Hatem

What are some cool modifications you've done to your boat?

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:48 PM, Curt said:

Looks great. Very nice work. Now for some Elton John, the Doobies, Clapton and Bob Seger. Or, some yacht rock... Paul Davis, etc. Rip away. My wife does every time I connect the Bluetooth.

Nice.  You can tell a lot about someone's personality by the music they listen to. :) 

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, rjbergen said:

Saw your install on Facebook. Love it! Can't wait to get mine out of storage to start work on her.

Did you pick up any of the MS-NRX300 dust covers? Google search link

Definitely a nice install.  Mine is in the driveway but shrunk-wrapped and the weather isn't exactly conducive to working on it.  Just hovering around -3, lol.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:32 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

Here are some pics of the new install:85A01A0F-F15C-447E-BD01-8D3A3621C40F.jpeg.bfe6c22c0abcac4a91ae1c3e97d01db4.jpeg

Those are pretty nice, but I don't see a trim switch on that unit.  Is there a separate transom switch for the outdrive trim or no?

On 1/29/2019 at 7:57 PM, rjbergen said:

Saw your install on Facebook. Love it! Can't wait to get mine out of storage to start work on her.

Did you pick up any of the MS-NRX300 dust covers? Google search link

Thanks!

Each remote came with its own dust cover.  I'm a little concerned about accidentally leaving the swim platform remote cover on.  I'll have to remember to remove it before each outing.  With the camper canvas on as it is right now, it covers it and keeps it in place.  These high res photos show just how badly she needs a bath!  They disconnected water to the boat house for the winter, though.  :(

8 hours ago, Hatem said:

Nice.  You can tell a lot about someone's personality by the music they listen to. :) 

Definitely a nice install.  Mine is in the driveway but shrunk-wrapped and the weather isn't exactly conducive to working on it.  Just hovering around -3, lol.

Those are pretty nice, but I don't see a trim switch on that unit.  Is there a separate transom switch for the outdrive trim or no?

LOL!  Funny, I don't even know the song showing on the remote.  I think that was a country station on Spotify.

-3?  Uggg...too cold for me!  Hard to believe others are (were) around -25!

Good question.  Nope...no trim switch on the transom.  I don't think any of the Sigs have it.  I always trim all the way up from the helm when I get her on the trailer, so I would probably never use it on the transom.  On other boats, I would use the switch to put some down pressure on the out drive support arm before connecting the bungee around the drive.  I don't use one on this boat.

14 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

LOL!  Funny, I don't even know the song showing on the remote.  I think that was a country station on Spotify.

-3?  Uggg...too cold for me!  Hard to believe others are (were) around -25!

Good question.  Nope...no trim switch on the transom.  I don't think any of the Sigs have it.  I always trim all the way up from the helm when I get her on the trailer, so I would probably never use it on the transom.  On other boats, I would use the switch to put some down pressure on the out drive support arm before connecting the bungee around the drive.  I don't use one on this boat.

I was actually referring to Curt's selection of music.  He mentioned Bob Seager and Elton John etc.  I have no idea who that artist is on that screen display.  Not much of a country guy.  I'm more of a metal/fusion and classic rock. 

My transom remote got stuck in the up position.  Went to trim up after pulling out of the water and it kept straining in the up position.  Turns out the wires were corroded and shorting.  I need to order the Chaparral remote which has the radio and trim control on it.  This time put a gasket around it.

Saw this yesterday, thought it was pretty cool.  Mercury pulling ahead of Volvo in docking technology?  Someone snuck this film in who wasn't supposed to which is probably why it's grainy.

https://twitter.com/boatingmagazine/status/1091363990972829701

First planes Then big ships. Now little boats.  Put my brain in a hydroponic fluid with 2 wires inputting happy hour.

Almost there people.

3 hours ago, Hatem said:

I was actually referring to Curt's selection of music.  He mentioned Bob Seager and Elton John etc.  I have no idea who that artist is on that screen display.  Not much of a country guy.  I'm more of a metal/fusion and classic rock. 

My transom remote got stuck in the up position.  Went to trim up after pulling out of the water and it kept straining in the up position.  Turns out the wires were corroded and shorting.  I need to order the Chaparral remote which has the radio and trim control on it.  This time put a gasket around it.

Saw this yesterday, thought it was pretty cool.  Mercury pulling ahead of Volvo in docking technology?  Someone snuck this film in who wasn't supposed to which is probably why it's grainy.

https://twitter.com/boatingmagazine/status/1091363990972829701

That's awesome!

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:02 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

That's awesome!

If cars can park themselves, then why not boats, right?  Problem is, these high-tech docking and steering systems only work with twins or more for obvious reason, so guys like you and me with single engines are excluded from benefiting from any of this new tech.  UNLESS...it can be incorporated in a single-engine/propped boat with a bow thruster.  That would be quite something.  It might need to have a stern thruster as well to really perform well but at least those two items are much more practical to install than adding a 2nd engine & outdrive! 

Time to get to the drawing board and get busy inventing this before someone else does! :haha-7383:

I prefer to dock my boat myself. I love the challenge of backing a single into a slip.... 

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

I prefer to dock my boat myself. I love the challenge of backing a single into a slip.... 

Windy day, with full canvas, by myself....man I hate it!

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:48 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

And current.  For me, it's mostly the current but wind too makes the bow almost impossible to control.  Need to do it quick  an jump off and tie up before it takes off on you.

I bet a joystick system with a single engine can be done.  The only thing is the package would have to include a change from a single throttle cable shifter to a single DTC, bow & stern thrusters and an EMC or circuit board that you would add to the digital throttle control & steering.  A similar circuit board that determines which to turn more and which to power more (just like Axius or EVC) and instead of feeding the info to a pair of outdrives, you're working with 2 thrusters at bow and stern and one outdrive.  I bet you'd get the same, exact propulsion ranges that you would with a standard joystick on twins, maybe even better responses since the thrusters are positioned perpendicular to the boat's axius and so lateral motion would be achieved much easier than trying to do it with twin outdrives. 

To go completely sideways with 2 outdrives, they have to do A LOT of work.  I believe they need to turn about 30 degrees and then one prop pulsates forward in certain increments while the other does the same in reverse.  It's incredible how they make that work, but they do it while asking a lot from the outdrives.  But with thrusters, it would be minimal work since they're already facing sideways.  And to go diagonally, all they would need to do is activate both thrusters at lower RPM and position the outdrive to a certain degree and power that, either in forward or reverse and get the exact result with less work.

All that stuff is actually really easy to put together.  The only tough part is designing the circuit board.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:48 PM, TexasPilot71 said:

Add a 5 mph current perpendicular to the slip too. That is what I deal with.  I am getting the hang of it but not a pro by any means

Yeah, fortunately I don't have a current at the lake.  Different story when we go to Florida, but I'm also not trying to put her in a slip.  I really have no problems most days.  It's just the windy days when I have the canvas up.  That's so much surface area to catch wind.

2 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Yeah, fortunately I don't have a current at the lake.  Different story when we go to Florida, but I'm also not trying to put her in a slip.  I really have no problems most days.  It's just the windy days when I have the canvas up.  That's so much surface area to catch wind.

On windy days we lower all the eisenglass and roll up as much canvas as possible.  It helps, but there is a lot of surface area on these things.

I still say bow thrusters are the only solution to a wind ? strong current space.  Some boats REALLY NEED a stern thruster also.   I have been in a old 45' Woodie with 16 people in it. Waves were 3' blowing away from the dock.   SO  SO enjoyable to drift sideways slowly to the dock & tie up telling jokes.   :wub: