jmiska

Today's fishing report

Okay, since it seems that several people on here don't have a proper appreciation of the joy of fishing from a Chaparral, and have even gone so far as to MAKE FUN of our dear friend, Hatem, I thought it was a perfect time to post my own FISHING REPORT!! :D

So, the day started out leaving the dock at 9:30 this morning, a stop for fuel on the way out the river, and on to a ridge along the east side of Anclote Key where the Cobia are presumed to be this time of year. The best bait for Cobia are said to be jigs with whole squid, so that's what I had. For those of you who have missed the joy of fishing from a Chaparral, the bow cooler makes a great bait cooler. Fill it with ice, and load it up with stinky chum! The main thing to bear in mind with whole squid, though, is that the ink can stain your fine vinyl and gelcoat, so be sure to take advantage of that great washdown hose at the bow and keep your shiny Chap from getting SQUID INK all over the seats :haha-7383:

So, after about an hour on the ridge there, all I had caught were several grunts, snapper and some pinfish. I decided to use the pinfish for bait, since I was out looking for a nice dinner. Well, no joy. That's okay. I sat down on the huge lounger in the cockpit under the big bimini and enjoyed a lunch at the stern cockpit table.

Time to move on. Up anchor and head north to a deep, fast moving channel known to be full of sharks. They're fun to catch. I anchored up along side the channel and put my bait fish and squid out into the deeper water. Bam! Huge hook up, but way too much for my tackle, and off he went with my rig. I watched a few more sharks under the boat, but after about an hour there, decided to go try a reef about 8 miles out.

So, I set a course to the south west, settled back in the big comfy captain's seat and relaxed while the smooth, quiet Chap cruised out into the beautiful open gulf. Horrars, my reef has about a dozen boats anchored over it. :angry2: Not going to fish there. Oh well, it's 75, bright sun, 45% humidity, and a light breeze, and I'm out in the ocean with my boat and a full tank of fuel... what to do? :scratchchin:

Take a ride! Away I went, cruising down the outside of the barrier islands, then taking an inside route back north toward the mouth of the Anclote. Coming in, I settled in behind a big cruiser throwing a big wake. In his wake were three dolphins jumping and playing, putting on the best nature show I've ever seen :clapsmiley:

Finally, back at the dock five hours and 42 nautical miles later, it turned out to be a perfect day. I did give the forward cooler an extra wash out just to make sure there isn't any squid ink or guts left for next time we go on an evening wine cruise!

So, how was ya'all's day on the water? :beer-7687-1:

Ordering 2 sets of my fully spf 50 long billed hats, with the full length side drapes that cover everything but eyes & nose. 0 creams needed all day. No heating in slight breeze.

I pulled up to a USGB RIB to offer them a tow if needed. When I saw a young guy flip open his holster. I quickly uncovered my face & removed the hat to his widening smile. He restrapped the pistol. They talked and thanked me for offering to help in the 16' fish boat.

It was a practice break down drill.

Okay, since it seems that several people on here don't have a proper appreciation of the joy of fishing from a Chaparral, and have even gone so far as to MAKE FUN of our dear friend, Hatem, I thought it was a perfect time to post my own FISHING REPORT!! :D

So, the day started out leaving the dock at 9:30 this morning, a stop for fuel on the way out the river, and on to a ridge along the east side of Anclote Key where the Cobia are presumed to be this time of year. The best bait for Cobia are said to be jigs with whole squid, so that's what I had. For those of you who have missed the joy of fishing from a Chaparral, the bow cooler makes a great bait cooler. Fill it with ice, and load it up with stinky chum! The main thing to bear in mind with whole squid, though, is that the ink can stain your fine vinyl and gelcoat, so be sure to take advantage of that great washdown hose at the bow and keep your shiny Chap from getting SQUID INK all over the seats :haha-7383:

So, after about an hour on the ridge there, all I had caught were several grunts, snapper and some pinfish. I decided to use the pinfish for bait, since I was out looking for a nice dinner. Well, no joy. That's okay. I sat down on the huge lounger in the cockpit under the big bimini and enjoyed a lunch at the stern cockpit table.

