Hatem

What are some cool modifications you've done to your boat?

Let me see if I got my photos fixed now.  A better shot of my filler cushions and TV lift in the up position.  We put a foldable 4" full size mattress on top with  another rolled up 3" gel topper that keeps things nice, cool and comfy.  Everything folds up and stores deep in the ski locker.

6fcIi_V4PH50Aj34sbgogAnSJhhyGwJSxXx0XL6m

8kdac7svaH44ySESxyx6NE0a5R85Xj52eXqnvqzS

On 6/6/2019 at 2:11 PM, Phillbo said:

Thats where I store as well.... Cool operation and very nice people to work with. Inside and plugged in makes my cruiser happy. 8 miles to the ramp with a gas stop on the way. Works great for us as well. 

We store at the "Toy Box" up the road where we have a an individual unit with no other boats.

On 6/8/2019 at 9:42 AM, Hatem said:

Did you try here? 

This is suppose to be the PDF for 2006 models but it wouldn't open up on my laptop, maybe it would on yours but it is off that thread.

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/ownersManuals/2006.pdf

Sadly the pics are not showing anymore.  Maybe a link to the site?  How did you get the space between the captain's chair and the U-seating?  Did you make changes to the cockpit seating or just move the captain's chair forward?

Hopefully the photos are working now.  Let me know if they are still not showing.  I had to move the captains chair forward, however I really never sit down in the chair.  Its always got the bolsters up.  I had to move the seat 4" forward.

17 hours ago, lvpowell said:

Hopefully the photos are working now.  Let me know if they are still not showing.  I had to move the captains chair forward, however I really never sit down in the chair.  Its always got the bolsters up.  I had to move the seat 4" forward.

Yep, they're showing up.  Thanks for reposting them.  Looks great!  Really nice job those cushions fit perfectly and look like they came with the boat.

Yeah I'm on the bolster 95% of the time, although yesterday we were out for 6 hours and it was choppy and windy and I found myself sitting down the final hour and just navigating through the windshield, which isn't bad at all.  You just can't see the lobster traps very well but I was tired!  A lot of boating for the first time out and in a bit of rough conditions.  Plus we ain't getting any younger, either.  :)

I wish my 276 was a minty clean as yours!

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, Exoset said:

Hey buddy :), I am just a little too busy… winter is coming (without the white walkers but yet…:p)

Here you go for the pics ;):

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So far I am planning to replace the 9 inch Axiom Raymarine Chartplotter by a Simrad Go12xse + Vesselview Link (Mainly to try to make Auto Routing work with the Merc AP

Add a 8 ft rogue wifi antenna and rogue wifi itself + router : https://www.wavewifi.com/services/rogue-wave/

Add a fusion Appollo RA770 in the cabin and a SRX400 on the dash, this way I will be able to add it on the data network and  use Airplay on the boat : https://www.fusionentertainment.com/marine/products/stereo-units#featured.special.desc!collection=all

Add Active Trim instead of Bennett Auto Trim Pro : https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/gauges-and-controls/steering/active-trim/

A bigger TV but don't know which one yet

I will go pick up the boat this Friday, probably more pics to come.

I am a Sith Lord now ;)

How's that gorgeous beast running, my Canadian friend?  How many times have you taken her out already and what have you found the similarities and differences and how are you getting accustomed to them?  Update time, mon ami.

Oh yeah, and what is your itinerary for Florida this year?  Just curious because my intention is not to intrude on you and your family vacation time, but maybe a day in passing to get to meet and kook up for a short day would be a ton of fun.

7 hours ago, Hatem said:

How's that gorgeous beast running, my Canadian friend?  How many times have you taken her out already and what have you found the similarities and differences and how are you getting accustomed to them?  Update time, mon ami.

Oh yeah, and what is your itinerary for Florida this year?  Just curious because my intention is not to intrude on you and your family vacation time, but maybe a day in passing to get to meet and kook up for a short day would be a ton of fun.

Hey buddy, 

I have done some modifications already. After a couple of rides and I can now say that I am very pleased so far.

The only thing that doesn't work properly is the active trim not reacting at all, but I am working on it.

