Hatem

What are some cool modifications you've done to your boat?

1,213 posts in this topic

Cool to get all the info on one piece of glass and as nice as the sporty helm package on the boat is, I don't like how I have to switch between engine temp, fuel flow, depth finder, digital RPM readout and another option or two. I'd like to have it set up with all that info visible in one shot but the depth finder on a main, larger port. Then just switch each function you want to the larger and more prominent and visible setting, like in the middle with bigger numbers. But they should all be listed, all the time and not have to swith and bring up one at a time. Very cumbersome operation when you're moving at a good clip and one thing I definitely don't like about my set-up.

What's the issue with the pooch getting on the boat?

I haven't figured out yet what that piece of glass will be - I've looked at the Lowrance HDS and Elite chartplotter lines and the equivalent Garmin models - that is a LOT of deer for a boat that's basically a river runner. I may look for some third party stuff for an Android or iPad device just to see what people are doing with NMEA2K data in third party apps. I know a lot of the sailing buffs want to tie instrumentation data from the mast, the radar, and the engine and a sailing buddy of mine talks a lot about his NMEA wireless network on his boat that has all his stuff talking to each other. Not sure how far down that rabbit hole I want to go but unfortunately I am tech nerd/gearhead/engineer after all....

Got a little pooch (Dachshund) that we can scoop up onto the swim platform, no problem. Just inherited the eldest son's 55 lb dog that we can't lift up onto the platform and we've got about 8"-10" of air gap between the water line and the top of the swim platform so no way he can get up on his own, either. I've got a couple of prototypes I've been playing with in the garage so I'll keep tinkering on that. The idea I am trying to put together is a rip-off of the Cobalt swim-step platform idea but got to say they have completely nailed it from a factory-built accessory point of view. That one option is what kept the Cobalt R3 in the mix when we were looking last year but the Admiral wouldn't approve the appropriation for what they were asking. We're completely happy with our Chap but I sure do like that Cobalt swim platform....

NMEA2k network is easy to install. Its really old networking technology enhanced for boats.

I have my GPS, fish finder, AIS, VHF, 2 fuel flow senors, electronic compass, Fusion head & 3 remotes all connected exchanging data.

NMEA2k network is easy to install. Its really old networking technology enhanced for boats.

I have my GPS, fish finder, AIS, VHF, 2 fuel flow senors, electronic compass, Fusion head & 3 remotes all connected exchanging data.

This is a stupid question, but is there a way to tell by looking exactly what wire (or wire bundles) constitute an NMEA2k network? I think my boat has it, but I'm not sure.

I'd like to add some engine parameter functionality to my Raymarine C70, but I'm not sure what to connect and what kind of connector I need. I have radar, fishfinder transducer, gps, and satellite weather/radio coming into my C70, but nothing from the engines. However, my "square gauge" tachometer does indicate fuel flow and other engine parameters, so I believe it's receiving that data via NMEA2k. All this makes me believe it's a simple connection to my C70. Is this something you can answer for me?

From what I have seen it is all cables that connect together. I have not seen any individual wiring.

Correction, apparently my C70 uses a SeaTalk network, but will display data from a NMEA 2000 network component. I've asked Raymarine but their technical answer was far beyond my understanding.

I am an avionics tech. If you want, I might be able to "translate" it.

Thanks! Here's a link to my question and Raymarine's canned answer. I'm starting to lose interest, but I bet there's a simple solution here.

Thanks! Here's a link to my question and Raymarine's canned answer. I'm starting to lose interest, but I bet there's a simple solution here.

Basically if you have a mercmonitor, you can connect the C70 to it. If you do not, then you will need a seatalk to make a NMEA network. If you do not have NMEA 2000 but you have J1939 data busses then you can use a maretron J2100 adapter.

This is a very simplified explanation.

Basically if you have a mercmonitor, you can connect the C70 to it. If you do not, then you will need a seatalk to make a NMEA network. If you do not have NMEA 2000 but you have J1939 data busses then you can use a maretron J2100 adapter.

Maybe it's simple for you guys. :slap: I can barely figure out which buttons to push on my head unit!!

One thing I have to say is, jd50i has the nicest garage I have ever seen. :)

:blush: That is Starboard Marine in Buford, Ga. where I bought it. GREAT sales staff, don't care for their mechanics.

I guess that's my problem. I don't know what I have (don't have a Mercmonitor, though). I believe 2008 was the first year for the square digital tachometer with lcd panel. That lcd panel receives all sorts of data like fuel level, tach, engine and seawater temp, depth, etc., so I'm guessing I have a Sea Talk system feeding that data. Just trying to understand how to feed that data to the C70.

That is beautiful flooring! Easy to install? Adhesive?

I had the plas-deck dealer install it. There is a technique and I didn't want to cut my teeth on my own boat. I used TT Custom Marine and the owner (Travis Tea) came from NC to NJ to do the install himself. They may already have the templates for your boat. If so, you may be able to install yourself. Travis can walk you through it over the phone or he will travel to you if you really want him to.

Hatem: I don't think you will need much of an antenna. I use a small one and have it behind the T.V. I pick up most of the local channels, about 15 of them.

Your problem is going to be the salt air and the salt spray.

As to radar, just make sure the the anchor light is high enough over it.

Thanks, Iggy. Where is your TV, up in the cockpit or are you talking about the one in the galley or forward berth?

Here is a link that goes into NMEA2k wiring: http://www.michaelkintner.com/interesting/boating/GPSMAP4008_NMEA2000NetworkFundamentals.pdf

You want to plan out the network, more so for future add ons. The even make a hub whick saves space, no tees. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|2028705|2028880&id=1243250

Hatem: Mine is mounted by the galley.

Thanks Ig. So what channels do you get? Let me guess, WBZ4, 5, 7, Fox 25.....ESPN at all? :D

I wonder, just out of curiosity if there is a Direct TV package they have? It would be interesting to find out anyway. It would be great to get NESN.

Here is a link that goes into NMEA2k wiring: http://www.michaelkintner.com/interesting/boating/GPSMAP4008_NMEA2000NetworkFundamentals.pdf

You want to plan out the network, more so for future add ons. The even make a hub whick saves space, no tees. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|2028705|2028880&id=1243250

Hatem: Mine is mounted by the galley.

Thanks Iggy. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not interested in running a NEMA2k network. I simply want to understand what I have and how easy it would be to connect it to the C70. The data is carried to the helm in some fashion already (SeaTalk?) I am just trying to understand how to connect the C70 to that data source.

Thanks Iggy. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not interested in running a NEMA2k network. I simply want to understand what I have and how easy it would be to connect it to the C70. The data is carried to the helm in some fashion already (SeaTalk?) I am just trying to understand how to connect the C70 to that data source.

I am afraid you do not have many options for interconnecting various incompatible and proprietary devices/protocols other than to use N2K as an integrator. If your engine is pre 2008 then it uses older analog J1939 protocol and you need Maretron J2100 like adapter to translate it to N2K. Then you need to connect from N2K to your C70. Unless you can find SeaTalk to J1939 adapter, the N2K is your option assuming that C70 supports N2K.

Thanks Ig. So what channels do you get? Let me guess, WBZ4, 5, 7, Fox 25.....ESPN at all? :D

I wonder, just out of curiosity if there is a Direct TV package they have? It would be interesting to find out anyway. It would be great to get NESN.

I get 4, 5, 7, 25, 38, 56, MeTv and a bunch more. We only use the TV on those rainy days or nights. If we watch 8 hours of TV this year, on the boat, thats a lot for us.

Now we Dish at home, they do make a "tailgate" package. Thats a sat dish that will lock onto the sat signal, but it will not follow it which is a big problem. So the boat swings or the tide changes more that 2 feet, you loose the signal.

I get 4, 5, 7, 25, 38, 56, MeTv and a bunch more. We only use the TV on those rainy days or nights. If we watch 8 hours of TV this year, on the boat, thats a lot for us.

Now we Dish at home, they do make a "tailgate" package. Thats a sat dish that will lock onto the sat signal, but it will not follow it which is a big problem. So the boat swings or the tide changes more that 2 feet, you loose the signal.

You guys and your TVs. :slap: I'm not going to give you all any trouble, everyone has their own thing. :rolleyes: It's just that when I'm out on the water, I'm getting out there to escape from the real world which includes TV. One thing I enjoy is the disconnect. OK, yes we do have the radio but mostly just play our own music.

All that being said, If I would ever get into a cuddy or a small cruiser that I would be overnighting in, I would have a TV in it. It would be the nicest and biggest TV I could fit in it. :banana2: