Hatem

What are some cool modifications you've done to your boat?

1,213 posts in this topic

Thank you, sir! :) That is one of the coolest things you can do to a boat if it doesn't come with one already. Not that a TV is essential on a boat or anything like that. But it's nice to have the option in case your boating time coincides with a big game, just like that.

I don't think I would like a fixed mount, either, exactly for the same reason you mentioned. I see that Bluetooth transmitter has arrived since the last time we discussed this. Very nice. Running the sound through the boat speaker system is the only way to go. Only question I have so far - does the TV pop off that swivel bracket so you can stow it away? I'm guessing it does because I doubt you would want that on there while your dodging big waves or wakes in transit or in my case, some rain or moisture coming in.

Thank you, sir! :) That is one of the coolest things you can do to a boat if it doesn't come with one already. Not that a TV is essential on a boat or anything like that. But it's nice to have the option in case your boating time coincides with a big game, just like that.

I don't think I would like a fixed mount, either, exactly for the same reason you mentioned. I see that Bluetooth transmitter has arrived since the last time we discussed this. Very nice. Running the sound through the boat speaker system is the only way to go. Only question I have so far - does the TV pop off that swivel bracket so you can stow it away? I'm guessing it does because I doubt you would want that on there while your dodging big waves or wakes in transit or in my case, some rain or moisture coming in.

Yes, the television (and the mount on the back) simply lifts right off the arm. There's a little "post" on the arm that fits into a socket. However, there's nothing locking the television to the arm. Does just fine even on plane in light chop. I wouldn't run it in too heavy seas for fear of splash and hitting a rogue wave. I think that would probably be enough to send it flying off the mount (not to mention the strain on the arch).

And yes, we watched an exciting overtime Cowboys/Texans game after coming back aboard. It certainly has its place on a boat!

@ Texas Pilot, You Texans and your football games. :slap::haha-7383:

@ Hatem. What game do you want to watch during your boating season? The Red Sox losing to the O's? :haha-7383:

Thanks for the information, TP. You've given me enough info to be able to tackle that project.

Your Cowboys look like a new team this year! My Pats looked like a new team from last week! lol

Orioles had a great year this year, Tom, after being the bottom of the division trash can for 2 decades LOL! :D Any other team, is fine by me, but those dreaded Yank...Blegh!

Thanks for the information, TP. You've given me enough info to be able to tackle that project.

Your Cowboys look like a new team this year! My Pats looked like a new team from last week! lol

Orioles had a great year this year, Tom, after being the bottom of the division trash can for 2 decades LOL! :D Any other team, is fine by me, but those dreaded Yank...Blegh!

Gotta say, I'm not a Cowboys fan, but yeah they do look pretty good. Only reason Orioles are doing so well is because of all the Texas Rangers that Showalter picked up! Needless to say I'm pulling for them.

Hatem, do you have an antenna already on top of the arch? I understand from some other threads that running new cable through the arch isn't as easy as one would think it to be. Apparently there's a lot of insulation and other blockages in it. If you do tackle THAT project, I'd like to hear how it goes.

For me, I'm still contemplating changing the antenna out and switching everything over to DC. Not sure I have those capabilities, but I'd sure like to kill the need for the generator!

Gotta say, I'm not a Cowboys fan, but yeah they do look pretty good. Only reason Orioles are doing so well is because of all the Texas Rangers that Showalter picked up! Needless to say I'm pulling for them.

Hatem, do you have an antenna already on top of the arch? I understand from some other threads that running new cable through the arch isn't as easy as one would think it to be. Apparently there's a lot of insulation and other blockages in it. If you do tackle THAT project, I'd like to hear how it goes.

For me, I'm still contemplating changing the antenna out and switching everything over to DC. Not sure I have those capabilities, but I'd sure like to kill the need for the generator!

I don't mind seeing the Orioles do well since they've struggled for so many years that I have some sympathy for them loool. But that aside, I'm a huge Maryland/blue crab/steamed shrimp doused in Old Bay seasoning fan so all Maryland all the way! :D Love Camden Yard, too, one of the most beautiful ballparks on the eastern seaboard IMO.