Time to move on. Up anchor and head north to a deep, fast moving channel known to be full of sharks. They're fun to catch. I anchored up along side the channel and put my bait fish and squid out into the deeper water. Bam! Huge hook up, but way too much for my tackle, and off he went with my rig. I watched a few more sharks under the boat, but after about an hour there, decided to go try a reef about 8 miles out.

So, I set a course to the south west, settled back in the big comfy captain's seat and relaxed while the smooth, quiet Chap cruised out into the beautiful open gulf. Horrars, my reef has about a dozen boats anchored over it. :angry2: Not going to fish there. Oh well, it's 75, bright sun, 45% humidity, and a light breeze, and I'm out in the ocean with my boat and a full tank of fuel... what to do? :scratchchin:

Take a ride! Away I went, cruising down the outside of the barrier islands, then taking an inside route back north toward the mouth of the Anclote. Coming in, I settled in behind a big cruiser throwing a big wake. In his wake were three dolphins jumping and playing, putting on the best nature show I've ever seen :clapsmiley:

Finally, back at the dock five hours and 42 nautical miles later, it turned out to be a perfect day. I did give the forward cooler an extra wash out just to make sure there isn't any squid ink or guts left for next time we go on an evening wine cruise!

So, how was ya'all's day on the water? :beer-7687-1:

You're a man of my heart, Joe! That sounds like the perfect day. How could anyone not relate? You're in a great spot with the combination of all the goods meeting in one place - sun, temperature, water, color and fish. It doesn't get any better than that.

The Chap works great to fish off, I've found, with the exception of a few minor nuisances if you compare it to a center console with the whole setup. Then it gives you the added comfort of a sports boat with the plush seating. Great idea to use the bow cooler for bait. I didn't even think of that but you might've mentioned it on the other thread. Heck, I feel there's plenty of room for a carry-on bait cooler anyway.

Cobia, nice big fish. Are they culturing them in Florida now? I read an article about them doing that in Australia and now they're trying it in Cally I think. I've never had it but might try it when we get down to FLA for the holydays. I have a friend who lives in Boca Raton, going to visit him and his family for a few days and then we're hitting the Keys for about 10 days. Looking forward to doing some serious fishing for at least 9 of those lol. :D Probably do a lot of relaxing on the beach, too.

I've only fished a few times off the Chap since we got it and only have pics of the mackerel which you've already seen, but I'll be sure to update this thread right along as we get back out there again in the spring. I'm sure there's other guys who will contribute quite well. Should be a fun and long thread.

Man, that sounds like a great trip. That should be a lot of fun.

The cobia around are all totally wild. Normally they're off in deeper water, but I understand there are some times of year when they come in closer. I've actuall never caught one, but I wanted to try today. My neighbor has, and they're great eating. Some guys have even been getting grouper in close right now, but they're out of season, and I wanted something I could keep.

It's funny, the perception that fishing has to be uncomfortable. My brother in law comes from a long line of uncomfortable fishermen ;). We were riding out in my boat once, and he was lounging on the big couch in the cockpit and he commented that he doesn't feel like he could be going fishing, because he's too comfortable.

Sometimes my wife joins me fishing. She has the right idea on how to do it (she actually knows how to fish quite well). If you look carefully, you'll see a rod in a rod holder just behind her head.

2013-09-17110929_zps669e2c9f.jpg

lol, you never heard of the term "a man of my own heart"? That's the condensed version lol. It's far from what you're probably thinking, Tom, lol. You need to be cultural to understand it. :D

Great photo, Joe. That's the life. You're wife looks like she could model for Chaparral boats! You might get a call, now. :)

I(We) just spend the weekend in Ft Myers Beach/Cape Coral, 20th anniversary trip I promised my wife "no kids". A friend just moved there from up here and sold his boat (he's a little afraid gaters and orca's).

Had dinner at Tarpin Lodge Friday night what a sunset and dinner. Saturday walked the Beach bar to bar great time, Pirate Weekend. Sunday golf in the AM, then the Green Bay game by the pool, Bears game at the bar. Monday fly home.

Funny thing though my friend wouldn't mind if i brought my boat down and left it for the winter. :slap:

[ jmiska

I thought it was a perfect time to post my own FISHING REPORT!! :D]

Not as adventurous as the Ocean, however to land an unsuspected 2ft Cat Fish while Perch fishing, it was like trying to bring up a twenty pound anchor with an out of control motor attached to it. They are fun to catch while on shore, they run all over from side to side. But landing one in 25ft of water is a whole new adventure. And it was off the back end of my Chap. Denny.

