CHAD SSI 210

Do you use your snap in carpet?

43 posts in this topic

Hmmm, I think I need to take a closer look at what's going on with the stock setup. I just assumed bad design, but perhaps there's something that's just not working correctly.

I've never noticed a valve. The drain is located just before the step-over to the swim platform; the hose that connects the drain to the through-hull fitting is barely visible in the engine compartment due to it being behind the blowers and their ducts.

For the valves, we're talking about late models that feature a self bailing cockpit; i.e. the drains are right about the water line. Chaparral puts the valve in where needed so that in the event that a hose ruptures or falls off, the valve can be closed so that the boat doesn't take on a massive amount of water in a short period of time.

For this reason, the valve is located/mounted onto the thru-hull drain fitting.

Shephard, any modification you know of where the existing drain can have a check valve (scupper) installed inline? I'd like to keep the valve open, but avoid the backwash onto the carpet in the 244 when waves hit the side of the boat.

Maybe possible, but I never bothered; we don't get any following seas, etc. so I just closed the valve when running the boat.

I don't think I have check valves on my scuppers. 08'

The water comes right in on the carpet when everyone piles on the back swimming in rougher water.  Though much of the water comes in off swimmers too..;)  

Getting pretty sick of the carpet too but I just pull and hang it to dry with all the other wet items at the end of a day.  

I ended up installing a check valve in the drain hose. Not a fun job, as the hose is short and the space very confined. But, once in, the check valve works like a charm.

Here's the scupper valve I installed: http://amzn.to/2aVwrOt

Sure wish I could find something smaller, as the install would have been much easier. I ended up unscrewing the drain from the deck and then had to move the screw positions to reinstall (and recaulk at the same time). Worst part of the install were the contortions necessary to reach the hose and through-hull area.

Both sides or just by the walk through area?  I would think that's the only side really accessible.  I also have a missing strainer grate on that side drain.  Any idea where that part is available.  I have searched all over and even the said it would be stupid money because I would need the whole assembly.

Had my boat since July.  Carpet is like new.  I leave mine in so far, it's been indoor kept it's entire life so not much rain/water issues.

When my kids and family are on the boat, carpet is in.  I take it out, clean it and dry it at home.  When we're fishing, I take the carpet, padding and seats off and hose down the blood.  I feel like it's the best of both worlds and one of the reasons I like the boat.  When the carpet is in, the boat just looks nicer.  I understand why some wouldn't want to deal with it though.  My kids are 6 and 4 so I like that they won't slip.    

Wife loves it in. So it stays in. I take it out when I go fishing with the boat. I also take it out at the end of the season in the fall. I have the house carpet cleaned and have them hit my boat carpets too. Put it away for the winter.

On 8/22/2016 at 6:28 PM, NEMMAS03 said:

When my kids and family are on the boat, carpet is in.  I take it out, clean it and dry it at home.  When we're fishing, I take the carpet, padding and seats off and hose down the blood.  I feel like it's the best of both worlds and one of the reasons I like the boat.  When the carpet is in, the boat just looks nicer.  I understand why some wouldn't want to deal with it though.  My kids are 6 and 4 so I like that they won't slip.    

I've started doing the same thing.  I find it easier and less messy to clean the carpet (out of the boat) than to scrub down the deck for typical use.  If we're doing heavy watersports or fishing, or I know the group coming out with us is messy, I don't put the carpet in.  

Looking at the pictures, I'm very jealous of the new beach weave carpets though.

Another fan of the 'snap out' carpet.  We went out once in which I removed the carpet and the bow filler cushion.

Good lord you would have thought we were out on a fishing boat according to the wife.  :D

We love the beach weave snap-in carpet.  Tried without once this year and it was a no go.  The beach weave dries much faster than the carpet did.

I have to admit the boat looks a lot nicer with it in.  But I could do without it.  My wife really likes it.  And as everyone knows when the wife isn't happy nobody is happy!  My problem is after swimming all day and getting in and out to mix drinks, eat etc the carpet gets wet and it take a long time to dry out.  We often overnight so we end up walking on wet carp while topsides.  Wife doesn't seam to mind so what the heck lol

On 10/8/2014 at 8:18 PM, CHAD SSI 210 said:

Hey everyone,

Just wondering how many of you use your snap in carpet. Also wondering if you would order a new boat without the snap in carpet.

Chad

We opted not to order the cockpit carpeting and glad it didn't come standard since we wouldn't use it anyway.  We also ordered the optional wood cabin flooring because we would have had to cover the cabin carpet with something anyway to keep the boat looking good.  OCD at it's best/worst....