Here's a question while we're on the topic - why are the Dallas Cowboys America's team?!?! They must relinquish that status without a doubt and hand it over to my NE Patriots no questions asked! Just the name alone deserves the distinction! :D

TP, funny you mentioned the radar arch because I looked into already and was pleasantly surprised since I wasn't looking to see how to snake wires into the arch, but rather looking to see if any moisture was coming in from the stuff that's on the top. I don't have an antenna, just the nav light and the ski tow bar but once I opened the access panel on the bottom of the arch, guess what I found?

Previous owner (which I find hard to believe did this because it was a young lady who bought the boat, put 32 hours on it and lost it to the bank before I got it) so I'm thinking it was the guys at the assembly line when they were wiring the boat and left that white, wire they used to snake the tower nav light and run those other yellow wires.

IMG_1938_zps6a637608.jpg

Comes out the other, bottom end by the cockpit sink and refrigerator near the battery charger.

IMG_1939_zps034109fa.jpg

The one thing I was going to ask you is how they bolted the bracket on your boat to the arch! It looks like a pair of screws so maybe they just used a pair of machine screws and predrilled a smaller diameter hole and let the 2 screws on the bracket just bite the aluminum and grab nicely. I figured they would've had to drill holes, put a pair of bolts through and get inside the arch and tighten those bolts from inside, but that seems impossible, given the location and especially access to that point inside the arch?

Cut part of the storage area wall panel under the port side of the engine compartment to accommodate the cooler. Pretty much the coolest mod I made. :drink-buddy:

I have been reading some of the posting in this tread. Some MODs are boat specific and to the owner.

One thing I noticed that most boats have, is a place for a cooler under the wet-bar. Having the frig, I found this space useless. I pulled it out, and made a starboard box to slide in as deep as I could fit it. On one side I have a rack for two 8" fenders and the other side for dock lines. For me it was a better use of the space.

As to storage in the engine compartment, I used S.S. eye screws to hold down two milk cartons with bungee cords. I like using the bungees because I can pull the crates out with easy. I keep small parts and extra fluids in them.

Extra lighting in the engine compartment.

A NMEA2k network, It made hooking everything up a lot easier and less wires.

Went from 2 bilge pumps to 4. Wired them to different batteries to share the load.

Added 2 more house batteries and install remote battery switches to connect them when needed. Also installed a 2nd on board charger for the 2 batterers.

Hatem,

Are you going to go with a 110VAC system or are you going to do a 12V DC system? Since you're having to add everything (antenna, television, booster?) you have a great opportunity to do it the way you want it. 12VDC televisions are pretty inexpensive these days. I'm just not sure about the booster yet. Also in terms of antenna...what do you plan on installing? I've seen some reviews of the Shakespeare antennas and they are mixed. The one I have isn't even available in the US, but here's a link. Looks like it's already DC, so I need to look into this a little deeper. It may be easier than I anticipated to switch over.

I don't know what to tell you about the attach point to the arch. I presume you're correct...machine screw directly into the aluminum. I also don't see a way to get inside the arch and bolt to a steel plate which would be ideal.

That's great luck with the fishing wire already in the arch! Should make that part a piece of cake!

Keep us updated!

Iggy...great idea on the cooler insert! The previous owner of our boat had some sodas explode in the cabin refrigerator and made a mess out of the carpet immediately in front of the fridge. So I store only non-carbonated beverages in the fridge (water, gatorade, etc.) and I put any carbonated beverages on ice in the cooler. The cooler is very efficient if you leave it in the insert shielded from the direct sun.

Also a great idea on the bilge pumps. I found my engine compartment pump to be inop after my outing Sunday. Have two in the truck I'm going to try to install either tonight or Saturday. I'm a nervous wreck although my bilge is always dry (boat stays in the water at the slip).

Can never have enough batteries either! I'm wanting to add one to my 3 on board and re-wire the systems. It's wired a little screwy as I detailed in another topic a few months.

Before we bought this boat, we had a deposit on a Sea Ray Sundancer 300. It had two very bright lights in the enormous engine compartment. I've been wanting to add lights to this boat since we got her. Still thinking about it.

switching to LED's should allow you to not only add brighter lights but use the existing wiring, since they will draw much less power. It's been on my list since day one.

I wish my boat was more accessible over the off season. I'd love to tinker with little things like that. They are inexpensive and make a huge difference. I just never seem to find time during the summer. As soon as I see the boat or water all i can think about is getting out.

It was discussed before I think. I took out the 12V socket in the cabin and added a USB plug in its place. It has 2 plugs which works out great. One for me & one for the wifes phone.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1016/Dual_USB_Charger_Socket

Battery monitor. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|2289954|2289950&id=724613 Not the best, but not the worst. Get for those night at anchor or on a mooring.

I replaced my cockpit carpets with Plas-Deck teak flooring. I hated wrassling with those carpets. Only way to get them clean is to hose them down with soap and water and I think they hold like 100 gallons of water so drying them takes a whole day of hanging. Where the heck do you hang carpets that weight 100lbs soaking wet? So happy to be done with them. Here's what the fake teak looks like. We love it!

IMG_1098_zps81ab2f74.jpg

IMG_1101_zps0b75e766.jpg

I replaced my cockpit carpets with Plas-Deck teak flooring. I hated wrassling with those carpets. Only way to get them clean is to hose them down with soap and water and I think they hold like 100 gallons of water so drying them takes a whole day of hanging. Where the heck do you hang carpets that weight 100lbs soaking wet? So happy to be done with them. Here's what the fake teak looks like. We love it!

Wow that is one good looking boat! Teak looks great too. I would love to have it in my boat but I’m not sure the teak would really look right in mine. I’m not sure what would look good but I’d love to ditch the carpet. I’m worried standard Sea-Deck (or comparable) might take away some of the classiness that the carpet brings. It looks good on my swim platform I’m just not sure about inside the boat.

Do you have dirt and other crap accumulate around the edges of the Teak like you do with the carpet?

I’m hoping someone on here with a similar boat as mine pulls the trigger, so I can see what it looks like first. Lol

Wow that is one good looking boat! Teak looks great too. I would love to have it in my boat but I’m not sure the teak would really look right in mine. I’m not sure what would look good but I’d love to ditch the carpet. I’m worried standard Sea-Deck (or comparable) might take away some of the classiness that the carpet brings. It looks good on my swim platform I’m just not sure about inside the boat.

Do you have dirt and other crap accumulate around the edges of the Teak like you do with the carpet?

I’m hoping someone on here with a similar boat as mine pulls the trigger, so I can see what it looks like first. Lol

Indeed, that fake teak looks great on that Sea Ray! But then again, anything would look good on that amazing boat.

I'm of the same opinion with regards to the carpet, although I do like the feel of it under my soft and delicate feet...... But I would lose it in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the Misses liking it. That's why I have to stay on the swim platform when I'm fishing so no fishy substance gets anywhere near the carpeting, imagine that horror, soaking wet and stinky fishy carpet?! But now that they have that sea grass, that might be a good other option as well as the Sea Deck. Supposedly it solves the problem of getting soaked and the long drying time.

Hatem,

Are you going to go with a 110VAC system or are you going to do a 12V DC system? Since you're having to add everything (antenna, television, booster?) you have a great opportunity to do it the way you want it. 12VDC televisions are pretty inexpensive these days. I'm just not sure about the booster yet. Also in terms of antenna...what do you plan on installing? I've seen some reviews of the Shakespeare antennas and they are mixed. The one I have isn't even available in the US, but here's a link. Looks like it's already DC, so I need to look into this a little deeper. It may be easier than I anticipated to switch over.

I don't know what to tell you about the attach point to the arch. I presume you're correct...machine screw directly into the aluminum. I also don't see a way to get inside the arch and bolt to a steel plate which would be ideal.

That's great luck with the fishing wire already in the arch! Should make that part a piece of cake!

Keep us updated!

