Hatem

What are some cool modifications you've done to your boat?

Coming, Spring 2015, to a 210SS near me!! Drew will love this....not!! LOL

Posted this awhile back. I built this thing last winter fully intending on installing it this past spring. Well, my job is weather dependent. The colder it is, the busier I am, and last winter did not want to end. I have my SS tubing ordered and will fabricate my brackets in my spare time over this winter and hopefully get it installed next spring.

In these pics it is resting on my outdrive. Just had it there for a short time for pics and measurements.

IMAG0425_zps9876fbec.jpg

IMAG0424_zpsa3251772.jpg

Here is a photoshopped image of how the boat will look with it installed.

IMAG0368-1-Copy-Copy_zps84084c9a.jpg

Coming, Spring 2015, to a 210SS near me!! Drew will love this....not!! LOL

Posted this awhile back. I built this thing last winter fully intending on installing it this past spring. Well, my job is weather dependent. The colder it is, the busier I am, and last winter did not want to end. I have my SS tubing ordered and will fabricate my brackets in my spare time over this winter and hopefully get it installed next spring.

In these pics it is resting on my outdrive. Just had it there for a short time for pics and measurements.

IMAG0425_zps9876fbec.jpg

IMAG0424_zpsa3251772.jpg

Looks awesome. What is it made out of. Would love to build one for mine.

Looks awesome. What is it made out of. Would love to build one for mine.

Dennis, it's actually made of three different materials, well, four if you include stainless steel. The main deck is 1/2 inch PVC board underneath a piece of 3/4 inch Starboard with the anti skid top finish. The bottom structural part is made of fiberglass reenforced plastic lumber.

First I cut a template out of 1/4 inch plywood. I traced the template onto the PVC boards. They only come 12 inches wide so I had to use two and temporarily held them together screwed to some scrap wood.

IMAG0357_zps09cc9f98.jpg

IMAG0359_zpsfc20310f.jpg

I then cut the PVC.

IMAG0361_zps373d6477.jpg

The plastic lumber was a 2x6 that I cut in half lengthwise to make 2x3s. I then cut them into smaller pieces and made a structural grid under the PVC. I zipped a few screws through the bottom, flipped it over, and used more in the top. The top will eventually be covered by the Starboard.

Bottom.

IMAG0397_zps20f17648.jpg

Top.

IMAG0398_zpsdf3fbb19.jpg

Cut and screwed the Starboard piece to the top of the PVC. The rubrail was then added to the outside and hides the seam between the PVC and the Starboard.

Bottom.

IMAG0401_zps905888c0.jpg

Top.

IMAG0404_zpsf1470fa3.jpg

I screw everything together from the bottom to keep the top looking clean. I have the stainless steel insert for the rubrail but won't install that til the very end.

Here is a photoshopped image of how the boat will look with it installed.

IMAG0368-1-Copy-Copy_zps84084c9a.jpg

That's great, Tom! Very cool DIY mod. Boat looks even cooler with that on it.

You should make them and sell them, the way you whipped that up like that.

Nah, no royalties needed. If you tweak it though, post it. This is my second one. The one I made for my old boat just used the plastic lumber, no Starboard. The top of it looked like a deck on a house. I used a green 2x4 size in between the white boards for more of a custom look along with a black rubrail to match the one on that boat. The materials aren't cheap. That first one cost me about 700 deer to make. This one due to the extra expense of the anti skid Starboard will run me somewhere in the 900-1000 deer range.

First one.

69e463b1-05e3-4789-aaa9-69274980c502_zps

Yeah, Tom, you gotta get that platform mounted ASAP. Before I bought the Sunesta we were looking at all kinds of different boats, and I had not given full attention to the stern design until I actually went to the SeaRay dealership and I stepped off the dock onto the swim deck of one of their Sun Decks. I suddenly realized how getting on and off a boat should be done, and how civilized it can be. It was the best thing for my son with CP. Once I sea-trialed the Sunesta, I was sold, and that is one of my favorite parts of the boat.

Giterdone, man!

Great work so far Tomnjo! Will you remount the ladder or get an under mount version?

That will be determined later. I hope to remove the ladder part but leave the mounting bracket in place to serve as a handle. Going to try to come up with some kind of undermount slide bracket and use the rungs which are in excellent shape. If not, I will just buy a new one. It will be mounted underneath one way or another.

I am thinking about using one layer of 1'' King Starboard AS or (1) layer 3/4'' Starboard AS on top and (1) 3/4'' standard Starboard on bottom screwed together. Rough weight would be about 105lbs.

Yeah, that stuff is heavy. I used what I used to try to cut down on weight. It weighs 85 pounds as is. The PVC is real light and primarily used as filler. The structural strength is the fiberglass reinforced plastic wood which may be hard to find. Luckily we have a place here that sells it and the piece I bought was a scrap 2x6x just short of 8 feet.

My bracket system is a little different than others. I bend my SS tubing to the shape of the number 7. If you look at the number the platform rests on the top. The top and bottom ends are flattened with holes drilled through them and are attached to the transom. I use four of them, two per side. The bottom line is that the brackets are attached to the boat and the platform is then attached to the brackets. I run the bolts sideways through the tubing and the plastic wood joists underneath, so nothing comes through the top.

Got my idea from these guys years ago and tweaked it some. This page gives you the basic idea.

http://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-recycled-plastic-products/swim-platforms/custom-stainless-steel-tube-bracket-for-boat-swim-or-yacht-dive-platforms

You bend the stainless steel tubing yourself? Do you do any soldering or any joinery with it?

No soldering. Just a bench vise and cast iron pipe around the outside for leverage. Not too hard. I always work with piping on the job so I am used to it. Just check out my biceps on my signiature pic. :haha-7383:

I was gonna say that's like Popeye man LOL! Tough guy! :D

I asked because I'd like to have a custom, SS flag pole made up with the right angle for where it'll be permanently attached to the gunnel. I think there's a couple of local shops that work with SS. Not just anyone can work with that stuff.

The worst part is drilling holes in it. First, you have to have the correct bits. Then, you can't put any pressure on the drill and you have to go slow or you will burn your bit. It will take me a few bits to complete this anyway. I'm not as patient with the drill as I should be, even if I do know better.

Plus you really have to use a drill press when you're drilling holes in any type of tubing so you lessen the chance of the bit walking or rolling off on you with that slick and round surface.

I'm a little late here but yes they are speakers. As mentioned I can also turn them up and down. Yes, they are stupid expensive but I think they were worth it when you hear how loud they are. I'm not sure what anyone else has but I went with horns rather than coaxial speakers.

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=17860&cat=273&page=1

They are made to sound best ~80’ behind your boat.

D593AD05-1E40-4D9E-A9E7-94F23FD4232A_zps

They are dirty sorry.

D800560E-5B92-4245-AA20-8E4A003124F8_zps

Awesome addition if you do a lot of water sports and or floating behind the boat. It always makes me cringe when you have “that guy” try to crank up his music and although it might sound good in the boat the tower speaker are cracking and distorting. It’s like nails down a caulk board lol. I’ve never had that problem. If anything they are so clear you can really tell when you have a crappy download.

I noticed some of the fellows have these bulbous, fender-looking like things mounted on the inside of their radar arch like Better When Wet's boat and Texas P has them also, a few others, too. What are those, speakers? Or something else?

hello everyone !,....i'm new to the forum and i recently purchased this 2003 28 signature (sept 2014)...this boat is has the nicest layout of ANY 28' boat i've seen !.. it feels more like a 30 !.....did new custom printed boat name with gold leaf lettering,.. and YES, i did the name changing ceremony ! LOL !... (named it after our favorite cruise ship, the "norwegian GEM".....then coordinated the interior with some nice little touches to go with the name to make it my own, as our boat is our home away from home all summer, and we spend MANY nights on it !,.....towels, coffee mugs, rubber backed coasters, and even did etched glass vinyl on the mirrors,.....added 22" LED TV/DVD combo on swivel bracket in forward cabin, so it can be viewed from anywhere , added a speaker system for tv also , ..did under cabinet lighting....and replaced all my cupholders in cabin and cockpit with NICE ,wired LED units.......added blue LED courtesy lights to the cockpit also,....put in some hanging hooks in the trunk to help keep things organized......REALLY looking forward to next season ! :D ....everyone that sees this boat at my marina cant believe its a 28' !, and i've gotten so many compliments on what a beautiful, well built boat the CHAPARRAL is !!......

post-42910-0-97775400-1415222847_thumb.j

post-42910-0-12207900-1415222858_thumb.j

post-42910-0-14399900-1415222866_thumb.j

post-42910-0-53132800-1415222872_thumb.j

post-42910-0-79502100-1415222881_thumb.j

post-42910-0-96105300-1415222889_thumb.j

post-42910-0-85790200-1415222897_thumb.j

post-42910-0-48884900-1415222906_thumb.j

post-42910-0-78788300-1415222919_thumb.j

post-42910-0-73980600-1415222927_thumb.j

post-42910-0-98436000-1415222935_thumb.j

They are dirty sorry.

Don't let it happen again.... :)

Great post, BWW. Thanks for that detailed explanation and pics. Those things look great, especially with the chrome/SS? covers.

