jmiska

Today's fishing report

I've never had a Lionfish, but I hear they're very good to eat. Getting on my soap box here for a minute, it seems shocking that humans can drive the American Alligator to the brink if extinction, but we can't get rid of Lionfish or Pythons in the Everglades. My cousin is a master hunter. He's a hard core Florida redneck. For years I had thought that if we just let him and the other 10,000 Florida rednecks like him loose on the Pythons, they'd be gone in a week. No such luck. Even those guys couldn't find them or kill enough of them.

It seems like the best predator for a Lionfish is a diver with a spear gun. I guess they're so used to not being attacked that they just sit there (like the video you posted, Hatem).

Here's one of my favorite videos, though. Something that actually DOES eat a Lionfish in the wild:

Decided not to try and find a parking spot at Dick's today, either. It's out of control.

Hey Joe, ever catch any yellowfin or blackfin tuna down where you are? What's coming through this time of year down in the Keys, any idea?

You know, I've never targeted Tuna. I think if I were to do that, I'd get a guide.

For the keys in January, you'll find Tarpon, and, of course, Grouper in the deeper water. I would actually suggest looking into hiring a guide for the day. It probably wouldn't be too much more than renting a boat for a day, and you'll probably have much more fun. In the keys there are inshore and off shore guides, of course, as the water just off the Atlantic side of the keys gets deep fast.

The Hull Truth has a Florida section that is quite active, especially for keys fishing. You'll find a lot more there than I'll ever know: http://www.thehulltruth.com/florida-georgia-32/

When is your trip? It sounds like it'll be a lot of fun.

Decided not to try and find a parking spot at Dick's today, either. It's out of control.

Hey Joe, ever catch any yellowfin or blackfin tuna down where you are? What's coming through this time of year down in the Keys, any idea?

You know, I've never targeted Tuna. I think if I were to do that, I'd get a guide.

For the keys in January, you'll find Tarpon, and, of course, Grouper in the deeper water. I would actually suggest looking into hiring a guide for the day. It probably wouldn't be too much more than renting a boat for a day, and you'll probably have much more fun. In the keys there are inshore and off shore guides, of course, as the water just off the Atlantic side of the keys gets deep fast.

The Hull Truth has a Florida section that is quite active, especially for keys fishing. You'll find a lot more there than I'll ever know: http://www.thehulltruth.com/florida-georgia-32/

Private fishing charters in the keys are outrageous...I remember looking this last summer and it was like one large herd for half a day or something lol. Boat rentals are 200-300 for a whole day.

I don't know what can be done...people can be real idiots...another huge problem is overfishing. Sharks and tuna come to mind. Its not guys like you Hatem, but mainly Asian commercial fisheries. For sharks they cut their fins off for shark fin soup and then send them back in the water to die a miserable death. Sad, at least the US is starting to regulate fishing more and more, but its not you and me, it's the big corporate fisheries and such. If we don't stop, certain species will go extinct and mess the ecosystem up for good.

Yeah it's pretty bad. All sorts of things happening out there. The poor tiger is in danger for his penis of all things and of course you got the rhinoceros horn and elephant tusks etc. It is sad, but at least in this case it's for a good reason.

They were thinking of putting a bounty on black crows out this way a few years ago. Those suckers would congregate by the hundreds of thousands and all roost in one particular area and their noise level was so disturbing but mostly it was their droppings that was measured in TONS lol that was the bigger problem. They ended up not doing it and found other ways to make certain areas were less attractive for their roosts.

That's a pretty good forum. Lost of stuff and more local guys from my area that participate on there, I've noticed.

We're heading out Monday morning. Looking forward to it, going to check out some big boats at MarineMax down in Miami that should be exciting. My buddy who lives in Boca Raton says he has a friend with a huge Viking and has big plans for us so we'll see. I was thinking of chartering a captain, even in a small boat so we can get to the areas with fish quicker. I do like Drew's idea of renting a boat also. Might end up doing both.

That's a pretty good forum. Lost of stuff and more local guys from my area that participate on there, I've noticed.

We're heading out Monday morning. Looking forward to it, going to check out some big boats at MarineMax down in Miami that should be exciting. My buddy who lives in Boca Raton says he has a friend with a huge Viking and has big plans for us so we'll see. I was thinking of chartering a captain, even in a small boat so we can get to the areas with fish quicker. I do like Drew's idea of renting a boat also. Might end up doing both.

It's always wise to get to know people who own huge Vikings! Big plans from the owner of a boat like that could mean you're in for a trip of a lifetime. Take lots of pictures.

It's always wise to get to know people who own huge Vikings! Big plans from the owner of a boat like that could mean you're in for a trip of a lifetime. Take lots of pictures.

They are nice boats. Never been on one myself to tell you the truth.

Ever watch Addictive Fishing? The host is pretty cool (Blair Wiggins) and he catches A LOT of very cool fish. This is an episode on yellow-fin tuna and it's incredible how many of them he catches including a bunch of black-fins. This is off of Venice, Louisiana but just absolutely great stuff and what a fun fish to catch. I like those W&M rods he uses. You'll enjoy this vid, the color of the water, the incredible looking tuna one after the other, using jigs the whole thing is outstanding.

Had a great day of fishing in the Keys last week. We spent most of our time in South Beach but got out to the Keys a couple of times and went out with Captain Scott for an amazing day. Thought of you, Joe, and T-Bone and was looking out for this teal blue Chaparral that hangs out at Alligator Lighthouse every once in a while but never saw the young man who owns it. :D Would've been great to hook up with Drew but maybe next time as I head down there again with the boys, possibly in April or in the fall for some heavy-duty Tuna and sailfish fishing. But for this time, it was super exciting.

Caught a lot of Blue Runners (those things bite at almost anything you throw at them) and several of those pesky Leather Jackets. But the really exciting ones were the Spanish Mackerels and a pair of mangrove snappers. The latter weren't that big but still, it was pretty cool to catch a couple.

The first day we were there booking the outing I couldn't believe what was under the docks that appeared to be quite normal to the locals! First the pelicans were just chillin'...

IMG_2477_zps3ad7cfb5.jpg

IMG_2478_zpsf81f0770.jpg

IMG_2482_zps97741849.jpg

Then to my amazement these massive tarpon were coming the underneaths of the docks for left-overs of the daily catches. These things were 4' long with the occasional monster!

IMG_2481_zps1a60d9f1.jpg

IMG_2483_zps73a8c1c0.jpg

IMG_2485_zpse3bd3edd.jpg

Beautiful fish the mangrove snapper and apparently some really good eating.

IMG_2622_zpsf41cfb65.jpg

Leather Jackets, these guys were actually a pain lol, kept chomping on the live shrimp bait we were using.

Notice those 5, dorsal spikes. Those are poisonous and you gotta be very careful handling those bastards.

IMG_2672_zps4c6b588c.jpg

Spanish Mackerel, very exciting fish to catch and they put up a pretty good fight, too. Just watch those fangs lol!

IMG_2627_zps795094d1.jpg

IMG_2628_zpsb85222c1.jpg

Took a few of those Mackerels and we watched Scott as he cut them in half, split the head right down the middle to open up that delicious brain juice lmao which apparently made that bait irresistible to these fellows -

IMG_2650_zps432c56d2.jpg

IMG_2649_zpsba6b8f45.jpg

IMG_2682_zps9c713a09.jpg

IMG_2683_zps1efeef4c.jpg

Those spinner sharks were pretty neat to watch the second they got hooked, they'd just come out of the water and spin and splash like mad, trying to unhook themselves. One broke a hook in half and another one must've either been a different species and a lot bigger because it was pretty obvious the way it took the line out and we watched the drag just spin and the line snap lol. All 6 sharks we caught had the hooks removed and were released.

At one point the chum was attracting all sorts of fish including this very odd species which wasn't uncommon to see considering the availability of the larger predators they suck on to. I just grabbed a small rod and threw a left-over piece of shrimp on the hook and it was instantaneous.

Remora.

IMG_2702_zps3becaf98.jpg

IMG_2703_zpsceb63715.jpg

This is when I thought of you, Joe, when you were telling us about heading out to catch Cobia. I see this fish trailing the boat and it looked like a young shark at first until Scott told me it was a Cobia. Pretty excited I did the same thing, threw a quick half-shrimp on the hook and it was seconds.

Couldn't get a lot pics of this thing because it was thrashing about and we had to get it back in the water quickly before it expired. Had to pump some water through its gills to get her going but she finally did much to our stress level that one of the "tax men" would snap it out of our hands lol.

IMG_2693_zpsba222a23.jpg

Dude, what an awesome trip! I'll check back in a bit... gotta run. Just wanted to say what great pics and bern wondering about your trip.

No worries, Joe. Thanks for checking in and maybe next time we'll hook up. It shouldn't be too long a trek for you from Tampa, right? Maybe 2-3 hours?

Anyway, those are some nice sharks! I found an interesting show on Nat Geo on the Roku the other night about shark attacks in Florida and this crazy record summer that we had on the East Coast a few years back- more people bit than I had ever realized. I kept thinking about you and your fear of sharks, and here you are catching them now. Those Mackerel are great fish, aren't they? Pound for pound they seem like some of the strongest out there.

Yes, this time of year, you'll see the tarpon in under the docks like that. They move up our way during the warmer months, and it's incredible to see them. Next time you're down there, if you get into the keys, find a place called Robbies. http://www.robbies.com/ It's a fishing/boat rental/restaurant on the docks that has a school of tarpon that just live there full time. Kids can buy buckets of chum and feed the big beasts. They come to the surface with that giant mouth and suddenly, before you even know what happened, this giant sucking rush comes from the front of the fish and the food is gone. It's a real trip how they feed.