You know, I'm torn between the 110 and 12vt TBH with you, TP. I haven't done the appropriate research just yet but have been leaning towards the 12vt simply because it is simplicity and not needing a generator and it's the same system as the whole boat. But, if I'm slipped, it would be nice to plug the 110 into the TV and go that way so I'm using shore power and not worrying about the batteries. So shore power converted to the battery systems and 12vt throughout is probably the way I'm going to go. TV must be interchangeable with both electrical options. As soon as I figure it out I will let you know, for sure. You've given me a great head start, thanks for all that information!

The antenna is another dilemma!! UGH! If my GPS is being upgraded and I either have the 18" radome radar or the Open Array (which the latter I don't think will look good on my boat TBH, it'll be just too tacky LOL like a helicopter lmao) and now I have to add another circular antenna for the TV with the nav light and the ski tow bar and who knows what else, that arch is going to start looking like a magnet that a bunch of stuff just got stuck on it, especially domes and discs. At least that antenna in your last link is a better and has a better looking and a bit more subdued profile than the Shakespeare Sea Watch. So I'm still planning all this stuff. It needs to work well, but it definitely needs to look good to. I think a straight pole antenna like you have now is the best option, provided I can get an HD signal that won't interfere with the GPS radar. Asking too much? Then I have to think of possibly resale as a viable option even though we'll probably keep this boat even with an upgrade but who knows, things can change. So bottom line I still have no clue, but really appreciating all your input.

But, if I'm slipped, it would be nice to plug the 110 into the TV and go that way so I'm using shore power and not worrying about the batteries.

Keep in mind the television signal is severely interfered with in a metal, covered slip. Now, you may not have an issue where you boat, but I can only receive one channel in the slip, and about 8 out on the water. I don't plan to use the television in the slip because of this (and the fact that a boat belongs out on the water!).

I need to shoot a photo of the top of my arch for you. I've got the following items on it and it really doesn't look too bad:

Radar (dome...I agree open array is a little much)

TV Antenna (mine is quite a bit smaller than the Shakespeare)

Raymarine GPS receiver

Sirius satellite receiver

Anchor light

I don't have the ski tow bar, but would love to see it. I didn't know the arch could support the strain of a skiier/tuber. I have problems using the ski eye on the swim platform...too low to the water.

So far, the way our 246 came from the factory has met most of our desires. My list is pretty simple so far:

- At purchase I added a second battery and new Perko switch but we kept the original single switch intact as well so I use it as the master power switch and the new Perko merely switches between #1 & #2.

- I confirmed with the tech at my dealer that the way it is wired from the factory, the automatic bilge does NOT work with the battery switched to OFF. The tech ran the float switch in the bilge that triggers the pump directly off the battery.

- I added the AutoGlide controller to my Lenco trimtabs.

Planning in progress:

- As a consequence of the AutoGlide, I now have NMEA 2000 network including a Garmin NMEA2K GPS antenna. Next year I plan to expand to include the Mercury NMEA Gateway to read engine data so I can eventually get to a glass cockpit merging fuel burn rate and RPM, GPS and chartplotter data all on a single piece of glass yet to be determined.

- The admiral is unhappy with the absence of cupholders at the swim platform of the SSi WT's so I will also be working on a clever mod during the offseason to accommodate her requirements. This may include a mod to accommodate a grill but I'm thinking about working out something in the cooler storage area under the sunpad with the lounging headrest in the up position and the cooler removed. I don't want to put any kind of receiver hardware on my swim platform. Doodling around with designs for that right now....

- I am currently working on a pet boarding assistant device as well. Several good ideas from the other thread that was posted but I am going to pursue a slightly more elegant solution in the offseason.

Keep in mind the television signal is severely interfered with in a metal, covered slip. Now, you may not have an issue where you boat, but I can only receive one channel in the slip, and about 8 out on the water. I don't plan to use the television in the slip because of this (and the fact that a boat belongs out on the water!).

I agree, 100%! I clearly remember you mentioning that lack of reception at the slip house. I'm not too worried about that to tell you the truth because I agree, you gotta be out on the water, BUT, for those nights where you can gather a few friends and maybe have dinner and catch a game on the boat and not necessarily feel like taking her out in the dark, it might serve that purpose. But good looking out.

