jmiska

Today's fishing report

Hatem, hammerheads aren't man eaters! The only sharks you have to worry about are bulls, tigers, and an occasional great white lol, but only bulls go in really shallow water like the area around alligator lighthouse! I snorkeled this area and didn't see one shark! I did see about 25 barracuda though.

When you jump into the water and you see that 10ft hammerhead, Drew, will you be telling yourself "ah who cares, that's not a man-eater it's not one of those three" as it slowly circles you and stalks you from eye level and below you and to your left and right LOL! :D I don't think so!

Ever see any Wahoo? They kinda look like barracuda and great fishing from what I hear. They put up a good fight. I've snagged a few baras in my day in the Red Sea. They travel in very large schools and all you have to do is throw a line with 4 or 6 hooks and you're bound to snag one or two as they dart out. :)

I(We) just spend the weekend in Ft Myers Beach/Cape Coral, 20th anniversary trip I promised my wife "no kids". A friend just moved there from up here and sold his boat (he's a little afraid gaters and orca's).

Funny thing though my friend wouldn't mind if i brought my boat down and left it for the winter. :slap:

And thats one of the reasons my friend sold his boat before he moved to FL.

LOL! You're buddy is a bit too sissified, Todster! :D I mean, I have the fear, there's no denying it and I don't hide it, but would I sell the Chap if I ever moved to FL just so that I stay away from the water and decrease my chances of being exposed to dangerous marine life? No way! What's wrong with that guy?! lol. If anything, I would DEFINITELY upgrade and go way bigger, because of all that beautiful water and marine life.

You're such a ball buster, you! :D Didn't want him to think I was intentionally insulting his buddy, so went with the ol' quasi, term of endearment method know wut iam sayin'? What can I say, I'm a friendly guy, T-Bone. :D

So I'll use Hatster when I'm giving you trouble about the TV. (I'm just always doing it in good fun anyway.)

It's totally cool, man. I've been given many different name versions by friends through the years so it's something I'm quite used to.

Love the new sigpic, JR. Oh, I'll be happy to catch a severe case of Contender-itis LOL those are nice little center consoles. Were you able to rent one?

Thanks, we took that pic a few weeks ago on our last trip out for the season. Actually inspired by your Avatar pic, always thought it was cool looking at the wake off the side of the boat.

The trip to the Keys was actually business (believe it or not) I have some associates that have boats in South Florida, the Contender was a friend of a friends. We had an opportunity to get several boats together and visit several of the Keys while down there.

JR

Love the new sigpic, JR. Oh, I'll be happy to catch a severe case of Contender-itis LOL those are nice little center consoles. Were you able to rent one?

Little...? :slap:

026_zpsef049761.jpg

The problem with Contenderitis is that it has a severe side effect, medical insurance won't pay for it, and it's very expensive. That side effect is "hugecollectionofhighhorsepoweroutboardsitis."

It's a terrible disease, from what I understand. I've managed to avoid it by thinking about the damage it would to to my relationships in general...

Todster?? OK, Hatster. :haha-7383:

It's weird looking at your latest sig pic on this thread with that bit of snow on it LOL! All this talk about Florida and warm weather and fishing etc and there you are with a stored boat with snow on it! At least it's a sunny day and how amazing is it that it makes such a huge difference when the sun is out? The snow and winter in general just doesn't seem that bad when the sun is blaring like in your pic.

Little...? :slap:

026_zpsef049761.jpg

LOL that is one of their bigger ones, for sure. Would really enjoy taking one of those out and go catch some yellow-fin tuna.

Next weekend or so I'll be going to pick up a couple new rods for this trip. It's REALLY, REALLY tough for me to get out of Dick's Sporting Goods once I go in LOLOL! Dang I love that store. :D

I'm more of a fresh water fisherman. Can't wait for Jan - Feb to break out the fishing boat. A days catch with dad and my two sons. Thjree generations of fishing. Got to love that.

Stringer.jpg

Nice catch, good looking kids. For us up this way, Jan-Feb is time to break out the 6-inch hole-saw to drill a hole in the ice for ice fishing lol.

Went to pick out a few new rods and some fishing gear today and I couldn't even get into the parking lot at Dick's! WTH is wrong with these people this time of year?!?! Black Friday, seriously?! Who in their right mind feels the need to camp out in front of Walmart at midnight just to get the 1 am deals?!?! I mean, shopping during the middle of the night is supposed to ease traffic during the day or is that some kind of ingenious marketing scheme by Walmart to create more business hours to maximize sales? It is absolutely NUTS out there it almost feels like the end of the world the way people are running around buying things!?

Decided not to try and find a parking spot at Dick's today, either. It's out of control.

Hey Joe, ever catch any yellowfin or blackfin tuna down where you are? What's coming through this time of year down in the Keys, any idea?

I

Lionfish removal

Sad...lion fish are a poisonous species of fish that have been dumped into Florida waters and are hurting the ecosystem. They have no natural predators here. Its definitely putting Florida's ecosystem into a interesting predicament.

Sad...lion fish are a poisonous species of fish that have been dumped into Florida waters and are hurting the ecosystem. They have no natural predators here. Its definitely putting Florida's ecosystem into a interesting predicament.

Scary how a female can lay up to 30,000 eggs every 4 days that's crazy. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing of a bounty on an animal species like this one ever. Really incredible.

I don't know what can be done...people can be real idiots...another huge problem is overfishing. Sharks and tuna come to mind. Its not guys like you Hatem, but mainly Asian commercial fisheries. For sharks they cut their fins off for shark fin soup and then send them back in the water to die a miserable death. Sad, at least the US is starting to regulate fishing more and more, but its not you and me, it's the big corporate fisheries and such. If we don't stop, certain species will go extinct and mess the ecosystem up for good.