Hatem

What are some cool modifications you've done to your boat?

55 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Maybe when you get some time, you can show us how you set up the shore power panel.  That looks great, but I hope those marks in between the two panels are just pencil marks?!

That is just outstanding!  I like the way you made the mounting plate with a little left over at the ends but I'm surprised you were able to get in there to screw it down?!  Looks like you can barely fit a few fingers in there.

"Most" of those marks are just pencil marks.  I did slip a tiny bit with the dremel in one spot and made the cut a bit long.  It's on the list to fill and neaten up over the winter.  The pencil marks are gone now--I had to pull the DC panel to add a breaker for the 12V side of the fridge, and cleaned them up when it was off.  I also learned at that point that Chaparral can be a bit sloppy with their cuts--the opening for the DC panel was wide enough for the panel without the last accessory breaker on the far left, but not wide enough with the additional breaker in the panel.  

Next time I'm doing something on the back side of the panel, I'll get some pics, but here's the unit I used:

https://www.ezacdc.com/boat-wiring-products/marine-electrical-shore-power/

It didn't come with a remote outlet, but I may add one in the cabin over the winter.  it has 2 outlets on the back (all on the dual-pole breaker and the GFCI), so I have the 120V side of the fridge and the onboard charger in those outlets. 

For mounting the fridge, I took out the panel between the engine area and the cooler well to screw it down.  It still wasn't all that much fun, even with a right angle drill, but it got the job done.

I don't have enough door height on my garage for an express cruiser, so I'm trying to get as close as I can with a small cuddy :D

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Appreciate it very much.  Have you talked to Bill at all, recently?  Wonder how our old buddy is doing?  Hope all is well with him.

He’s doing well, been an interesting last few years for him. We hang out on the water several times a season. Still has his 257.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, sburke91 said:

I don't have enough door height on my garage for an express cruiser, so I'm trying to get as close as I can with a small cuddy :D

Nothing wrong with that, looks awesome. 

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:40 PM, Toddavid said:

He’s doing well, been an interesting last few years for him. We hang out on the water several times a season. Still has his 257.

Tell him I said hi when you see him again.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:04 AM, ColdOne said:

Hatem - My jump box has enough power for both functions. just make sure your switches are on.

So guess what?  I plugged the extension chord into the charger plug and I got full power!  Raised the dive and popped the hatch and even cranked the tunes.  Left it plugged in for the day and when I got home later, batteries were fully charged.  Couldn't believe it.  I thought that once those things die out, they're finished, especially if they've been in the boat for a very long time.

BTW, do you update your 741xs?  I usually have the dealer do it but this year I'm gonna try it myself, just need to find out how.

15 minutes ago, Hatem said:

So guess what?  I plugged the extension chord into the charger plug and I got full power!  Raised the dive and popped the hatch and even cranked the tunes.  Left it plugged in for the day and when I got home later, batteries were fully charged.  Couldn't believe it.  I thought that once those things die out, they're finished, especially if they've been in the boat for a very long time.

Hey Hatem, long time no talk!  How much capacity the batteries will have now depends on their age and how long they were flat.  You may find they wont crank the engine.  

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:45 PM, Dennis A said:

Hey Hatem, long time no talk!  How much capacity the batteries will have now depends on their age and how long they were flat.  You may find they wont crank the engine.  

#%^$&%$ you, Dennis!  Always right.  I should've never doubted you as I know better but since I had luck with plugging the chord in and after charging it for a day and then had plenty of power 5 days later to open the hatch and lower the drive and even crank the tunes, I figured I just might prove you wrong!  Even when I put the twiggies on the batteries today before cranking it up for the first time to warm the oil so I can extract it easily, I got 10.9vt on the starting battery and 11.7 on the 2 houses, so I figured I was golden!  Turned the key, got my three usual beeps, said a prayer and then...........pffft.  Nothing!  I was pissed cuz now I had to come here and confess, lol.

Oh well, I was planning on changing the batteries anyway since they are 4 years old now and have been dead through 2 winters.  But I changed the oil and the old stuff looked nice and golden so I was happy with that.  Changed the fuel filter and pulled the F-450 up to the hatch and jumped the batteries off the truck and cranked her and temp went up to 160 and hovered between that and 159 so that's good.

Got a bunch of other odds and ends I'm adding this year I'll keep updating the thread.