How do you have your batteries set up to use so much power with those speakers when you're floating?

hello everyone !,....i'm new to the forum and i recently purchased this 2003 28 signature (sept 2014)...this boat is has the nicest layout of ANY 28' boat i've seen !.. it feels more like a 30 !.....did new custom printed boat name with gold leaf lettering,.. and YES, i did the name changing ceremony ! LOL !... (named it after our favorite cruise ship, the "norwegian GEM".....then coordinated the interior with some nice little touches to go with the name to make it my own, as our boat is our home away from home all summer, and we spend MANY nights on it !,.....towels, coffee mugs, rubber backed coasters, and even did etched glass vinyl on the mirrors,.....added 22" LED TV/DVD combo on swivel bracket in forward cabin, so it can be viewed from anywhere , added a speaker system for tv also , ..did under cabinet lighting....and replaced all my cupholders in cabin and cockpit with NICE ,wired LED units.......added blue LED courtesy lights to the cockpit also,....put in some hanging hooks in the trunk to help keep things organized......REALLY looking forward to next season ! :D ....everyone that sees this boat at my marina cant believe its a 28' !, and i've gotten so many compliments on what a beautiful, well built boat the CHAPARRAL is !!......

Welcome to the forum and thanks for that terrific first post. She is an absolute beauty, for sure. Congratulations. I like that style Signature a lot and the all-white color is very nice. Neat gold-leafing I must say, you don't see that too often. Is it common?

I do like the diamonds and the way you incorporated that imagery in the interior. That's a very cool idea.

That boat is in mint condition and the interior looks huge! Thanks for that and feel free to post more.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for that terrific first post. She is an absolute beauty, for sure. Congratulations. I like that style Signature a lot and the all-white color is very nice. Neat gold-leafing I must say, you don't see that too often. Is it common?

I do like the diamonds and the way you incorporated that imagery in the interior. That's a very cool idea.

That boat is in mint condition and the interior looks huge! Thanks for that and feel free to post more.

thank you for the warm welcome, and nice comment ! :beer-7687-1: ........this is a GREAT forum, with alot of helpful people and info !.....i made the name, and all the matching stuff myself, as i have a small graphics business,......and i do quite a bit of custom boat lettering.........that was a graphic i designed for myself, ....it is a full color print, then laminated, and contour cut,....i then overlayed the "GEM" with gold leaf cut vinyl, i also added white LED lights above the name to illuminate it at night ....i have gotten many nice comments on it !.....these really stand out........the etching on the mirrors is an etched glass cut vinyl, so its not permanant, and can be removed.....lt looks like REAL etched glass !.....i also did my registration numbers with a touch of gold leaf...., ....i still have a long TO-DO list and will post more as i go..........CHEERS ! :oregonian_winesmiley:

post-42910-0-56487300-1415281616_thumb.j

post-42910-0-61480000-1415282177_thumb.j

Love that gold leaf edging on the registration numbers!

It is a great forum, for sure. A lot of helpful and knowledgeable members. It's the Chaparral breed. :D

Please, post as much as you like and believe me, you might not hear it but we do love pics. So post away to your heart's content! :)

Don't let it happen again.... :)

Great post, BWW. Thanks for that detailed explanation and pics. Those things look great, especially with the chrome/SS? covers.

How do you have your batteries set up to use so much power with those speakers when you're floating?

I have the standard two battery setup. I just replaced my starting battery though. I have 3 600W amps pushing everything (two tower, six in boat, and three subs 2-10" & 1-12") the amps are class D, and don't pull near as much power as the standard A/B amps used in cars. i can run my stereo hard for a while before killing a battery. before i added the thrid amp and 12" sub i could almost run the whole afternoon on one battery. Much like the speakers the amp's weren't cheap but I've been really happy with them so far.

here is a pic before i added the thirs. It's hard to tell here but they are pretty small.

P1000637.jpg

thank you for the warm welcome, and nice comment ! :beer-7687-1: ........this is a GREAT forum, with alot of helpful people and info !.....i made the name, and all the matching stuff myself, as i have a small graphics business,......and i do quite a bit of custom boat lettering.........that was a graphic i designed for myself, ....it is a full color print, then laminated, and contour cut,....i then overlayed the "GEM" with gold leaf cut vinyl, i also added white LED lights above the name to illuminate it at night ....i have gotten many nice comments on it !.....these really stand out........the etching on the mirrors is an etched glass cut vinyl, so its not permanant, and can be removed.....lt looks like REAL etched glass !.....i also did my registration numbers with a touch of gold leaf...., ....i still have a long TO-DO list and will post more as i go..........CHEERS ! :oregonian_winesmiley:

Just an FYI if you open a Photobucket account or something like it you don't have to resize and attach the pictures. there is a thread on here, under newbies i think, that explains how to do it.