Hatem

What are some cool modifications you've done to your boat?

6 hours ago, Denny said:

Hi Hatem, I do not have a bow switch. I was going to get one and talked with john the owner, he told me about an anchor turner that they have. So I got it and don't have a use for a bow switch. All I have is a helm switch, it is a rocker type switch. I have it mounted on the left side of the helm just above the cigarette lighter/reading light, does it look like yours?

IMG_0384.jpg

WTH is that?? A cockpit?

2 hours ago, jd50i said:

WTH is that?? A cockpit?

It's the cockpit for an F-14 Tomcat, man LOL!  Look at the condition of that helm it's awesome.  Talk about taking good care of your shhtuff.  That throttle is pretty cool too.  Interesting angle on the handle.

8 hours ago, Denny said:

Hi Hatem, I do not have a bow switch. I was going to get one and talked with john the owner, he told me about an anchor turner that they have. So I got it and don't have a use for a bow switch. All I have is a helm switch, it is a rocker type switch. I have it mounted on the left side of the helm just above the cigarette lighter/reading light, does it look like yours?

I do, same exact one you can kinda see it in the bottom left of that same pic.  That bow switch is actually water tight and you can mount it on top, but I'll just put it in the anchor locker and get it out of the way.  Probably safer too.

I like that they used to put a cigarette lighter like they used to in all cars.  Funny how that's died out now with smoking being a thing of the past, so to speak.  I like that cup holder, too.  It looks like you can fold it flat and get it out of the way, right?  Where did you get that one?  I like that a lot.  And what's that item on that small, teak shelf to the right of the windlass rocker switch?

13 hours ago, 1830_ss said:

I was thinking of a complete overhaul and cutting out the existing 24 year old floor and building up from there reusing as many parts as I can like seats. If I replace the floor is it better to use a glassed wood or some sort of marine plastic or PVC? Then cover with mats like Tom's.

Fun fun fun.  I haven't seen anyone use anything else other than some type of plywood tbh.  Like Tom said, any PVC or synthetic material -- although much better as far as durability -- is heavier than any type of laminated plywood because it's so dense, especially PVC.  Plus it really doesn't have good, tensile strength.  For example, if you put a sheet of let's say 1/2" plywood on stringers that are separated by 16" and stood on it in the middle of that span, the PVC would flex and sag a lot more than plywood.  It's just much more flexible.  And even though it cuts really nice and easy, it makes a gaddam bloody mess too.  I would stick with 3/4" marine plywood and glass the heck out of it and then spray 4 or 5 coats of gelcoat for finish.  That way you'll get a super nice, smooth and durable floor under the new matting.  And post some pics.

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

It's the cockpit for an F-14 Tomcat, man LOL!  Look at the condition of that helm it's awesome.  Talk about taking good care of your shhtuff.  That throttle is pretty cool too.  Interesting angle on the handle.

I do, same exact one you can kinda see it in the bottom left of that same pic.  That bow switch is actually water tight and you can mount it on top, but I'll just put it in the anchor locker and get it out of the way.  Probably safer too.

I like that they used to put a cigarette lighter like they used to in all cars.  Funny how that's died out now with smoking being a thing of the past, so to speak.  I like that cup holder, too.  It looks like you can fold it flat and get it out of the way, right?  Where did you get that one?  I like that a lot.  And what's that item on that small, teak shelf to the right of the windlass rocker switch?

Fun fun fun.  I haven't seen anyone use anything else other than some type of plywood tbh.  Like Tom said, any PVC or synthetic material -- although much better as far as durability -- is heavier than any type of laminated plywood because it's so dense, especially PVC.  Plus it really doesn't have good, tensile strength.  For example, if you put a sheet of let's say 1/2" plywood on stringers that are separated by 16" and stood on it in the middle of that span, the PVC would flex and sag a lot more than plywood.  It's just much more flexible.  And even though it cuts really nice and easy, it makes a gaddam bloody mess too.  I would stick with 3/4" marine plywood and glass the heck out of it and then spray 4 or 5 coats of gelcoat for finish.  That way you'll get a super nice, smooth and durable floor under the new matting.  And post some pics.

Yeah, not to mention trying to hide the seams would be nearly impossible.  I would do what friscoboater did.  Few layer of glass/resin and gelcoat.  

7 hours ago, Hatem said:

I like that cup holder, too.  It looks like you can fold it flat and get it out of the way, right?  Where did you get that one? 

