Hatem

What are some cool modifications you've done to your boat?

1,201 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Exoset said:an autopilot before, really magic, just pin point somewhere on the map, select yes to enable auto pilot and you become another passenger :P

Everything work great and as expected except the trims, they are not equal between the 2 engines even after calibrating them, it bothering me.

Still have to fit the refrigerator (drawer) on the cockpit and plug the WetSounds HTX6 amp for the 6 speakers on the outside. Also need to find a way to plug the wiper...

Permateek is also scheduled, will do a before-after video when finished.

Dude, that's amazing!!  I'd love to do all that to my boat, but I wouldn't do it unless I had something a bit bigger.  Amazing work.  You will enjoy that for years!

1 minute ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Dude, that's amazing!!  I'd love to do all that to my boat, but I wouldn't do it unless I had something a bit bigger.  Amazing work.  You will enjoy that for years!

Thanks TP ;). Not reading between the lines but I hear you a lot talking about an upgrade since your trip in the Bahamas, am I wrong ? :P

I have done it last year (270 2007 to 290 2004), and there is nothing to regret about it, even if the new boat is older than the previous. 2 engines, a lot of added space, even after almost a year working in the boat, if I had to, I will do it all over again without hesitation.

1 hour ago, Exoset said:

Thanks TP ;). Not reading between the lines but I hear you a lot talking about an upgrade since your trip in the Bahamas, am I wrong ? :P

I have done it last year (270 2007 to 290 2004), and there is nothing to regret about it, even if the new boat is older than the previous. 2 engines, a lot of added space, even after almost a year working in the boat, if I had to, I will do it all over again without hesitation.

Yes, we would love something larger.  I just invested 7k in a trailer for this boat, though.  I'd want to be able to trailer the larger boat to the coast as well.  Worried about permits, etc with a larger boat.  I too don't mind older for the next boat...I like to upgrade components and I have a much better understanding of all these systems than I did three years ago.

But it will probably be a year or more away at this point.  Trying to make some transitions with wife's work, selling and buying a new house, etc.  You know...life stuff.  So we may delay any kind of upgrade until then.

19 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Yes, we would love something larger.  I just invested 7k in a trailer for this boat, though.  I'd want to be able to trailer the larger boat to the coast as well.  Worried about permits, etc with a larger boat.  I too don't mind older for the next boat...I like to upgrade components and I have a much better understanding of all these systems than I did three years ago.

But it will probably be a year or more away at this point.  Trying to make some transitions with wife's work, selling and buying a new house, etc.  You know...life stuff.  So we may delay any kind of upgrade until then.

We have the same truck so I don't think weight will be an issue. About the trailer, I also have a story. I bought a full ss trailer in May 2016 for my Sig 270, I bought the Sig 290 in August 2016.

I was just playing with the idea of an upgrade during our holidays down in the Keys, it became a necessity when we learned that my wife was pregnant. I could have wait but I saw a good deal at my chap dealer for a Sig 2004 and he offers me a good price for my Sig 270 + the brand new trailer.

My point is : Just look around without searching but... just look around, that's how I found my 290.

About permits, I should be able to help you next year, I guess I will just ask to a company to do it for me otherwise I will have to call each state... I towed the 290 (10ft beam) for the first time a couple days ago and it is not so different than my Sig 270 (8.6 ft Beam).

For the record and if you want the boat to be towable forget the 310 before 2010 :

290 before 2010 : 30.8 ft long / 10 ft wide

290 after 2010 : 29 ft long / 9.6 ft wide

310 before 2010 : 33.4 ft long / 10.7 ft wide

310 after 2010 : 31 ft long / 10 ft wide

6 hours ago, Exoset said:

We have the same truck so I don't think weight will be an issue. About the trailer, I also have a story. I bought a full ss trailer in May 2016 for my Sig 270, I bought the Sig 290 in August 2016.