0903141317b_zps71feb0aa.jpg

0929141327a_zpsf42969a2.jpg

Denny, that's a great catfish! I love your description of bringing them up. They are strong fish, for sure. Those big freshwater cats like that are great eating. I hope you kept it. That picture with the gull calmly sitting there watching you bring it up is great.

lol, you never heard of the term "a man of my own heart"? That's the condensed version lol. It's far from what you're probably thinking, Tom, lol. You need to be cultural to understand it. :D

Great photo, Joe. That's the life. You're wife looks like she could model for Chaparral boats! You might get a call, now. :)

Your right HG, never been too cultural. Kind of a river pearl, well just a river rat, I guess. :unsure:

I agree, Joe does live the good life. :)

I think that gull was asleep. They are so aggressive, that they will try to take your bait off the hook if you hesitate dropping your line in the water, or are not fast enough getting your catch in the boat. If you are catching a lot of fish sometimes it is like a city with all the gulls that are there. The brown ones are the babies and they are the aggressive ones and come in close enough that you can almost reach out and touch them. One time out I even had one perch on my bow rail, and used my deck for a toilet. The white ones are more reserved and just wait for you to throw them something. I thought of all the ways that I could do something to take control of the situation, most of which I would be fined or put in jail. Then I thought of this. While at the boat show I was looking for something to use to bail out my dingy, and I found this kids toy. It was one of those cylinder shaped squirt guns, that you draw the water in push it out, good for about 20ft, worked great without any harm to the birds also. It is bright orange and purple, and after a couple of times all I had to do was lift it in the air and they would back off. Denny.

P.S. Best eatin for me, Lake Erie Perch.

IMG_1899_zps4f09905c.jpg

Hey Joe,

what do you have for a fish finder?

Oh, and BTW, thanks for the support in your opening comment lol. Those guys love to bust balls and it's all in good, friendly spirit and I, for one, can dish it out myself so I can certainly take it! :D

I actually don't have a fishfinder. I probably have the most primitive electronics setup of anyone on this board. The extent of my hard-mounted equipment include a good Uniden VHF radio along with an older Garmin marine GPS unit that does not have a graphical chart display. My GPS shows me the position, course, speed, distance traveled, elspsed time and some other useful information, but it is not a chart plotter. My depth sounding is nothing more than the original depth guage installed in the boat, which is very accurate and works great at any speed, but, of course, does no bottom mapping at all. I do keep an iPod touch with a bad-elf GPS and Navionics clipped to the helm, but mostly I go by my paper chart books. In the near-coastal waters, the bottom changes so fast that the charts are more or less always out of date, so I navigate by personal knowlege and watching the bottom. Off shore, I use the paper charts for noting reefs, bottom structure and what I caught where. My old Garmin takes me right to my spots, and I try the fishing. My paper charts are full of notes and markings, and I keep a log of what I catch where, and when.

Honestly, I have thought about getting one. I probably should, as it would probalby help my fishing. I've looked at the Raymarine chartplotter/fishfinder combo units that seem like a great deal, but I've been reluctant to drill for another transducer. I don't expect a shoot-through would work that well, because I know I have a thin layer of foam between the thick outler layer of glass and the thin inner layer lining the bilge. I could try a transom mount one. In the end, there's so much to do, and so much to spend money on that it's just low on my priority list.

Interesting.

My NOAA ? bottom structure charts are extremely accurate for all my 90% rock bottoms with bays having some mud & weed areas.

Deep, open water fishing is with a small Garmin. Excellent with all the alarm levels available. For $ 100 I took a chance. Got lucky with a good unit.

I can fish from memory very well. Electronics are only helpful on those extremely hot water August days. Fish are tough to catch on a bare lure or spinner.

I cheat then with some bait or go fishless. A 5 gallon pail of weeds & water for a few shiners I catch with a flyrod & artificial flies.

