jmiska

Today's fishing report

IMG_0972_zpsgoldcfbj.jpg

Oh yeah what a mess lol. Are you kidding me, that's nothing. Sorry, Denny, as nice and perch are, they just don't excite me and I gotta get out out on the ocean buddy. Just go back a few pages and see the pics JDUBS caught off his 327 and even the ones we've caught. Yeah, sure, perch is good but so isn't haddock and flounder and wow at tuna and a mess of other salt water fish. I noticed you travel a lot so maybe next summer you can come up here and we'll go of shore and I will guarantee it will chance your mind about fishing the limited supply in the fresh water. But I like that catfish and I'm not a keeper except for one type of fish - haddock. But we gotta go out at least 50 miles to find those. Truly the best but either way, most of the stuff is for us is catch and release. We had a lot of fun bringing these guys in. Caught that bass on a 4 ft rod with a spinning mackerel minnow and no leader. They see the leader and they know it's a trap so you gotta cast it really far and it not, idle a bit forward so you got at last 100 yard. Then very slowly reel it in because then that minnow spins just like a real fish. If a bluefish doesn't get to it first, a stripped bass will and they are bot a TON of fun on a smaller rod as long as you don't lose the minnow. I don't mind losing the fish because it's just the way it goes sometimes but I don't want a fish trying to survive with a minnow stuck on its gizzard filled with hooks. And the bluefush but up a fight you an't imagine~ lots of fun! :)

Lose two points for an ocean Catfish, bud. :)

Lose two points for an ocean Catfish, bud. :)

Hey I'm just catching a bit of news before heading out and there was a poor fellow who was trying to get into the water here locally to get into his boat and drive it to the ramp I guess, maybe take it off it's mooring and get ready for this storm that's coming and he drowned and died the poor guy. Some people who he talked to and saw him go in say he had his life vest on but many others are saying he had it wrapped around his belt! Just crazy to get into the weather while it's 62 degrees or less even for a boat but at least wear a life vest properly because I have a feeling the guys who say he had it wrapped around his seat belt are probably more correct than the others who said he had it on. Just a hunch.

Are you guys bracing for this hurricane? Since last night it has changed its predicted courses and headed much more north towards Nantucket Sound. So I gotta get my boat out of the driveway because I have a lot of trees! But poor guy, what a shame. Here he is trying to get his boat but to swim to it? Get someone to dinghy you over there, man. I find it pretty easy to get rides from the marina to the ramp from strangers and even the water taxi but mostly strangers and people are generally nice if they belong to the same community as you. They're more than willing to help in most cases.

Here is another first. The admiral brought this little guy in. Once I saw what it was I made her let him take some line in hopes to tire him out some before coming on board. Once I thought it was time for the meet and greet I pulled him on deck and quickly found out that he had no interest in meeting us let alone posing for a pic. Had to almost lay on top of him until he calmed down to prevent him from hurting himself. After the photo shoot, I put him back in and held him until he was ready, then left go. He circled back around, stop and gave me a evil stare as if to say, you just wait until I tell my dad, then off he went.

hammerhead1.jpg

HAHAHAHA that is freaking AWESOME! BEAUTIFUL relatively young Hammerhead but not too young. You don't get that many opportunities up this way where we're at but you also have to be able to differentiate between a young hammerhead and a Bonnethead shark. A lot of people catch Bonnetead sharks and they don't know any better and start yelling "hey, we caught a baby hammerhead" and they show a picture of it until someone tells them what it really is was not a hammerhead and interestingly enough there are several sub-species of Hammerheads Clearly what you caught (appears to me is a young scalloped hammerhead (correct me if you think I'm wrong, please, this is good stuff)

- They actually belong in the same family (all considered hammerheads but the Bonnetheads are very common in Florida.

sharks-hammerhead-id-fwc.JPG

Look how close a Bonnethead looks to a Hammerhead?

1.jpg

IMG_10571.jpg

Love the blowfish and the lizzardfish such great stuff. You've brought this thread to another level. Funny no one cares about these things as much as us ocean fishing guys but who cares.

AMAZING that you're seeing this stuff just off of Fenwick island? It's a 8 or 9 hour drive for us and the weather is still that nice in the fall? I'm coming down there man this sucks! lol :D

Here are some catches from the last 2 weeks.

This is the 1st blowfish I have seen in over 40 years. We used to catch these by the bucket fulls before they disappeared.

Blowfish.jpgBlowfish1.jpg

Ok, so this is pretty fascinating to me, SK. What is your personal opinion of why it's been so long? Obviously this is not a migratory thing and more like a population issue. I don't want to say over-fishing or some sort of bizarre thing like a weird disease they're going through but what's your opinion. Wow what beautiful fish you get to catch.

Hey, this thread has gotten great! I wonder if warmer water temperatures are driving the puffer fish north? We get lots of them exactly like that around here, year round. Odd, though, that they were there, then gone, and now are back. Maybe they're a slightly different species now?

Hey, this thread has gotten great! I wonder if warmer water temperatures are driving the puffer fish north? We get lots of them exactly like that around here, year round. Odd, though, that they were there, then gone, and now are back. Maybe they're a slightly different species now?

Very interesting and could very well be climate related. I'm very interested in this stuff especially when the great whites started showing up in Cape Cod around 2012 and they couldn't understand why they were coming up here with such low water temperatures even with the abundance of seals. It didn't make sense so their doing a separate study of the water temperature, a very detailed one.

One of my clients who knows all about my new boating experiences pulled out a local paper from the town of Newbury which is the next door town to Newburyport where the great Merrimack River exits to the Atlantic and apparently a local fisherman spotted a 12ft great white shark attacking a number of seals. Going crazy but the poor #$%^$%&$ never took any pictures. He claimed the sighting was right at the opening of the river into the Atlantic so a bunch of other professionals took him to task and said that he got confused between a sunfish playing with the seals rather than a GW attacking them. These guys said that the area is filled with those big, majestic sunfish and sometimes their fins pop out of the water and looks a lot like a shark. Hard to believe who at this point but I know one thing...........the Merrimack River outlet/inlet is about 10 miles from my house!!! YUMMMY!!!! :D

Hey, even seeing sunfish and photographing them would be a blast!!!

HAHAHAHA that is freaking AWESOME! BEAUTIFUL relatively young Hammerhead but not too young. You don't get that many opportunities up this way where we're at but you also have to be able to differentiate between a young hammerhead and a Bonnethead shark. A lot of people catch Bonnetead sharks and they don't know any better and start yelling "hey, we caught a baby hammerhead" and they show a picture of it until someone tells them what it really is was not a hammerhead and interestingly enough there are several sub-species of Hammerheads Clearly what you caught (appears to me is a young scalloped hammerhead (correct me if you think I'm wrong, please, this is good stuff)

- They actually belong in the same family (all considered hammerheads but the Bonnetheads are very common in Florida.

sharks-hammerhead-id-fwc.JPG

I would have to agree on the type. They must like to dig in. Spent 10 minutes wiping the boat down after his departure because of how dirty he was. People spotted a hammerhead in the inlet early spring. There was all kind of discussions on why, from water temps, to being sick. We caught this one 10 miles out of OC inlet around the same area we caught the blue pictured earlier.

I don't no the answer but always found it strange. This was the only one we caught so can't really confirm there back or if this one just got lost. If I remember correctly, they have a lot of bones so eating is not that popular, what are your thoughts? This guy went back for that reason.

I never even thought about eating them, we just thought they were cool and my kids love it when they puff up. We check them out and send them back. They are funny little fish, for sure.

Beautiful Atlantic Mackerel this time of year if you get lucky and spot a school of them on your finder you can pull up 7 at a time.

That's one good looking fish. Never caught one.

Interesting! This is the stuff I love for all of us who live all along the eastern seaboard to discuss because we can learn how far these specific species travel. Really good to know.

Justin catches those by the tens and when I see a school I warn him it's either Macs or squid and we really don't want either since they don't fight much but this one here, once I de-hooked it so we can get her back in she bounced from the sun pad to the counter to the floor LOL really feisty little booger. Had to hold her with 2 hands just to take the pic and surprisingly enough, usually those don't last too long out of the water and this one was out for a while while we were bouncing around trying to catch it lol and look at its mouth, the minute he put her in the water ZOOOM! lol

IMG_3412_zpsxssjjkmz.jpg

I would have to agree on the type. They must like to dig in. Spent 10 minutes wiping the boat down after his departure because of how dirty he was. People spotted a hammerhead in the inlet early spring. There was all kind of discussions on why, from water temps, to being sick. We caught this one 10 miles out of OC inlet around the same area we caught the blue pictured earlier.

I missed this post but what a great, story SK. Amazing that he was trying to dig himself into the bottom. Could you tell if he was actually doing it while you had him hooked or was he hunting prior? Must be the former since he was dirty when you pulled him out. Wow, what experiences you are sharing truly the best! Did you read the entire thread? Do back and check out those spinner sharks Justin and I were pulling out (we had 9 total I believe) but one must've been a tiger or something a lot bigger becuase if just ripped the line and I forget what pound test Scott was using at the time. Can't wait to get down there again and I actually asked my wife if she would fly and I'd drive the trailer all the way down with the boat so we can spend a lot of time on the water. She hasn't decided yet but I have a bad feeling it will be an astounding NO! lol :)

Great stuff and thanks again for sharing. This thread has elevated its level by 600% thanks to your posts I would say.

Beautiful Atlantic Mackerel this time of year if you get lucky and spot a school of them on your finder you can pull up 7 at a time.