It's about 4-5 hours drive from Tarpon Springs down to SE Florida.. It takes me a full hour to get to the Skyway at the south end of Pinellas County. I'm at the extreme north end of Pinellas and there's no good way north-south in this county. Once I clear the Skyway, it's fast highway all the way down the state and across Alligator Alley, but then it's traffic again in Miami area. Anyway, I think we need to have an owners' club meet up in Florida...

Just sayin!

I think you're on to something there, Joe, with an owner's meeting down in the Keys and it would be something us northerners would really look forward to, especially around February when it's just butt-ugly cold up here. Get down there for a week and organize a great stay and fish experience.

Getting psyched for the new season, man. Funny and neat side-effect of getting this boat last year is all my buddies are all lined up for outings LOL. When we first got it there was that half that was a bit envious lol and that other half that couldn't wait to get on it and ask about it every time I see them it's almost annoying. With our short seasons, I'm thinking of setting up some type of calender so that I can squeeze everyone in lol. But I know that'll take the fun out of the spontaneity of boating so we won't do that. We'll just have to play it by ear. Stellwagon Bank, here we come! Giant blue fin better be on the lookout.

Oh BTW, Joe funny thing the other day I was talking to the guy behind the fish counter at the local Stop & Shop lol and I was asking him about all the left-over junk of fish mish-mash they have after cutting and packaging their fish and what they did with it and then I asked him if every once in a while I could get a good size bag of fish gunk for chum and he said yeah, for sure, come on down on Fridays usually around late afternoon and that's when he's there wrapping up all that stuff. Gonna try freezing a big cube of chumbalumbgum and just tie it off one of the swim platform cleats and see what happens. Either way it'll attract something but it'll be fun to see how that works.

Love the music, crazy bastards these marlins are and I would say this is the undisputed, most dangerous fish to catch. Aside from the one kid who took the bill straight into the mouth and got his throat tickled, this is about as close as it gets lol.

My son caught this stingray and we're having a tough time identifying it correctly but I think it's just a typical Atlantic Stingray.

Had my gloves on and a heavy towel around it to unhook it and it still attempted to fling it's tail up towards my hand the feisty

little bugaboo. :)

IMG_3466_zpstbbci6gq.jpg

We've been trolling for blues but haven't caught a single one yet and I think we're using the correct spinning mackerel minnows but we're getting some bites and I had a mullet jig on one line and had him all the way to about 20ft to the swim platform but it twisted himself free.

IMG_3477_zpsjtvamjxd.jpg

We've had some great fishing days this past week. Couple times we tagged up with some other boaters and shared findings. Not much bait fish but by the time we see them there's 15 boats there already and it's tough to get a good spot without pushing someone out and I never like doing that. But not much this day on the fish finder with the other fellas. We hung together for about 1/2 hour and they had plenty of bites but couldn't reel anything in. Still fun an relaxing and we were a good 20 miles out.

IMG_3483_zpswhbtya2o.jpg

IMG_3473_zpsledmwpwi.jpg

We spent a couple days just fishing and cruising and enjoying the boat and it's interesting this year the many different things we find floating in the water. I mentioned before the wide, teak or mahogany step which I left behind but I see a lot of 2x4's and other odd pieces of wood and this one here, one of the more stranger things I've seen and I was heading straight for it until my practice of keeping an eye out on lobster trap buoys made me notice this thing which appears to be a slab of cement of some kind, but that wouldn't float, would it? What does that look like to any who might recognize it?

IMG_3476_zpsvfagcxrr.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out if it's one's duty to remove these things or leave them or call the harbor master and report their location. My instinct is that latter but those guys have their hands full and 16 is constantly going with people calling with all sorts of requests mostly for moorings. But a very funny thing happened the other day when a lady called the local harbor master and reported a floating "raccoon" loooool. We just about died on the boat from laughter because of the way she was saying it, almost as if she was embarrassed to actually put that over the airways knowing everyone was listening but even more interesting is the harbor master never replied to her. Maybe you're supposed to leave dying animals out there, even raccoons?

Amazing how the vast ocean can actually be empty sometimes and even when there's a good clump, doesn't necessarily mean you'll catch anything but just being out there and relaxing is the better part of it as far as I'm concerned.

We actually have a heat wave in September in the 90's and I said the heck with responsibilities and good think Justin had the day off and we went out in the screaming heat, glassy water and one great catch, nice 28" striper! it was a keeper but we got her back into the water an got the gills going and she flew off! Man those spinning minnows are some great lures but I lost my mackerel one to a bonehead casting I felt like an idiot! Gotta go restock before the season ends. We need to get our tuna for the year!

20150908_122000_zpstndd47nt.jpg