Ha,  I was hoping i wasn't right.  Looking forward to your future mods.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, Dennis A said:

Ha,  I was hoping i wasn't right.  Looking forward to your future mods.

BTW, just so you know, the word that got bleeped out with $%^#& was just 'd a m n" and nothing beyond that!  Don't want you to think I was cursing at you with a wicked insult or anything like that, buddy.  Funny how the forum software picks that up in this day and age.

Ended up with 3 new all-purpose batteries from West Marine and man those things are up there.  But at least I don't have to worry about power when we're out 15 miles in the ocean.  Can't cheap out on that kind of peace of mind.

Drew texted me a pic of his Sea Ray, finally got it all restored and splashed a couple of days ago.  That was quite the project but it looks good.  Too bad he's not a Chap guy anymore. 

15 hours ago, Hatem said:

BTW, just so you know, the word that got bleeped out with $%^#& was just 'd a m n" and nothing beyond that!  Don't want you to think I was cursing at you with a wicked insult or anything like that, buddy.  Funny how the forum software picks that up in this day and age.

Ended up with 3 new all-purpose batteries from West Marine and man those things are up there.  But at least I don't have to worry about power when we're out 15 miles in the ocean.  Can't cheap out on that kind of peace of mind.

Drew texted me a pic of his Sea Ray, finally got it all restored and splashed a couple of days ago.  That was quite the project but it looks good.  Too bad he's not a Chap guy anymore. 

Glad Drew is splashed.  He and I were trading updates on iBoats repair forum.  His work was far more than what I had to do.  I'll have to go over to iBoats to see if he has an update.

Not really too spectacular, but I think I am adding a remote light to the boat in a few weeks.  We often come up to the slip or dock at night after grabbing dinner or something.  I found a Bluetooth remote and receiver that can turn on some lights.  I am going to add one in the switch box at the transom, at the cockpit gate and one somewhere in the cockpit to light up my way to the helm to get to the other light switches.  I'll keep everyone posted.

16 hours ago, Hatem said:

No worries, I found it entertaining as others have called me worse!  I think I got the same pic on Monday.  I think he is headed the sail route after this one.  

9 hours ago, Roady68 said:

Glad Drew is splashed.  He and I were trading updates on iBoats repair forum.  His work was far more than what I had to do.  I'll have to go over to iBoats to see if he has an update.

Yeah that was a huge undertaking.  Glad he's off and running.  He said he's only been out 3 times or so in the last year.

9 hours ago, Roady68 said:

Not really too spectacular, but I think I am adding a remote light to the boat in a few weeks.  We often come up to the slip or dock at night after grabbing dinner or something.  I found a Bluetooth remote and receiver that can turn on some lights.  I am going to add one in the switch box at the transom, at the cockpit gate and one somewhere in the cockpit to light up my way to the helm to get to the other light switches.  I'll keep everyone posted.

Yes, please do.  Would love to see the process to installing a remote light.

8 hours ago, Dennis A said:

No worries, I found it entertaining as others have called me worse!  I think I got the same pic on Monday.  I think he is headed the sail route after this one. 

That's right, he did mention that.  Never figured him for a sailboat guy but the way he enjoys those Florida waters, makes sense.

I pulled these things out the other day, look at the corrosion on these anodes after 4 months in an ocean slip!  Looks like someone took a chisel and hammer to them.

20180621_184607-M.jpg

20180621_184630-M.jpg

3 minutes ago, Hatem said:

I pulled these things out the other day, look at the corrosion on these anodes after 4 months in an ocean slip!  Looks like someone took a chisel and hammer to them.

20180621_184607-M.jpg

20180621_184630-M.jpg

Looks like they are doing their job.  Did you have shore power connected while slipped by chance?  

If you had been the one with the hammer and chisel they would probably look like a majestic bird of prey!  

8 minutes ago, Dennis A said:

Looks like they are doing their job.  Did you have shore power connected while slipped by chance?  

Nope, no shore power.  But you just showed me that I have the standard, panicked perspective -- which is "oh ma God something's wrong" -- instead of a level-headed reaction like "hey, looks like they're doing their job."  :)

I'm guessing there's quite a bit or electricity running in that marina water.

8 minutes ago, Dennis A said:

If you had been the one with the hammer and chisel they would probably look like a majestic bird of prey!  

Hahaha, it's been a while.