Here is the list of what I have done so far :

- Removed the Raymarine AXIOM 9 inch and added a SIMRAD Go 12xse

- Removed the VesselView 4 and added a SIMRAD Go 9 XSE + Vesselview link behind the dash

- Removed the Rockford Fostgate headunit + remote and added a Fusion Apollo RA-770 + NRX 300 Remote

- Added a SIMRAD GPS NMEA2K Antenna since the mercury antenna can't send the gps through NMEA2K

- Added Active Trim

- New dash from Florida shop Tecnografic to flush mount everything

- Removed the 19 inch Insignia TV in the Cabin for a 4k 32 inch Acer ET322QK monitor + apple TV

- Added ASUS Blue Cave router in the cabin + Foscam Fi9831W in the aft bed to check on the baby when he is sleeping

- Added Fusion Stereo Active on the bow rail (No wires at all , really cool)

What I still want to do :

- Having the Kohler numbers shown in the vesselview

- Give a name to the boat

- Having the Active Trim working properly

- Having the trim tabs level shown in the vesselview

BEFORE :

181011033516288741.jpg

AFTER :

IMG-5013.jpg

IMG-5462.jpg

In terms of differences, the most obvious is the 21 degrees of deadrise. I mean, it is like a knife on the water compared to my previous Chap 290. The electric grill in the cockpit is also worth mentioning, no more going to the cabin and take the bbq, gas, putting everything together and then putting everything back in the cabin.

More headroom in the cabin and in the shower, beds are bigger both aft and forward.

The Axius Joystick + Skyhook + DTS are really cool too. I don't think you want/can't go back after having them. The coolest feature is to be able to have easy routing in the SIMRAD and be able to send the routes to the Merc Auto pilot.

All in all, I think I just have positive feedbacks to share, I still miss my old chap sometimes because I am a nostalgic but it was also a 15 years older boat than this one.

I am leaving for the Keys the 24th of July and be back in Canada the 19th of August. It is pretty short but with all the work here, I haven't been able to take more this year.

I will cross at Lacolle then straight to Albany through i87, I will then go west via I88 / I90, then south on the I81 all the way down to Staunton, then east until I reach Richmond and finally all the way down south on the i95 to the Keys.

I think I won't have much time on my way to the Keys but I will try to keep a day on the way back, I will let you know for sure.

One other idea would be to tow the boat for a long week-end to Boston and launch it there, if you can give me some advices on a large ramp.

3 hours ago, Exoset said:

The Axius Joystick + Skyhook + DTS are really cool too.

Skyhook? I'm not familiar with a Skyhook on a boat.

My skydiving rig use to have a Skyhook but I had it removed since I was adding an AAD. 

7 hours ago, Exoset said:

- Removed the Raymarine AXIOM 9 inch and added a SIMRAD Go 12xse

- Removed the VesselView 4 and added a SIMRAD Go 9 XSE + Vesselview link behind the dash

You know, I've been noticing that SIMRAD really has the best MFD units and features out the others, Garmin and Raymarine included.  I like how you did that, almost can't really tell it blends so well.

- Added Fusion Stereo Active on the bow rail (No wires at all , really cool)

Need a picture of that.  Never seen it mounted on the bow rail, must be pretty darn cool.

The Axius Joystick + Skyhook + DTS are really cool too. I don't think you want/can't go back after having them.

There's nothing like the joystick and of course you can't have it without the DTS.  How long can you use the skyhook feature?  Do they give you a limit, being that it's essentially a digital anchor so you're using up battery power, or generator?

I am leaving for the Keys the 24th of July and be back in Canada the 19th of August. It is pretty short but with all the work here, I haven't been able to take more this year.

Ah crap, that's too early for us.  Well enjoy the trip and take a lot of pics and videos etc.  Glad you didn't touch those safety guards on those toggle switches.  They look so cool.  And an interesting comparison between what Sea Ray has done with that and Chaparral has gone directly with the LED push-buttons.  I would think it's much easer to press a button by accident than having those safety rings around the switches on the SR.

I think I won't have much time on my way to the Keys but I will try to keep a day on the way back, I will let you know for sure.

One other idea would be to tow the boat for a long week-end to Boston and launch it there, if you can give me some advices on a large ramp.

Most definitely let me know.  Tons of huge ramps around Boston and up my way just 20 minutes north.  But only if you're not too exhausted from all that boating and traveling!!! lol

16 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Skyhook? I'm not familiar with a Skyhook on a boat.

My skydiving rig use to have a Skyhook but I had it removed since I was adding an AAD. 

Digital anchor, engine is keeping your position. Usefull when waiting for gas, bridge or else. Works pretty well in fact, never knew until I tried a couple years ago.

12 hours ago, Hatem said:

You know, I've been noticing that SIMRAD really has the best MFD units and features out the others, Garmin and Raymarine included.  I like how you did that, almost can't really tell it blends so well.

I went with Lowrance a couple years ago back when I had my Sig 270. Good stuff but more oriented for fisher men. I liked my experience with Garmin but it is like Apple, if you want every features available you have to get the full Garmin kit (AP, MFD, antenna, etc, etc). Since I had to stick with Mercury auto pilot system, Garmin wasn't an option. Never been a huge fan of Ray, but is just a matter of taste, nothing wrong with the brand, except they tried and fail to have their own NMEA2K with SeaTalk, vX etc...and finally got onboard with the standard.

