jmiska

Today's fishing report

My Oceans are The great Lakes, and they already regulate the size and the amount of some of fish that you can catch in one day.

Back many years ago, a bad day fishing was 200 Perch. Now on Lake Erie, they limit you to 30 a day. On average they are smaller and harder to catch.

I was watching a program on Our Oceans. They did not name what fish, but they said that with today's technology used for catching fish, that our Oceans could be depleted in 5 years.

I have never fished in the Ocean, but I can remember when they said it was free, now they charge?

Any input on this? Denny.

IMG_1899_zps4f09905c.jpg

Denny, you coming down (up) this way next summer? If you do, give me a shout out and we're going to Stellwagon Bank for some incredible fishing off the 276. My way to return the favor for you turning me on to Anchorlift. :)

The only difference is fresh water fishing is limited GREATLY in species. Other than that, at least Denny posted a pic of his perch...

The only difference is fresh water fishing is limited GREATLY in species. Other than that, at least Denny posted a pic of his perch...

Hatem. We have lots of species of fresh water fish. Google fresh water species of North America. I was surprised of the amount. The game species in Michigan alone is quite extensive.

If you had a bucket full of those perch Denny posted you would drive here every weekend to get more. They are the BEST!!!!

Really cute kid, man! :)

Hatem. We have lots of species of fresh water fish. Google fresh water species of North America. I was surprised of the amount. The game species in Michigan alone is quite extensive.

Sure, no argument from me bro just nothing compared to the ocean was my point, that's all. :D

I'd much prefer to be in a lake just for the swimming factor alone.

You know, I was looking at many Red Sea videos lately and if only I can get my boat into that water since the last time I was there, I accidentally hooked a barracuda on it's side but what fune was that! Been a while since I've been back there.

This one is a bit long, about 1/2 hour but the video and music are so relaxing I plan to go back maybe in the next year of two.

Absolutely incredible and this isn't even in the area that Israel tried to militarily take by force knowing it's treasures that are hidden in so many ways and areas. But, at least that part if back to it's rightful owner but this area, I know very well Marsa Alam in in Egypt proper and check it out when you have some time.

If you had a bucket full of those perch Denny posted you would drive here every weekend to get more. They are the BEST!!!!

Perch are the only fish that I know of that you don't have to put anything on them to enhance or mask the taste to eat them.

Just a little egg and flour, pan or deep fry, and you are good to go.

Got a good winter stock in the freezer, hope to add some more before I put my girl to bed. Denny.

Perch are the only fish that I know of that you don't have to put anything on them to enhance or mask the taste to eat them.

Just a little egg and flour, pan or deep fry, and you are good to go.

Got a good winter stock in the freezer,hope to add some more before I put my girl to bed. Denny.

Agree 100%. IMO the best freshwater fish to eat. Yellow bellies. Yummmmm

Looks like's Mertzer's so pulled out a baby yellow perch. Seems to have the same coloration and patter.

We were on the Kaskaskia River a few weeks ago. It's a tributary of the Mississippi that runs through central Illinois. The fisherman there have resorted to running their jon boats just above idle speed near the bank. For some reason, perhaps due to the shallower water, the Asian carp start flying and they are easily netted in mid air. We have seen people with boat loads of them. I hear than can taste good if prepared right. I don't think I would care for them. My main source for fish is the box in my freezer. :slap:

No leader, I never go out with the intention of catching shark but on occasion like this one I manage to hook one and get it in for a pic. Pulled in a little thrasher (about 5 ft) last year, had him on the deck trying to get the hook out when I lost him before the pic. Oh, this was on 40 lb test, I use 80 lb gear when trolling.

I love to eat Mahi but I find catching them not very exciting. It's like they get hooked, say oh dam and just give up.

Tuna is my goal, been out in search of several times but no luck to date. We go out of OC Maryland, Bluefin, yellowfin, bigeyes are caught pretty regular (except for me).

That sucks about your friend, lost quite a few that way. When that happens, I feel like I should go to confession afterwards for the obscenities that come out of my mouth.

I said it before, the 327 is like the best of all worlds. The family loves the open bow for outings, I love the cabin just to get out of the sun or cool off with the ac, has the weight to better handle open waters, hardtop to keep the sun off you for the 3 hour trips we make out to the canyons. Only change would be bigger fuel tanks. I watch the CC's go out and everyone is standing and holding on to something trying not to fall out. I thought many times about going that route but what I would be giving up changes my mind.

I've caught a few threshers off of charters but they don't qualify for this great Joe Miska thread since it wasn't off a Chaparral and man, you gotta be really careful dehooking them because they're names should be thrashers that's why they have that very long dorsal tail and how they kill their prey. So you need to tire them quite a bit before bringing them on board to dehook them.

I've tried all season for bluefish but a lot of other guys are telling me they are barely around and very scarce, would love to know if this is a cyclical thing or over-fishing or what (and these guys are serious fishing guys lol) who chum and troll for hours on end for them and I got one up 20 feet to the swim platform and the bugger I could see him twist himself free! lol.

Anyway, I've lost a few expensive spinning minnows on some bites and they cut the line but I think I'm a bit stupid for using 30 lbs tackle and gonna do the same thing as you, even for sea bass not only am I using SS leader, I'm going up to 80lb test I've lost so much line this year it's not even funny. I moved to a much smaller rod to feel the action and that bass was a blast and so is mackerel but I might go down to Florida to try my hand on the larger of that species in the King Fish. Just need to set up the job site in a few weeks and I'm heading on straight down there (maybe with a buddy) and see what kind of fun we can do. If I can't get any Tuna up here now, then time to move venues. Great stuff.

Hey Denny, forget about Cyclops and his hundreds of perch (anyone can make up numbers on the internet but PICS OR IT NEVER HAPPENED) and it would be nice to see another perch besides that same one, buddy! Did you catch any this year? What about catfish?

I've caught a few threshers off of charters but they don't qualify for this great Joe Miska thread since it wasn't off a Chaparral and man, you gotta be really careful dehooking them because they're names should be thrashers that's why they have that very long dorsal tail and how they kill their prey. So you need to tire them quite a bit before bringing them on board to dehook them.

I've tried all season for bluefish but a lot of other guys are telling me they are barely around and very scarce, would love to know if this is a cyclical thing or over-fishing or what (and these guys are serious fishing guys lol) who chum and troll for hours on end for them and I got one up 20 feet to the swim platform and the bugger I could see him twist himself free! lol.

Anyway, I've lost a few expensive spinning minnows on some bites and they cut the line but I think I'm a bit stupid for using 30 lbs tackle and gonna do the same thing as you, even for sea bass not only am I using SS leader, I'm going up to 80lb test I've lost so much line this year it's not even funny. I moved to a much smaller rod to feel the action and that bass was a blast and so is mackerel but I might go down to Florida to try my hand on the larger of that species in the King Fish. Just need to set up the job site in a few weeks and I'm heading on straight down there (maybe with a buddy) and see what kind of fun we can do. If I can't get any Tuna up here now, then time to move venues. Great stuff.

Hey Denny, forget about Cyclops and his hundreds of perch (anyone can make up numbers on the internet but PICS OR IT NEVER HAPPENED) and it would be nice to see another perch besides that same one, buddy! Did you catch any this year? What about catfish?

No catfish this year, but here is 1 of 2 that I caught last year, that were 2ft. long.

These 4 perch are from a bad day of fishing, but it was a great day for boating.

I'll work on getting you some pics. the next time we get the mother load of perch.

Denny.

0929141327a_zpsf42969a2.jpg

IMG_0095_zpsh6jeexya.jpg

Very nice. At least they are new pics to us that's all that counts except that catfish, seen that one already.

Interesting you haven't had much luck with catfish either? Unless you're not actually looking for them but it seems to be a trend and not over fishing and the cycle will come around again.

Very nice. At least they are new pics to us that's all that counts except that catfish, seen that one already.

Interesting you haven't had much luck with catfish either? Unless you're not actually looking for them but it seems to be a trend and not over fishing and the cycle will come around again.

Sorry for the reruns, I'll work on getting some new stock. No I was perch fishing on Lake Erie, in about 30ft. of water with a spreader and minnows, It was very unexpected. Fishing for them on shore is one thing, but in a boat it was like bringing up a running out board motor that was not hooked to anything. What a blast!

Denny.

Hard to catch any large amounts of any fish due to the US government protecting the Asian Cormarant. They DO WIPE OUT ALL the easiest daytime fish to catch. They are in the thousands on the Saint Lawrence River & Lake Ontario junction point. They eat EVERY type of small fish. Soon a collapse of easy to catch day fish occurs. The survivors are all GENITICALLY night time fish. or all VERY cautious day fish genitically.

I LOVE all the immigrants bringing in all their animals & plants. If you left your terrible country ? Leave your nasty animals & plants there !!

Our us politicans will do anything for money. ANYTHING !!

it would be nice to see another perch besides that same one, buddy! Did you catch any this year? What about catfish?

Hatem, here are some of this years Perch, 49 of them. The large one is 11&1/2 inches, the others are 7-8 inches.

Also the same day I got this Catfish.

Also, here is a picture to show you that sometimes my girl does get a little messy.

If the weather is good tomorrow, going to go out for some more, and even if I don't catch anything, I'm boat'n.

Denny.

IMG_0975_zpsmgrbk0vf.jpg

IMG_0972_zpsgoldcfbj.jpg

IMG_0977_zpstae53i9q.jpg

Denny, you are a serious fisherman, nice catch.

FE2EE10C-3E1D-4676-A93B-2650BEB90BA7_zps

Not really, I only fish for Perch. Fishing just gives me another reason to be on the water, ( like today.)

We tried out 4 different spots today and only caught about 20 keepers.

Logged 2.1hrs of running time and 7hrs on the water, with lots of sun shine and temps. near 80 degrees.

I wish we could have had some of this weather in June. Denny.

North side of West Sister Island / Lake Erie

IMG_0082_zpsywmrtj6c.jpg

IMG_0972_zpsgoldcfbj.jpg

Oh yeah what a mess lol. Are you kidding me, that's nothing. Sorry, Denny, as nice and perch are, they just don't excite me and I gotta get out out on the ocean buddy. Just go back a few pages and see the pics JDUBS caught off his 327 and even the ones we've caught. Yeah, sure, perch is good but so isn't haddock and flounder and wow at tuna and a mess of other salt water fish. I noticed you travel a lot so maybe next summer you can come up here and we'll go of shore and I will guarantee it will chance your mind about fishing the limited supply in the fresh water. But I like that catfish and I'm not a keeper except for one type of fish - haddock. But we gotta go out at least 50 miles to find those. Truly the best but either way, most of the stuff is for us is catch and release. We had a lot of fun bringing these guys in. Caught that bass on a 4 ft rod with a spinning mackerel minnow and no leader. They see the leader and they know it's a trap so you gotta cast it really far and it not, idle a bit forward so you got at last 100 yard. Then very slowly reel it in because then that minnow spins just like a real fish. If a bluefish doesn't get to it first, a stripped bass will and they are bot a TON of fun on a smaller rod as long as you don't lose the minnow. I don't mind losing the fish because it's just the way it goes sometimes but I don't want a fish trying to survive with a minnow stuck on its gizzard filled with hooks. And the bluefush but up a fight you an't imagine~ lots of fun! :)

IMG_0972_zpsgoldcfbj.jpg

Oh yeah what a mess lol. Are you kidding me, that's nothing. Sorry, Denny, as nice and perch are, they just don't excite me and I gotta get out out on the ocean buddy. Just go back a few pages and see the pics JDUBS caught off his 327 and even the ones we've caught. Yeah, sure, perch is good but so isn't haddock and flounder and wow at tuna and a mess of other salt water fish. I noticed you travel a lot so maybe next summer you can come up here and we'll go of shore and I will guarantee it will chance your mind about fishing the limited supply in the fresh water. But I like that catfish and I'm not a keeper except for one type of fish - haddock. But we gotta go out at least 50 miles to find those. Truly the best but either way, most of the stuff is for us is catch and release. We had a lot of fun bringing these guys in. Caught that bass on a 4 ft rod with a spinning mackerel minnow and no leader. They see the leader and they know it's a trap so you gotta cast it really far and it not, idle a bit forward so you got at last 100 yard. Then very slowly reel it in because then that minnow spins just like a real fish. If a bluefish doesn't get to it first, a stripped bass will and they are bot a TON of fun on a smaller rod as long as you don't lose the minnow. I don't mind losing the fish because it's just the way it goes sometimes but I don't want a fish trying to survive with a minnow stuck on its gizzard filled with hooks. And the bluefush but up a fight you an't imagine~ lots of fun! :)

I don't know anything about sport fishing. I do have a friend that lives in Ashby, Ma. that I would like to visit,

Maybe then you can show me what ocean fishing is all about.

My Perch are not that exciting to catch, however hooking in to a Cat or Sheephead with a light rod is.

Denny.

We are getting lots of fresh water Drums this year. They are great on attacking large pike lures. A 28 to 30" is unstoppable on heavy fresh water tackle. :)

Was reeling in a perch when a big pike clamped down with head shakes. Lets go of the perch. 5 seconds later he hits the perch again. 40 lb test did not budge it. Lets go again. Perch was almost sawn in half by the pike.

Denny...nice day of fishing. Heck I would have fun catching those all day long on a nice ultra light with 2lb test. Just like fishing for crappies and blue gills.