IMG_2243_zps153cfb9b.jpg

Great looking fish. Very pretty. Never see that type around here.

I missed this post but what a great, story SK. Amazing that he was trying to dig himself into the bottom. Could you tell if he was actually doing it while you had him hooked or was he hunting prior? Must be the former since he was dirty when you pulled him out. Wow, what experiences you are sharing truly the best! Did you read the entire thread? Do back and check out those spinner sharks Justin and I were pulling out (we had 9 total I believe) but one must've been a tiger or something a lot bigger becuase if just ripped the line and I forget what pound test Scott was using at the time. Can't wait to get down there again and I actually asked my wife if she would fly and I'd drive the trailer all the way down with the boat so we can spend a lot of time on the water. She hasn't decided yet but I have a bad feeling it will be an astounding NO! lol :)

Great stuff and thanks again for sharing. This thread has elevated its level by 600% thanks to your posts I would say.

OK, I don't know how I missed your pics of that trip. Looked like a GREAT day of fishing. Was that a normal day for down there? Great days are few and far between for us but when we get one, it sure makes the trip back home more satisfying. There are only two types of fishing days, Good because your are just out relaxing, maybe you reel something in and maybe not. Then the great days where no relaxing is involved.

OK, I don't know how I missed your pics of that trip. Looked like a GREAT day of fishing. Was that a normal day for down there? Great days are few and far between for us but when we get one, it sure makes the trip back home more satisfying. There are only two types of fishing days, Good because your are just out relaxing, maybe you reel something in and maybe not. Then the great days where no relaxing is involved.

Spot on! That was actually a small 25-footer than we chartered from a famous marina/hotel in Islamorada (if you'd like some more info, SK, I'd be happy to pm you who to go out with,) Captain Scott and he drove us out about an hour and a half before we reached a specific spot he had marked and we were only supposed to spend 2 hours there and move to another one, but we kept catching fish after fish after fish that he asked me if we wanted to try another place and I said forget it, are you kidding me, with all this luck we're having why alter the joojjoo that's happening here, why alter it lol? So we stayed there, bro, and we caught over 30 fish including 7 spinner sharks and it was truly one of the best days I've ever had with my son. We slept like babies that night but, we also noticed a few nearby boat honking their horns and waving congratulations because we were on a roll, bro, and it was all because of Captain Scott and I can give you all his information if you would like because he did some amazing stuff he said this - "watch how fast we catch a spinner shark or even a black fin (BTW, those 2 species are identical except the spinner has a dark tip on the anal fin while the black tip doesn't and that is the ONLY way to recognize the difference) but he takes one of those spunky Spanish mackerels, cuts the head off completely and then splices the head 3/4 of the way only and sticks the circle hook in a special way and SK, I swear to God, he casted in maybe 25ft away from the boat and the instance it hit the water BANG! We thought the sharks were watching us and this one was waiting like a dog when you throw if a bone and it catches it out of the air, right? This is what this shark did the milisecond the split head with all its delicious juices hit the water we could not believe it!

But next time I'm sure he'll agree for the same fee to take us out on our own Chaparral so we can have the same experience off our own boat which is what I would love to do. What you're doing in your 327 is keeping me up all night, bro! :D Awesome fishing, man!

Just had 4 rod holders with the black rubber covers that's attached to the seal itself that you showed me arrive a few days ago! Very happy and very psyched can't wait to install them. Thank you for all the super valuable information and pointers you've given me via email and on our trip to remember! I kept calling those fish young sand sharks when they're actually dogfish. Learned something new there.

Quick question for you, there's actually a new company that makes those things spin but what I was wondering, do you have the bottoms draining into the bilge or do you actually pipe them somehow, either into a T to the self bailing outlets or something else? Thx, Rob.

Quick question for you, there's actually a new company that makes those things spin but what I was wondering, do you have the bottoms draining into the bilge or do you actually pipe them somehow, either into a T to the self bailing outlets or something else? Thx, Rob.

Bottoms are open and drain into the bilge. Very little drainage since when not in use the caps are on.

Bottoms are open and drain into the bilge. Very little drainage since when not in use the caps are on.

Cool, thanks. Yeah I didn't think you tubed them anywhere like you said, it's only the line that's wet but a little shake before inserting the rod would help get rid of that bit of residue. But after being on that boat and it looking like it was built just yesterday....:) I thought maybe you might've done something.

BTW, just for you and any others interested in these, you can add them to those rod holders to allow the rod to spin if it's hinged. Just Just came out I read and saw it this past weekend. SS swivel inserts on those if you wanted them so notched rod is not pinned if something's hooked and in it's a new product. if you're interested email me Rob, I'll give you the contact info;

406521d1395351930-rod-holder-swivel-inse

406522d1395351930-rod-holder-swivel-inse