40.

Hey Shepherd, can you verify the source of this info? I am not questioning its validity, but based on this, I've just bought two jugs (75 bucks each) and am about to buy 3 more, to stock up for the next 5 years, so I am curious where you heard that. thanks! I definitely want full synth in my boat.... ideally OEM (if it's only 25 bucks more than Mobil 1 15w-50).

Usually when a good product is removed for being sold, it is due to low sales volume, Certainly the continuing depression & unemployment would eventually affect the sale volume of such a high priced item. Cheaper Ace Hardware Marine oils have not affected any of the 5.0Ls & OB since the 1990s in my boats. Federal law DICTATES the makeup of oil & gasolines in the USA. God bless the EPA ?? ........ :)

So they now *recommend* synth blend (worse kind of oil) because THEY could not make enough profit from selling full synthetic??

This calls for some sorta investigation, it should be border-line illegal to mislead customers like this. Can they forget about profits for one quick second and recommend another good synthetic oil, one they DON'T make or profit from it?

Insane!

I am stocking up. I just don't believe synth blend is better than full synth (which I've used in all my cars for years). In fact, I've read somewhere that synth blend is supposedly a big scam - apparently, by law, the amount of synthetic oil in a blend can be very very small..... Something like 15% or around that. I can't remember for sure, but it was a small percentage.

It's sad Merc clearly cares more about the bottom line than the longevity of our (very hard working, high RPM) marine engines. You would think we already paid them ~20k for each engine we bought from them - can they not give us a proper oil recommendation...?

So they now *recommend* synth blend (worse kind of oil) because THEY could not make enough profit from selling full synthetic??

This calls for some sorta investigation, it should be border-line illegal to mislead customers like this. Can they forget about profits for one quick second and recommend another good synthetic oil, one they DON'T make or profit from it?

Insane!

I am stocking up. I just don't believe synth blend is better than full synth (which I've used in all my cars for years). In fact, I've read somewhere that synth blend is supposedly a big scam - apparently, by law, the amount of synthetic oil in a blend can be very very small..... Something like 15% or around that. I can't remember for sure, but it was a small percentage.

It's sad Merc clearly cares more about the bottom line than the longevity of our (very hard working, high RPM) marine engines. You would think we already paid them ~20k for each engine we bought from them - can they not give us a proper oil recommendation...?

You are probably right in that blend is not better than full syn. But with that said unless you are running some real high HP motors which stock no Chappy is, full syn is not really needed. Regular dino oil is fine for standard power packs.

You are probably right in that blend is not better than full syn. But with that said unless you are running some real high HP motors which stock no Chappy is, full syn is not really needed. Regular dino oil is fine for standard power packs.

It's just VERY suspicious that they used to recommend it and now no more?

From my observations, few people used the synthetic oil (two shops I talked to openly laughed at this concept, saying it's not worth it), so it would clearly indicate to me that there was some financial consideration as part of this decision, not so much the long-term health of the engine.

Why do premium car makers recommend full synthetic? (like BMW). Because it is better... probably much better. Not because they make a killing off of it. Merc synth oil was very expensive. I pay 75 in one place and 95 in the other. Mobil 5w-30 (and 15w-50 as recommended by others on this forum) here in Ontario is 45-50....

It's just VERY suspicious that they used to recommend it and now no more?

From my observations, few people used the synthetic oil (two shops I talked to openly laughed at this concept, saying it's not worth it), so it would clearly indicate to me that there was some financial consideration as part of this decision, not so much the long-term health of the engine.

Why do premium car makers recommend full synthetic? (like BMW). Because it is better... probably much better. Not because they make a killing off of it. Merc synth oil was very expensive. I pay 75 in one place and 95 in the other. Mobil 5w-30 (and 15w-50 as recommended by others on this forum) here in Ontario is 45-50....

Boat manufactures its all about the bottom line. Cars are too but its two different applications. I could sit here and write a book about it. Like I said earlier theres nothing that chaparral makes that requires synthetic oil, in fact if you use that oil your wasting your money,