For my boat I bought stainless steel versions of Denny's and they do fold up.

https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-Stainless-Adjustable-Folding-Holders/dp/B009DBTBXE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539200477&sr=8-3&keywords=stainless+steel+folding+cup+holder&dpID=41LNuYhNCKL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

The angle on the handle allows the top to be over the box.

I see your rocker switch now. You could extend your wires for the bow switch so you could stand up and hold it in your hand, and when you are done with it, roll it up and put it in your locker. I have seen some that look like 2 miniature hockey pucks, they come in a pair, you step on them, one for up and the other for down. Maybe on a large boat, but on mine I thought that they would look tacky.

Believe it or not everything on there has a purpose .

The cigarette lighter is original equipment, and has a dual purpose. I do not smoke, so I don't use the lighter portion. There is a switch and when you flip it, it then becomes a light that shines down to illuminate whatever you may need it for. 

I think ash trays are an option now, you have to request one, and then again they may not even be available on some models.

The cup holder does fold up, I got it years ago at BoatUS, before it became west Marine. I'm sure that they still sell them. Mine are plastic. Yours look like they will hold up a lot better, being that they are S.S.

The unit on the teak box is a light to illuminate the level gauge above it at night, so I can see the gauge to balance the boat form starboard to port. Not to mention the light is off of a pick up truck rear chrome bumper, it is one of the license lights, that was left over from one of the jobs I did in the body shop.

This is the best way that I could come up with to try and answer and comment to everyone.  Denny.

5 hours ago, Denny said:

The angle on the handle allows the top to be over the box.

I see your rocker switch now. You could extend your wires for the bow switch so you could stand up and hold it in your hand, and when you are done with it, roll it up and put it in your locker. I have seen some that look like 2 miniature hockey pucks, they come in a pair, you step on them, one for up and the other for down. Maybe on a large boat, but on mine I thought that they would look tacky.

Believe it or not everything on there has a purpose .

The cigarette lighter is original equipment, and has a dual purpose. I do not smoke, so I don't use the lighter portion. There is a switch and when you flip it, it then becomes a light that shines down to illuminate whatever you may need it for. 

I think ash trays are an option now, you have to request one, and then again they may not even be available on some models.

The cup holder does fold up, I got it years ago at BoatUS, before it became west Marine. I'm sure that they still sell them. Mine are plastic. Yours look like they will hold up a lot better, being that they are S.S.

The unit on the teak box is a light to illuminate the level gauge above it at night, so I can see the gauge to balance the boat form starboard to port. Not to mention the light is off of a pick up truck rear chrome bumper, it is one of the license lights, that was left over from one of the jobs I did in the body shop.

This is the best way that I could come up with to try and answer and comment to everyone.  Denny.

Your helm still looks cool.

22 hours ago, Dennis A said:

Yeah, not to mention trying to hide the seams would be nearly impossible.  I would do what friscoboater did.  Few layer of glass/resin and gelcoat.  

Yeap, he'll still have to do something with the seams to not so much hide them but to prevent water from getting through them, and that'll be either glassing or some type of epoxy filler which just won't look right.  Kinda like how they do drywall seams.

The interesting thing about Frisco is that he's one of those jack or all trades master of none, except probably that tech stuff he does for a living.  But it's really impressive how much he knows about all things boating and all those materials.  From all the details of that 350 MAG and Bravo III outdrive to the electrical components to the fiberglass to cutting and installing the wood stringers and bulkhead and foam all the way to how the bearings operate on the trailer wheels.  He's really talented and knows a lot.  I think he overdid a few things like lifting the stringers up 3/8" and putting peanut butter or some sealant under them to act as a shock absorber lol.  While a great idea to go the extra mile, I think spreading a bead of glue sealant under them and pressing them tight and then just glassing them in with tape on both sides is fine and maybe even better.  Not sure you need 3/8" flexibility between the stringers and the hull.  I think you need the opposite because flexibility will cause cracking of the tabbing and glassing the corners of the stringers.

He also used a buttload of that 1708 chop strand matting which is great if you just cover it with carpeting.  The problem with using that on the finish floor the way he did is that you can't really have a super smooth finish to paint and make it look like fiberglass and gellcoat that came out of a mold.  There's just way too many surface irregularities from the type of plywood used to the heavy strands that shape through the drying process and the finish ends up looking like the type of finish we all have in our bilges, not the one on our fiberglass hulls and floors.  In order to get as close to that finish and strength using that heavy 1708 chop strand, you have to sand A LOT in between both layer but especially the last later, then trowel spread and skim 3 or 4 (maybe even more) very thin coats of epoxy paste and sand that very carefully in between each coat to end up with a really smooth surface without those irregularities and chopstrand fibers coming through.  Then after all those 4 layers of epoxy, you spray (not brush) another 3 or 4 (even more in some situations) coats of gelcoat while sanding in between each layer until that last layer goes on like glass and you don't have to sand that one of course.  All that takes a lot of elbow grease and patience and a high-quality HVLP gun with the perfect consistency of gelcoat.  Not easy. 