Then I read and heard that Navico was behind almost every Vesselview since a couple of years, more than that, they are almost a part of Brunswick too. I was looking for something close to Garmin's auto-guidance. I found CMAP Easy Routing (recently bought by Navico) and when on new gen of SIMRAD's MFD that uou were able to send the routes to the Merc AP.

In the end I have all the same features I had with Garmin in my Sig 290, but much more reliable and precise since the Merc AP is really something else.

Need a picture of that.  Never seen it mounted on the bow rail, must be pretty darn cool.

Will do this week-end my friend, I am still working on it but it seems I will be able to control it with my nrx 300 remote which could be cool to be able to all listen the same music. The entire speaker floats, I tried... awesome.

There's nothing like the joystick and of course you can't have it without the DTS.  How long can you use the skyhook feature?  Do they give you a limit, being that it's essentially a digital anchor so you're using up battery power, or generator?

In fact you let the engines on and just press the skyhook button, then it will keep you at the same GPS position. Like I said to Phil, it is more to be able to wait for a couple of minutes without having to dock or release the anchor. Useful but you have to stay in the boat since engines are trying to keep you steady.

Not really helpful with a lot of current because the boat is backing hard etc... more useful in a marina or a lake I guess.

Ah crap, that's too early for us.  Well enjoy the trip and take a lot of pics and videos etc.  Glad you didn't touch those safety guards on those toggle switches.  They look so cool.  And an interesting comparison between what Sea Ray has done with that and Chaparral has gone directly with the LED push-buttons.  I would think it's much easer to press a button by accident than having those safety rings around the switches on the SR.

Yup I wanted to keep all the dash as OEM as possible. The only thing I still have to used to are the trim tabs switches. Always had to push them but now it is a bit different, nothing critical though :).

Most definitely let me know.  Tons of huge ramps around Boston and up my way just 20 minutes north.  But only if you're not too exhausted from all that boating and traveling!!! lol

Worst case, it will go later in August, as long as it happens, I am ok with it :)

1 hour ago, Exoset said:

I went with Lowrance a couple years ago back when I had my Sig 270. Good stuff but more oriented for fisher men. I liked my experience with Garmin but it is like Apple, if you want every features available you have to get the full Garmin kit (AP, MFD, antenna, etc, etc). Since I had to stick with Mercury auto pilot system, Garmin wasn't an option. Never been a huge fan of Ray, but is just a matter of taste, nothing wrong with the brand, except they tried and fail to have their own NMEA2K with SeaTalk, vX etc...and finally got onboard with the standard.

Then I read and heard that Navico was behind almost every Vesselview since a couple of years, more than that, they are almost a part of Brunswick too. I was looking for something close to Garmin's auto-guidance. I found CMAP Easy Routing (recently bought by Navico) and when on new gen of SIMRAD's MFD that uou were able to send the routes to the Merc AP.

In the end I have all the same features I had with Garmin in my Sig 290, but much more reliable and precise since the Merc AP is really something else.

Now see, this is someone who really has done the correct research and not only that, has chosen exactly what he needs and used essentially the best stuff out there.  I bet half the people out there have no clue what you're talking about but it's great stuff.  Seem like the SIMRAD not only has great features, but is much better suited to compatibility with the Merc systems in the boat.

1 hour ago, Exoset said:

Will do this week-end my friend, I am still working on it but it seems I will be able to control it with my nrx 300 remote which could be cool to be able to all listen the same music. The entire speaker floats, I tried... awesome.

GTFOH it floats?!?!  Seriously?  That's unreal LOL!  I gotta look into that.

1 hour ago, Exoset said:

In fact you let the engines on and just press the skyhook button, then it will keep you at the same GPS position. Like I said to Phil, it is more to be able to wait for a couple of minutes without having to dock or release the anchor. Useful but you have to stay in the boat since engines are trying to keep you steady.

Not really helpful with a lot of current because the boat is backing hard etc... more useful in a marina or a lake I guess.

'm familiar with it actually and I've seen its usage with guys in fancy center consoles fishing offshore and maintaining position over a deep wreck or a hotspot, but was wondering how long you can actually use if for.  But I suppose if you have it powered by your generator, it'll probably go as long as how much fuel is left in the gen.

1 hour ago, Exoset said:

Yup I wanted to keep all the dash as OEM as possible. The only thing I still have to used to are the trim tabs switches. Always had to push them but now it is a bit different, nothing critical though :).

Yeah you'll survive, LOL! Do keep us posed on what you find out was the problem so we know in the future.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:23 PM, lvpowell said:

Let me see if I got my photos fixed now.  A better shot of my filler cushions and TV lift in the up position.  We put a foldable 4" full size mattress on top with  another rolled up 3" gel topper that keeps things nice, cool and comfy.  Everything folds up and stores deep in the ski locker.

6fcIi_V4PH50Aj34sbgogAnSJhhyGwJSxXx0XL6m

8kdac7svaH44ySESxyx6NE0a5R85Xj52eXqnvqzS

Hey @lvpowell, check out this GREAT post from @TexasPilot71 below.  This was on the first page of this thread when I opened it 5 years ago and now it has 66 pages and thousands of views not to mention a lot of great modifications, from small and simple to rather complex.  But this is right along with what you did but he mounted his TV on the radar arch which is what I did as well.   

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2014 at 9:38 AM, TexasPilot71 said:

You shall wait no more :)

I had the fam with me, so my brain didn't really think this through, and with all the attention to getting them al set I missed some shots I meant to capture (Mostly the antenna and the signal amplifier, though that's really beyond the scope of the radar arch mount we're discussing). So, here are some closeups of the mount and a couple other ancillary items:

The mount itself along with the coaxial and power cables:

20141005_150125.jpg

Attachment of mount to television:

20141005_150138.jpg

Bluetooth TRANSMITTER to run sound through boat speakers (The sound quality wasn't that good connected to the television, but when I connected the transmitter to my phone and transmitted music, it was crystal clear. Still trying to understand what the problem was. Maybe the proximity to the speaker? Maybe over modulated from the television? Not sure

20141005_150158.jpg

Final Product:

FB_IMG_1411846614582.jpg

The mount itself has two swivel points (laterally). they are loose and I'm not sure how to tighten them. End result is the television won't stay in one position in any breeze or certainly when cruising. I think there are some recessed bolts I can tighten, but haven't taken the time to look closely enough. Attachment point to the arch is rock solid. My advice would to make sure the mount you buy includes an obvious way to adjust the tension on those swivel points. I've even seen some mounts that mount the television right against the arch with no swivel in any direction. That's a limitation I don't think I'd like. Especially on sunny days when you need the screen directly in front of you to reduce glare.

Anyway, let me know what questions you have. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't do this project nor do I know who did it. SO my answers may be limited.

(Edit 06/09/15 to reestablish photo links)

Hey @watson524, check out how well my custom-made, bent canvas pole tube with rubber leg and snap at the top works with the missing spot on the canvas and stays completely away from the seat that we were talking about on your other thread.  I have an extra one that I made and I'm throwing it out since I don't need it and I'm clearing a lot of junk from the workshop due to a new project starting and wondering if you're interested in trying it?  Last chance!  Don't feel pressured just FYI you can say no it's ok but I thought I'd throw it out there.

gJqNmjA.jpg

P5KJB5E.jpg

@Hatem thanks for thinking of me but we're good. We had the canvas shop put in a snap forward of where ours was and it includes a vent with which the cockpit cover didn't have before. It is getting the tower wrap things made on both covers to keep the rain out from around the arch so I figured while it was there. Thanks for thinking of me tho!

1 hour ago, watson524 said:

@Hatem thanks for thinking of me but we're good. We had the canvas shop put in a snap forward of where ours was and it includes a vent with which the cockpit cover didn't have before. It is getting the tower wrap things made on both covers to keep the rain out from around the arch so I figured while it was there. Thanks for thinking of me tho!

No worries at all.  Glad you let me know and had that taken care of.  Keep us posted on those leg warmers.  I'd love to see how they work.

Who has this kind of hitch?

4472c0719be16034876cb711d0cb76475e58c009

I thought mine was nuts.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:26 PM, Denny said:

Well it is installed, and looking great. I told Hatem that he could not have matched the wood any better if he had been here.

Got a couple pictures, will have better ones when she is outside and I can post a view of the whole package. 

To me it looks like it would have been an option that would be offered from the factory, kinda like the old vintage wooden boats.

Thank you hatem, you are artest and a true craftsman.  Denny.

IMG_9858.jpg

IMG_9872.jpg

IMG_9870.jpg

I've been meaning to ask you for a while now, how's it holding up?  Had it snapped in half yet? That's my digest fear BTW, especially at high speeds obviously but the mahogany should hold up really, really well to many abuses.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, watson524 said:

That's great.  My vent is in the middle post you can see it in that picture but the stitching is starting to come apart and its popping off.  My wife said she's bringing her sowing kit the next time we're out there and sowing the cap back on tightly to the canvas.