CHAD SSI 210

Do you use your snap in carpet?

43 posts in this topic

I like the feel of just the fiberglass without the carpet. It is easier to keep clean and less worry of spills messing it up.

We're no longer using our snap in carpet. Personally, the Fiberglas feels good and yes, much easier to clean. Wife wants a full install of Sea Dek before next season.

We do not use the carpet in our cockpit, but only on a few occasions.

Cons: it is difficult to dry it and to keep it in shipshape.

Pros: it muffles the engine noise and makes a boat quieter.

We still use the carpet in our cabin.

We do use our snap 'out' carpet. We pull it up and store it if rain is coming (another reason to get a boat with plenty of storage). We keep a large duffel on board for the purpose. We like the finished feel the carpeting gives. The bare fibergalss feels stark and utilitarian to me.

One trick: with the main cockpit piece, we fold under a section nearest the stern/rear bench. Gives swimmers a place to drip near the drain without getting the carpet wet. We've considered having this section cut and re-bound.

Would opt again for the snap out carpet if buying new.

We use the snap in carpet in both the cockpit and cabin... Although I'm researching options to change out the cabin carpet for seadek, plasteak or the like.

I just replaced the cockpit carpet last year and now it's time to do something with the cabin.....

My 73 year old wife would divorce me if the carpet jumped ship.

I wash it every few years. Very low foot traffic & no molds or mildews. Light tan color looks still new.

Had to install new snap-in carpet on our boat this summer (used current Chaparral berber style carpet, which does a better job of masking water and grime stains than the previous one-colour stock beige carpet) and do prefer the feel of dry carpet under my feet, but if and when I have to do it again, I will opt for either Beach Weave carpet, or custom SeaDek.

Beach Weave is quite expensive vs. even Chaparral's heavy grade standand berber carpet, but simply handles being wet so much better than the standard carpet. Beach Weave can only be gently rolled, though, NEVER folded to prevent the backing from getting cracks.

SeaDek is really nice on the feet; installing on a swim platform is one thing, but getting it to fit properly and then stick it down on the cockpit and bow floor is another.

I convinced a lot of our boat owners to buy ....poolside carpeting.......The best for wet & U V resistance that we all have found. Dries fast & no odors..

We replaced the berber carpeting with a synthetic basket weave carpeting. The newer boats have this option instead of carpet and it really does dress up the cockpit.

Yes, we use our snap-in. All the time. Shampoo it once at the beginning of the season unless the doggy has an accident. When this wears out, I might try to replace it with the sisal grass flooring that Cobalt has as an option for their boats. Comfortable to the feet, doesn't hold water.

aka Beach Weave - optional on SSx and Signature - wish it was optional throughout all the lines.

We used ours for about 75% of the season then went to bare floor. A lot of dirt, food crums, sand, etc gets caught underneath making it a little more time consuming to clean. Love washing down the fiberglass and going on my way!

i do use it, feels better on the feet and without it, i always seem to step on a snap. just like at home when you step on a kids random lego on the ground you get immediate feedback from that sensation. i would go w/ the flexteak or similar throughout just way toooooo much deer to outfit the entire cockpit

I have it

Used it a couple of times

I like the feel of fiberglass and its so much easier to deal with at the end of the day

We leave ours out now. Too much hassle and on the 244, the rear scupper allows water in and ends up soaking a portion of the carpet. If I have time this spring to measure and install, going with 100% SeaDeck faux teak that will match what we have on the swim platform.

Always use our carpet for the reasons mentioned by others. We ask folks to towel off as much as possible on the swim platform before tracking into the boat. We pull the carpet out in the fall, clean and store until Spring. Looks almost new still.

Just ordered our new boat w/snap out carpet as well. The dark colored beach weave will be too hot in the sun.

We use beach weave and leave it in all year. Very happy with it, but we've only had it for one season, so we'll see how it ages. I like the "look" of extending our flexiteak from the platform through out the boat, but the price would be Big $ and even worse it would get hot - far hotter then the sea grass, so I don't see that happening. Besides, the sea grass looks good.

We leave ours out now. Too much hassle and on the 244, the rear scupper allows water in and ends up soaking a portion of the carpet. If I have time this spring to measure and install, going with 100% SeaDeck faux teak that will match what we have on the swim platform.

There is something about a scupper allowing water in that unsettles me. If it were me, I'd have to fix this no matter how minor it seems.

Not sure how to fix it. Maybe there's a check-valve device made?

It's a pretty simple thing - waves to the side of the boat allow water to enter the through-hull, which is located slightly above the water line. The rear scupper isn't too far above that in elevation, so water pressure pushes water up and through, just enough to wet the carpet.

Any ideas?

Not sure how to fix it. Maybe there's a check-valve device made?

It's a pretty simple thing - waves to the side of the boat allow water to enter the through-hull, which is located slightly above the water line. The rear scupper isn't too far above that in elevation, so water pressure pushes water up and through, just enough to wet the carpet.

Any ideas?

I'm assuming the scupper's rubber flap is still soft, flat, and unobstructed by minor debris.

The way a scupper should work (and I know you know this but follow me for a moment) is the same wave that is bringing the water is also bringing the push against the scupper to close it and prevent the water from getting in. So, wonder if the scupper is too high? If so the waves aren't pushing it closed as much as they are moving up the side of the boat and across the face of the scupper, and in the direction that would allow entry of water into the fitting.

That said, if it is too high, WTF do you do about that?

Did you tell the dealer? Also, have you heard from other Chap owners about this happening?

Should be able to close the valve for the rear scupper to the closed position simply with your hand - in such a case no more water can enter.

Would need to ensure it gets opened at winterization time to prevent any water freezing.