On 10/10/2018 at 9:50 AM, Dennis A said:

Thanks Dennis I was going to bring up friscoboater's youtube channel. Granted this guy seems like he has unlimited time and MONEY but nevertheless he does good work and does a great job documenting it. 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:37 AM, jd50i said:

Your helm still looks cool.

It is missing one thing, though.  One of these!

SURF-297-Mirror-19.jpg

This is the new rearview mirror Chaparral is offering on the surf models for the captain to keep an eye on the surfer while still facing forward, not needing to strain one's neck every time you want to take a look back.  I like that a lot.  Will be looking into getting it since you can fold it down and get it out of the way, just like that awesome cup holder.  Probably need to find an aftermarket one since it's almost impossible to get an OEM part from Chaparral when it comes to these gadgets.  I can personally attest to that.

13 hours ago, Hatem said:

It is missing one thing, though.  One of these!

SURF-297-Mirror-19.jpg

This is the new rearview mirror Chaparral is offering on the surf models for the captain to keep an eye on the surfer while still facing forward, not needing to strain one's neck every time you want to take a look back.  I like that a lot.  Will be looking into getting it since you can fold it down and get it out of the way, just like that awesome cup holder.  Probably need to find an aftermarket one since it's almost impossible to get an OEM part from Chaparral when it comes to these gadgets.  I can personally attest to that.

Already got one. Another one of my automotive accessories.

IMG-0389.jpg

8 hours ago, Denny said:

Already got one. Another one of my automotive accessories.

lol, I should've known better haha.  Is there anything you don't have, Denny?  I know, you're going to need one of those laptop brackets the cops have in their cars for that Dell. :D 

lol, I should've known better haha.  Is there anything you don't have, Denny?  I know, you're going to need one of those laptop brackets the cops have in their cars for that Dell. :D 

No, it sets nicely protected in it's little box.

As far as I know for now the only 2 things that my girl doesn't have are, radar and autopilot, and only because I have no need for either.:)

You know HG, we have laptops in our service vans locked into those holder/brackets. You need a key to undo the latch to open the brackets to release the computer. BUT, if you loosen the center pole knob that tightens it into position, you can remove the whole bracket along with the computer. Dumbest thing I have ever seen. I hope the cops have better ones....   :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, tomnjo said:

You know HG, we have laptops in our service vans locked into those holder/brackets. You need a key to undo the latch to open the brackets to release the computer. BUT, if you loosen the center pole knob that tightens it into position, you can remove the whole bracket along with the computer. Dumbest thing I have ever seen. I hope the cops have better ones....   :rolleyes:

LOL! :haha-7383:

We need to find out if Denny has a TV also... :D....remember him busting our balls about trying to hook up a TV on a boat and he said something about "oh hey, you get out on the water to be on the water why would you want a TV" grumpy old man shtuuufff, you know, but not nearly as bad as Calopadopadus but imagine if Denny does have a TV after giving us so much @#$%@# about that?  LOL!

Fess up, Denny!  

Denny should have a TV. He has a cabin. Cabin=TV in my book.  :D    I do think I remember him saying he just likes to listen to the waves and nothing else. Gives him serenity....  :rolleyes:  

I don't want to start a whole thread on this topic, and I even think it's already been discussed to @#$%@# so I'll just ask here since this thread has picked up pace again lately:  A bunch of my stainless steel shhhhtuff on the boat is starting to get those rusty spotting and not looking nice and SS shiny like it once did and I really want to brighten it all up again.  The two major areas are the bimini poles and the popup cover for the transom shower.  I know there's a bunch of different crap out there but I'd like to get some stuff that someone has used and works really well, even if I need to use a lot of elbow grease or a Dremel rotary buffer belt for railings and poles et., I don't mind since I have one of those.  But I'd like to use something that definitely works and lasts a little bit, not just an SS cleaner.  I have those and they really don't work well TBH.  I think there's a cleaner/polishing compound that actually has some form of soft grit in it that they use on yachts and crap like that.  Anyone know of a specific product that really works well on stainless steel?