Hatem

What are some cool modifications you've done to your boat?

10 hours ago, Denny said:

Getting a factory premade one will always be cheaper, but lacks the personalization of knowing that someone personally made it for you,(like my flag pole):).

Mine is held together with screws.

Cutting it will eat up some saw blades.

I'm still working on getting you some pics and dimensions.  

Denny.

No worries, take your time.  I sent him a message that it would be cheaper to have one bought than made, but we haven't talked numbers, yet anyway.  He's a good friend of mine so I might only charge him for the teak itself, only if I have the time which might be an issue.

At first I thought dimensions wouldn't be necessary but actually the more important one would be the depth or width on yours and if you think it's comfortable.  Length, as from side to side will be determined on the sailboat itself but if you're going to measure the width, might as well throw in the length to.  I've been looking at a few when we go out and interesting on sailboats, I see some really wide ones and also narrow ones so I'm guessing there isn't a standard.  Thanks, Denny.

I've worked with it before, but if there is anything that chews up blades, there's nothing like Ipe.  Did a whole screened porch (which I typically don't do but these are special homeowners of mine).

Interestingly it's a Japanese style porch which part of it overhung a koi fish pond and part of the design was to make a small hatch (it's only 8"x10") to feed the fish since they can't throw any food through the screen.  That's actually a stainless steel boat latch. :) But that Ipe is like cutting bricks!  

Ex4URG5.jpg

I remember when they first had this pond built in the mid 90's and the fish were only 10" long, now they're almost 2ft in length and you open the hatch, they know right away it's feeding  time and come right up with their mouths wide open making a very funny suction noise lol.  Probably the coolest part of the entire project.  

eocDf9m.jpg

15 hours ago, Hatem said:

No worries, take your time.  I sent him a message that it would be cheaper to have one bought than made, but we haven't talked numbers, yet anyway.  He's a good friend of mine so I might only charge him for the teak itself, only if I have the time which might be an issue.

At first I thought dimensions wouldn't be necessary but actually the more important one would be the depth or width on yours and if you think it's comfortable.  Length, as from side to side will be determined on the sailboat itself but if you're going to measure the width, might as well throw in the length to.  I've been looking at a few when we go out and interesting on sailboats, I see some really wide ones and also narrow ones so I'm guessing there isn't a standard.  Thanks, Denny.

I've worked with it before, but if there is anything that chews up blades, there's nothing like Ipe.  Did a whole screened porch (which I typically don't do but these are special homeowners of mine).

Interestingly it's a Japanese style porch which part of it overhung a koi fish pond and part of the design was to make a small hatch (it's only 8"x10") to feed the fish since they can't throw any food through the screen.  That's actually a stainless steel boat latch. :) But that Ipe is like cutting bricks!  

Ex4URG5.jpg

I remember when they first had this pond built in the mid 90's and the fish were only 10" long, now they're almost 2ft in length and you open the hatch, they know right away it's feeding  time and come right up with their mouths wide open making a very funny suction noise lol.  Probably the coolest part of the entire project.  

eocDf9m.jpg

Pretty wood, nice work.

Denny.

9 hours ago, Denny said:

Pretty wood, nice work.

Denny.

Coming from you, that's more than a compliment.  Thanks. 

Here's the back of the said sailboat.  I don't know for sure, but to me, it almost looks like it has a slight convex back to it which is probably why he said he would be fine with a straight SP.  It would be really interesting to see how it curves once someone puts a straight edge on it and measures the equal gaps at the ends if it truly is convex-shaped.  He said he would lose the ladder since he doesn't like it. Thing is in remarkable shape.

dtRucPO.jpg