I was just playing with the idea of an upgrade during our holidays down in the Keys, it became a necessity when we learned that my wife was pregnant. I could have wait but I saw a good deal at my chap dealer for a Sig 2004 and he offers me a good price for my Sig 270 + the brand new trailer.

My point is : Just look around without searching but... just look around, that's how I found my 290.

About permits, I should be able to help you next year, I guess I will just ask to a company to do it for me otherwise I will have to call each state... I towed the 290 (10ft beam) for the first time a couple days ago and it is not so different than my Sig 270 (8.6 ft Beam).

For the record and if you want the boat to be towable forget the 310 before 2010 :

290 before 2010 : 30.8 ft long / 10 ft wide

290 after 2010 : 29 ft long / 9.6 ft wide

310 before 2010 : 33.4 ft long / 10.7 ft wide

310 after 2010 : 31 ft long / 10 ft wide

Great advice!  I'll keep my eyes open!

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:29 PM, Exoset said:

Bringing back the boat to the Marina :

705414IMG0238.jpg

Launching the boat :

202766IMG0242.jpg

At the dock :

161539IMG0246.jpg

Testing all the electronic :

989378IMG0257.jpg

Never had an autopilot before, really magic, just pin point somewhere on the map, select yes to enable auto pilot and you become another passenger :P

Everything work great and as expected except the trims, they are not equal between the 2 engines even after calibrating them, it bothering me.

Still have to fit the refrigerator (drawer) on the cockpit and plug the WetSounds HTX6 amp for the 6 speakers on the outside. Also need to find a way to plug the wiper...

Permateek is also scheduled, will do a before-after video when finished.

Outstanding!  What a perfect fit for that Garmin GPS.  That was a boatload of terrific mods, pun intended. 

Thanks for the update and all the pics. 

Added a "central vac" system to my 264 Sunesta. Been using an Amorall 2hp shopvac for carpet clean up and to inflate and deflate our massive Super Mabel tube for the past few years (it's been a real champ) and decided to make it more user friendly. Instead of pulling it in and out of its hold and dealing with the cords, vac body, and hose tangling up on the deck, I decided to plumb in some ports and use a 15' vac hose.

started with two of these, trimmed off the top and bottom rings and hole saw cut two holes in the top of the sub enclosure:

IMG_1692

Used a 200amp marine relay to power on the 1000w inverter, triggered by a marine toggle switch. Vac can be left in the on position and inverter will power on and off normally:

IMG_2980

I also moved the cushion locating tab a little bit to line up with the edge of the toggle switch so even if someone forgets to switch it off manually, the seat cushion flips it off. I didn't want to spend the time to route the inverter wires all the way across to the master power switch, so this is next best fail safe:

IMG_1694

Finished set up:

IMG_2977

4 hours ago, Toddavid said:

Added a "central vac" system to my 264 Sunesta. Been using an Amorall 2hp shopvac for carpet clean up and to inflate and deflate our massive Super Mabel tube for the past few years (it's been a real champ) and decided to make it more user friendly. Instead of pulling it in and out of its hold and dealing with the cords, vac body, and hose tangling up on the deck, I decided to plumb in some ports and use a 15' vac hose.

started with two of these, trimmed off the top and bottom rings and hole saw cut two holes in the top of the sub enclosure:

IMG_1692

Used a 200amp marine relay to power on the 1000w inverter, triggered by a marine toggle switch. Vac can be left in the on position and inverter will power on and off normally:

IMG_2980

I also moved the cushion locating tab a little bit to line up with the edge of the toggle switch so even if someone forgets to switch it off manually, the seat cushion flips it off. I didn't want to spend the time to route the inverter wires all the way across to the master power switch, so this is next best fail safe:

IMG_1694

Finished set up:

IMG_2977

Nice, well done.  Denny.

The older boat you have, the easier you go and do the mods - drill, cut, replace, etc. and not sorry much about mistakes. They are easy to fix on boats. 