Funny when a 30" pike takes off with my hooked & just caught shiner on 4 pound test leader. I have never got a shiner back from a pike. They can be very fast in the weeds after OUR shiner. :)

You're a seasoned boater and that experience usually goes a long way. I also find myself using my paper charts A LOT just in my first year, here. Although referencing them to the GPS is really valuable in my case and mine is about as simple as it gets with no bathymetric info on display at all, so I also rely on my built-in depth finder an frankly it scares the living daylights out of me since we have A LOT of rocks and sandbars out here. Not being able to see the depth ahead of you is tough. So the soon-to-come upgrade is mostly for navigation but while we're at it, might as well add a decent fish finder and sonar as well to complete the package. For me, the more info the better, I guess.

I agree 100% on the stress of not knowing what's ahead. The main saving grace here is mostly soft bottom, so the worst that can usually happen is a meeting with a sandbar, followed by a refreshing swim to walk the boat back to deeper water. I've done that a couple times, both when I was dressed for dinner, not swimming :).

The new systems with the forward looking sonar and bottom mapping look truly amazing. I would like a multifunction screen with that, and radar so I can watch the summer thunderstorms that limit our days out between April and September. Of course, I also want trim tabs, new full canvas, a new stereo, an arch to hold the raydome, and, oh yeah, the kids tuition is due tomorrow, again! Back to reality ;)

I agree 100% on the stress of not knowing what's ahead. The main saving grace here is mostly soft bottom, so the worst that can usually happen is a meeting with a sandbar, followed by a refreshing swim to walk the boat back to deeper water. I've done that a couple times, both when I was dressed for dinner, not swimming :).

The new systems with the forward looking sonar and bottom mapping look truly amazing. I would like a multifunction screen with that, and radar so I can watch the summer thunderstorms that limit our days out between April and September. Of course, I also want trim tabs, new full canvas, a new stereo, an arch to hold the raydome, and, oh yeah, the kids tuition is due tomorrow, again! Back to reality ;)

Hahaaa, indeed!

We're thinking of doing it, one more time before she has to go to bed. Bundle up really good, get out for some blue fish or anything that cooperates. :) We might wuss out, though. lol It's nice and sunny and fall-like out here, but in the 50's.

I have lots of pics of fish I caught on other boats but not off the Chap yet so they wouldn't qualify to post here. A few of these guys, though.

You don't need any bait to hook one of these guys, they love any shiny lure, it doesn't matter what it is and you can hook 8 of them on a single line if you get a school passing through. Neat looking fish and if my Sicilian father-in-law ever found out I put them back in and didn't bring them to him, he'd be really upset with me lol! That guy can eat any fish lol.

Atlantic Mackerel

IMG_2243_zps153cfb9b.jpg

I probably have the most primitive electronics setup of anyone on this board.

I think I have you beat, Joe. I have a cheap GPS from my car that I stick to the boat windshield, the original factory depth sounder, and my head unit doesn't even have bluetooth. Probably the most techy thing I have is The Weather Channel radar app on my phone.

At the Old Gun School. " It is not the weapon. It is the guy holding it, that is dangerous. "

Some days with kids. I work my butt off for them to have a good time. I know it is time to leave. When the kids wave off more bait after 30 or more perch each.

I really am OK filleting a 6" perch or 2 each .

Getting prepped for this trip to the Keys so checking out some videos on YouTube and from what Drew was telling me about Alligator Lighthouse I decided to check it out and stumbled on this video, remembering what Drew also said about snorkeling the neat reefs in that area and then I see this!!! You gotta be kidding me?! I think I'm staying in the boat! :D

Hatem, hammerheads aren't man eaters! The only sharks you have to worry about are bulls, tigers, and an occasional great white lol, but only bulls go in really shallow water like the area around alligator lighthouse! I snorkeled this area and didn't see one shark! I did see about 25 barracuda though.

DO NOT wear shiny rings or any tank parts around Freshwater Muskies or saltwater Barracudas. They WILL & DO bite shinny flashing items that are in / on a noise making person A exploratory bite from a big Barracuda Is a possible loss of a finger or a visit by a Nerve repairing Surgeon. I know of 1 true finger with a gold class ring being munch very badly by a Barracuda..........Said he never saw it coming. Split second munch & left with the tip joint skin pieces.

Simple precaution to do........Enjoy Dulling shiny face & regulator parts is also a great PM. We are bait with sounds that are not right to them & other big predators.