I think you mentioned this before, but some people take the "slip life" a bit too seriously and lay out oriental rugs with leather couches and coffee tables and recliners and dining table and chairs and big-screen tv's lol. :D Makes you wonder if they bought the boat just for that. I can see where a slip can be party central, though.

I need to shoot a photo of the top of my arch for you. I've got the following items on it and it really doesn't look too bad:

Radar (dome...I agree open array is a little much)

TV Antenna (mine is quite a bit smaller than the Shakespeare)

Raymarine GPS receiver

Sirius satellite receiver

Anchor light

YES YES YES PLEASE a photo of your entire arch! :)

I don't have the ski tow bar, but would love to see it. I didn't know the arch could support the strain of a skiier/tuber. I have problems using the ski eye on the swim platform...too low to the water.

You ask, you shall receive! The least I can do with all the help you've given us, here.

This came with the boat and it was factory installed as far as I know. Some of the guys who have newer boats can chime in if they wish. I think the new ones are slightly different, maybe more robust than this flimsy-looking thing. But supposedly it does the job. We'll find out next summer, for sure.

Top of the arch:

IMG_2296_zps23fb4fff.jpg

Close-up:

IMG_2299_zpse3db27b0.jpg

And that bottom part spins freely for the line:

IMG_2300_zpsd3ce5a81.jpg

Hatem: I don't think you will need much of an antenna. I use a small one and have it behind the T.V. I pick up most of the local channels, about 15 of them.

Your problem is going to be the salt air and the salt spray.

As to radar, just make sure the the anchor light is high enough over it.

This came with the boat and it was factory installed as far as I know. Some of the guys who have newer boats can chime in if they wish. I think the new ones are slightly different, maybe more robust than this flimsy-looking thing. But supposedly it does the job. We'll find out next summer, for sure.

Thanks, Hatem! I've never seen one on the arch like that. I will look into it. I wonder how (or if) the aft bimini interferes with the tow rope. I see yours is neatly folded, but I haven't moved mine out of the "deployed" position primarily because of all the snaps I'll have to deal with and really haven't had a reason to. I'd hate to have to put the bimini up then down for water sports, but it looks like it might interfere if I don't.

I'll get some photos of the arch next time I'm up at the boat (it's just over an hour drive and $20 in fuel!). Went up there yesterday evening and replaced a bilge pump float switch that had gone out. Wish I had seen your post earlier. But I'll try to get one this weekend if we go up there. Looking like a stormy weekend.

Many thanks for the pics!

IMG_1098_zps81ab2f74.jpg

IMG_1101_zps0b75e766.jpg

That is beautiful flooring! Easy to install? Adhesive?

Thanks, Hatem! I've never seen one on the arch like that. I will look into it. I wonder how (or if) the aft bimini interferes with the tow rope. I see yours is neatly folded, but I haven't moved mine out of the "deployed" position primarily because of all the snaps I'll have to deal with and really haven't had a reason to. I'd hate to have to put the bimini up then down for water sports, but it looks like it might interfere if I don't.

No problem at all. The bimini does have to come down, for sure. I believe that's one of the reasons Chaparral has changed bimini mounts and the arch style on their new SSX line with that full aluminum frame with those round, welded brackets on the arches and full bimini cover because that ski tow bar has been located to the back of that newly welded, arch frame. By pushing it to the back, the bimini stays on all the time.

SSX_277_Run_03_13.jpg

Although they still make the 276 style with the SS poles supporting the bimini top and you still have to take it off to use the ski tow bar, they just call that boat the 287 now.

http://www.chaparralboats.com/2013/chaparral/Chaparral-Boat.php?boat_id=57&page=gallery

But I would check the arch on the Signature first before using it that way. I did notice on some of those boats that the arches are just a bit narrower and might not have that intended use. My guess is they probably do but I would triple check to be sure.

That would actually be a pretty decent mod.

I'll get some photos of the arch next time I'm up at the boat (it's just over an hour drive and $20 in fuel!). Went up there yesterday evening and replaced a bilge pump float switch that had gone out. Wish I had seen your post earlier. But I'll try to get one this weekend if we go up there. Looking like a stormy weekend.

No worries at all. Thanks very much, TP.

The tech ran the float switch in the bilge that triggers the pump directly off the battery.

That's the way it should be and the way they set them up is a bit of a head scratcher for me, the fact that the bilge pump operates only if the battery switch is on. Shouldn't that function be wire so it feeds of the battery without the need to turn it on? It should barely suck up any power, if any, that way, but you shouldn't have to turn the battery on to get the pump running but that's just me. One of my quirks.

Planning in progress:

- As a consequence of the AutoGlide, I now have NMEA 2000 network including a Garmin NMEA2K GPS antenna. Next year I plan to expand to include the Mercury NMEA Gateway to read engine data so I can eventually get to a glass cockpit merging fuel burn rate and RPM, GPS and chartplotter data all on a single piece of glass yet to be determined.

- The admiral is unhappy with the absence of cupholders at the swim platform of the SSi WT's so I will also be working on a clever mod during the offseason to accommodate her requirements. This may include a mod to accommodate a grill but I'm thinking about working out something in the cooler storage area under the sunpad with the lounging headrest in the up position and the cooler removed. I don't want to put any kind of receiver hardware on my swim platform. Doodling around with designs for that right now....

- I am currently working on a pet boarding assistant device as well. Several good ideas from the other thread that was posted but I am going to pursue a slightly more elegant solution in the offseason.

Cool to get all the info on one piece of glass and as nice as the sporty helm package on the boat is, I don't like how I have to switch between engine temp, fuel flow, depth finder, digital RPM readout and another option or two. I'd like to have it set up with all that info visible in one shot but the depth finder on a main, larger port. Then just switch each function you want to the larger and more prominent and visible setting, like in the middle with bigger numbers. But they should all be listed, all the time and not have to swith and bring up one at a time. Very cumbersome operation when you're moving at a good clip and one thing I definitely don't like about my set-up.

A grill would be very nice, even just to heat up some food. You don't need to cook a rare T-Bone steak off the swim platform lol.

Mine is a very respectable, king's fishing seat or the SP. :D

What's the issue with the pooch getting on the boat?

Cool to get all the info on one piece of glass and as nice as the sporty helm package on the boat is, I don't like how I have to switch between engine temp, fuel flow, depth finder, digital RPM readout and another option or two. I'd like to have it set up with all that info visible in one shot but the depth finder on a main, larger port. Then just switch each function you want to the larger and more prominent and visible setting, like in the middle with bigger numbers. But they should all be listed, all the time and not have to swith and bring up one at a time. Very cumbersome operation when you're moving at a good clip and one thing I definitely don't like about my set-up.

What's the issue with the pooch getting on the boat?

I haven't figured out yet what that piece of glass will be - I've looked at the Lowrance HDS and Elite chartplotter lines and the equivalent Garmin models - that is a LOT of deer for a boat that's basically a river runner. I may look for some third party stuff for an Android or iPad device just to see what people are doing with NMEA2K data in third party apps. I know a lot of the sailing buffs want to tie instrumentation data from the mast, the radar, and the engine and a sailing buddy of mine talks a lot about his NMEA wireless network on his boat that has all his stuff talking to each other. Not sure how far down that rabbit hole I want to go but unfortunately I am tech nerd/gearhead/engineer after all....

Got a little pooch (Dachshund) that we can scoop up onto the swim platform, no problem. Just inherited the eldest son's 55 lb dog that we can't lift up onto the platform and we've got about 8"-10" of air gap between the water line and the top of the swim platform so no way he can get up on his own, either. I've got a couple of prototypes I've been playing with in the garage so I'll keep tinkering on that. The idea I am trying to put together is a rip-off of the Cobalt swim-step platform idea but got to say they have completely nailed it from a factory-built accessory point of view. That one option is what kept the Cobalt R3 in the mix when we were looking last year but the Admiral wouldn't approve the appropriation for what they were asking. We're completely happy with our Chap but I sure do like that Cobalt swim platform....