I did tonns of mods - replaced carpet, modified boat cover to use with wakeboard tower, seats upholstery,  helm, all the light bulbs to leds, speakers, receiver; added wakeboard tower, bimini top, trim control switch to stern, courtesy lights, motor compartment lights, motor sound insulation, main power switch, 12V  sockets, usb chargers. And all the motor repairs and maintenance.

All by myself except upholstery replacement.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:56 PM, Toddavid said:

Brilliant.  No wonder your boat is so clean.

11 hours ago, Hatem said:

Brilliant.  No wonder your boat is so clean.

Vac is really really idea, I like it too.

After carpet replacement no one stepped in my boat in shoes. It is day and night difference, Vac can't help with tar.

On 7/11/2017 at 9:50 AM, Exoset said:

Love the look!!!!!!!!! WOW!!

I have a 2011 290 with the same helm setup. I should take pics of it but I am too lazy to post them. I would need to resize them. 

I installed at the time a Garmin 740 & 740S. Now I replaced them with two Garmin 741 units. One into the center of the helm, on the high side and one mounted just in front but on its bracket. The two 741 units have no sonar. I than installed a Garmin GCV 10 black box sonar that acts as a network hub too. I already had the Garmin 18HD radar. So now the two 741 units and the radar dome plug into the GCV10. Now the two 741 units can display radar and sonar and of course GPS. I can mix what to display on ether unit. Mainly the upper one I use for GPS and overlay the radar and the lower to display sonar and engines tech readings. Also I have a AIS unit that is NMEA2k that works will too. The AIS also displays vectors were the radar can not. Need a better unit for that.

I tapped into the engines computer with a J1939 to NMEA2k gatway. Both GPS units can display both engine readings. Which is great because it is a digital read out.

2 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Love the look!!!!!!!!! WOW!!

I have a 2011 290 with the same helm setup. I should take pics of it but I am too lazy to post them. I would need to resize them. 

I installed at the time a Garmin 740 & 740S. Now I replaced them with two Garmin 741 units. One into the center of the helm, on the high side and one mounted just in front but on its bracket. The two 741 have no sonar. I than installed a Garmin GCV 10 black box sonar that acts as a network hub too. I already had the Garmin 18HD radar. So now the two 741 units and the radar dome plug into the GCV10. Now the two 741 units can display radar and sonar and of course GPS. I can mix what to display on ether unit. Mainly the upper one I use for GPS and overlay the radar and the lower to display sonar and engines tech readings. Also I have a AIS unit that is NMEA2k that works will too. The AIS also displays vectors were the radar can not. Need a better unit for that.

I tapped into the engines computer with a J1939 to NMEA2k gatway. Both GPS units can display both engine readings.   

Thanks Iggy, I wish I could find a 2009 but they all had too many hours or no genny etc... so I went with a 2004.

I went with a Garmin 7412 xsv because I wanted to go as big as possible, I still think about a Radar but I am afraid to be to high on the road :(. I really hesitated with a J1939/NMEA2K gateway but in the end, I went with 2 Vesselview(s) and the Gateway Smartcraft/NMEA2K is integrated in the screen :). The autopilot is what I recommend the most... Perhaps because I never had one before...

Is the Radar a device you would recommend ? I guess it depends on your boat usage...

24 minutes ago, Exoset said:

Thanks Iggy, I wish I could find a 2009 but they all had too many hours or no genny etc... so I went with a 2004.

I went with a Garmin 7412 xsv because I wanted to go as big as possible, I still think about a Radar but I am afraid to be to high on the road :(. I really hesitated with a J1939/NMEA2K gateway but in the end, I went with 2 Vesselview(s) and the Gateway Smartcraft/NMEA2K is integrated in the screen :). The autopilot is what I recommend the most... Perhaps because I never had one before...

Is the Radar a device you would recommend ? I guess it depends on your boat usage...

Yes on the radar!! I would go with a the Garmin 24HD unit. My wife bought me the 18" but at the time I did not know any better. Meaning, the 24" will give you better separation of targets. At times the two channel bouys look like one target. The 18" unit has a 5 deg beam were the 24" has a 2.5 deg beam. 

