Hatem

What are some cool modifications you've done to your boat?

1,213 posts in this topic

Hey all, Newbie Chris here. 2002 Chaparral 230 SSI. We're a young family and it's our first boat. We are in northern Minnesota.

Two requirements we absolutely didn't have were the porta potty and sink. I've taken the porta potty out and made the enclosure a comfortable (and warm) spot for the kiddos. I'm happy with leaving it at that, although I'll have to figure out a way to prevent my two year old from turning down the volume on the aftermarket stereo inside!

That leaves the sink. The most creative thing my friends and family have offered is to use it as an ice bucket for white wine and bubbly when entertaining guests. Yeah, okay, I can't wait to take advantage of that twice a year and, oh yeah, there's a cooler right below it. I've thought about trying to transform it into a workstation that could extend to the captains chair for those work-from-boat days. I've thought about transforming it into a sub woofer enclosure. That's as far as my imagination has taken me. Right now, it just holds my tie ropes which is about as unimaginative as it gets.

Any brilliant ideas out there?! Much appreciated!

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:09 PM, Exoset said:

I had to upgrade the truck to :P

IMG_0417.jpg

Very sweet.  I'll always be a Ford guy, though.  :lol:

2 hours ago, ColdOne said:

I hate spell checker.... Hatem

I could not post with out it.  Denny.

17 hours ago, Hatem said:

Very sweet.  I'll always be a Ford guy, though.  :lol:

Hehe I checked the Ford Super Duty but there was 2 things bothering me :

1. Ford don't make Mega Cab and the truck is recreational, and I need the additional space in the cabin, I don't use it for work or else

2. I do like the layout of RAM interior, much more than the one in the Ford

I like the double sunroof in the Ford and the new front layout.

In the end, and despite the ''war'' between Ford/RAM/GM, I think there is no more bad trucks today. they are all very good trucks, it is just a matter of taste :)

I just wanted a truck tough enough to tow 15 K and since all 3500/350 tow above 20 K I just had to go with the one I liked most ;)

@Exoset:

So, I'm really interested in changing over to the VesselView 4 as you did.  Where did you buy your units?  I'm finding one on eBay in the $800 range, but they are very few and far between otherwise.  If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on each?  Is $800 high or low?

Appreciate the help!

56 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

@Exoset:

So, I'm really interested in changing over to the VesselView 4 as you did.  Where did you buy your units?  I'm finding one on eBay in the $800 range, but they are very few and far between otherwise.  If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on each?  Is $800 high or low?

Appreciate the help!

Bought it on eBay too, weird thing about VV4 is that it stays high in terms of price because the newer VV are larger than 4 inches and because of that, a lot of people don't have enough room to fit the newest models, and consequently, there is a strong demand on VV4. I would say 800$ is a pretty good price, they dropped to 500-600 a couple months ago but now they are back to their original price.

Merc stopped producing them for now because of the VV 502/702 so they should become more and more difficult to find, if you want one, don't wait too long, I guess you won't be able to find them in a near future.

Two mods I am in the middle of doing is adding a fumoto valve and push/pull cable to the oil pan to drain the oil and adding 2 batteries along with a new switch panel since the original one is too small for the dual battery switch and isolator.

I found it odd I could not find a generic panel to buy and am having to make one myself.

On 11/28/2017 at 0:17 PM, Exoset said:

Bought it on eBay too, weird thing about VV4 is that it stays high in terms of price because the newer VV are larger than 4 inches and because of that, a lot of people don't have enough room to fit the newest models, and consequently, there is a strong demand on VV4. I would say 800$ is a pretty good price, they dropped to 500-600 a couple months ago but now they are back to their original price.

Merc stopped producing them for now because of the VV 502/702 so they should become more and more difficult to find, if you want one, don't wait too long, I guess you won't be able to find them in a near future.

Good stuff.  Thanks, man!