I have Volvo engines with the standard square gauges. Than the tech meter on one engine failed. That tech goes for 800 were the gateway was 175.

I felt that the bigger unit would still be to small if I split the screen. So I went with the two 7" units and it also gives me a back up unit if one fails. The auto pilot is nice!! Thats on the next boat, the wife want more than me a 34 to 36 footer. Shoot me now!

49 minutes ago, Exoset said:

I just have the normal arch on my 290.  It used to have the TV dome (starship enterprise) on the arch but that was forceably removed one year when the 14' high shop door was not quite all the way up when putting it away for the winter.  Long story short, my concern would also be height if you trailer and I see you do Exoset.  I think the top of the arch is about 13'3" so not much more room to add radar and still get it under the shop door.

Exoset, my question is the new hardtop you installed very close to the same height as the regular arch Chap put on our boats?

My boat came with a radar arch. I don't trailer it, the boat dry is 9500lbs. Than add the fuel and gear, thats about 10,300lbs. The trailer is 2k if not more, so that must be in the 12,500lbs range. OH, don't forget to add on any passages.

So I store it in a boat yard for the winter and the slip at the Club for the summer.  

20 hours ago, IdahoPearl said:

I just have the normal arch on my 290.  It used to have the TV dome (starship enterprise) on the arch but that was forceably removed one year when the 14' high shop door was not quite all the way up when putting it away for the winter.  Long story short, my concern would also be height if you trailer and I see you do Exoset.  I think the top of the arch is about 13'3" so not much more room to add radar and still get it under the shop door.

Exoset, my question is the new hardtop you installed very close to the same height as the regular arch Chap put on our boats?

yes it is, overall on the trailer the old arch took me at 13.3", with the hardtop it is now 13.4", 13.5" with the new horn on the hardtop, as soon as I stay below 13.6 I am good to go on Interstates.

Check the bridge clearance on the 310 : http://www.guideautoweb.com/boat/specifications/chaparral/signature_cruiser/310_signature/2012/ we talk about 10.6".

If you look at the specs of the 290 it is 10 feet : http://www.theboatrack.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=15865

In real life and because the hardtop sits lower on the 290 than the 310 you barely have a difference of 0.1" or 0.2" between the arch and the hardtop not the 0.6" I expected.

But you have to know the hardtop is heavier than the arch, I didn't see any problem so far with twin 260 HP, hole shot remain the same.

20 hours ago, Iggy said:

My boat came with a radar arch. I don't trailer it, the boat dry is 9500lbs. Than add the fuel and gear, thats about 10,300lbs. The trailer is 2k if not more, so that must be in the 12,500lbs range. OH, don't forget to add on any passages.

So I store it in a boat yard for the winter and the slip at the Club for the summer.  

I will go to the scale in a couple of weeks, I will let you know about the weight difference, the trailer is able to take 15-16K and the truck should be able to tow 15KI think I will be ok but worst case I will upgrade my 2500 Cummins for a 3500.

On 9/8/2017 at 1:39 PM, Exoset said:

I will go to the scale in a couple of weeks, I will let you know about the weight difference, the trailer is able to take 15-16K and the truck should be able to tow 15KI think I will be ok but worst case I will upgrade my 2500 Cummins for a 3500.

In Mass you also need a wide load permit if its over 8 1/2 feet wide. My 290 is 9 1/2 feet wide. Also, for me to buy a that big of a truck and trailer for 2 times a year. Well for me, its not worth it. 

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

In Mass you also need a wide load permit if its over 8 1/2 feet wide. My 290 is 9 1/2 feet wide. Also, for me to buy a that big of a truck and trailer for 2 times a year. Well for me, its not worth it. 

Mine is 10 ft wide (pre 2010), I already have the wide load permit which is the only one I need :)

23 minutes ago, Exoset said:

Mine is 10 ft wide (pre 2010), I already have the wide load permit which is the only one I need :)

There you go!!