MontreAl

Hidden costs of boating

Saturday morning and we are getting ready for an overnight on the JAH Love. I walked to the dock to bring a few things to the boat and reached into my pocket for the key to lower the lift. As I pulled out my key ring, out jumped my Garmin G2 vision card and dropped into the water. S%$T! The SD card was still floating, so I leaned out from the dock stretching to retrieve it and fell into the water. Doh.

So, before even leaving the dock, I lost my G2 Vision card and my cell phone, which was in my pocket of course - it got wet and now does not work. Then while docking up at a restaurant for dinner last night, the cross-wind was really blowing and I bumped into an adjacent boat. The boat owner was not very gracious - "learn how to effin drive" says he.

Lol. Sorry to hear about these additional costs you've incurred. Sorry, I know it's mean but I still find it a bit hilarious.

Once I was BBQ ing on the swim platform and my wife took over for me for a bit to watch the food. When I came back to the swim platform I grabbed her pretending that I wanted to throw her in the water (we never do this to each other for real). Before we know, we're both losing balance and land in the water in full clothing lol. It was about 3 ft deep and hard rock bottom. I made contact with the bottom but did not get hurt. And yes my Samsung gs3 went in the water with me. I pulled it out in a millisecond and saved it. But I was BBQ ing for the rest of the night in my spare undies (only!) . Lol.

_

Rice Rice......put the phone in a bag of rice. Any of them "Minute, Boil in the bag, real rice" it wil dry the phone out, in a day or so. Rice loves water it will suck it right out.

My brother dropped his in the Ozarks last year, after a day it worked still has it.

Saturday morning and we are getting ready for an overnight on the JAH Love. I walked to the dock to bring a few things to the boat and reached into my pocket for the key to lower the lift. As I pulled out my key ring, out jumped my Garmin G2 vision card and dropped into the water. S%$T! The SD card was still floating, so I leaned out from the dock stretching to retrieve it and fell into the water. Doh.

So, before even leaving the dock, I lost my G2 Vision card and my cell phone, which was in my pocket of course - it got wet and now does not work. Then while docking up at a restaurant for dinner last night, the cross-wind was really blowing and I bumped into an adjacent boat. The boat owner was not very gracious - "learn how to effin drive" says he.

Good stuff! Reminds me of many years ago we went canoeing for the day and this was before we bought our canoe so we would rent one at the river dock. Got there, before getting into the canoe my wife drops the car keys in the water just like you did, between the boat and the dock. Dock guy says go out and enjoy yourselves and come back we'll get the magnet out. Couldn't go canoeing knowing we can't get back into the car so we asked him to try then and he did. Dragged the magnet a couple of times and yaay, keys came up. We get in the canoe and paddle about a 1/4 mile up river and try to line up to make it through the center of the arched underpass on a stone bridge and fail miserably and get closer to the low, right side. The Missus leans over to avoid her head from bumping the bridge - I scream don't lean just push off and SPLASH! lol. The two of us in the water with all our clothes on and our son at the time was 6 or 7 and as soon as I got my head above water I started looking for him and there he was, the smartest of all of us still in the canoe LOL! Till this day I have no idea how he managed to stay on it while the two of us went for a dunk. Quite a few canoes around with many watchful, laughing eyes at our embarrassment lol. That was a tough day. :)

I know that feeling oh too well lol. The day i picked my boat up i was backing into a slip.The salesman and my old man were on the dock. It was mid April here in CT so the water temp was probably around 45-50. I was backing in and all of a sudden i heard no no no. I gassed it forward thinking i was going to back into something. It was really my old man that was jumping for the boat (1 or 2 feet away). He thought i was going to bump the dock so he was going to stop it. When i gassed forward he fell in... Could have been real ugly. He happened to be wearing his Maui Jim Sunglasses, iphone 5, and nice polo jacket. Iphone never came back to life and the sunglasses are still sitting on the bottom of the Greenwich marina lol.... Live and Learn

I have a Ford truck with the combo key pad. We lock the keys in the truck while out on the boat for the day so we don't lose them.

I'm convinced that there are some days that the sea gods really don't want us around. They try to keep us off by taking our keys, dunking us in the water, etc, but we just don't listen. Days that start like that almost always end with some kind of damage, either to my boat, my stuff (here's to you, George), or at least my pride and enjoyment of the day.

As I've gotten older, I've learned to listen a little better. If I think I want to go boating, but things seem to be working against me, I'll often just say "not today" and go do whatever it was that the responsible version of me knew I should be doing, anyway.

By the way, the title of the thread made me think of expenses no one would ever think of when considering a boat. The first one that came to mind was lawncare service!

Naah!! I still cut my own grass..............after we get home from the water. :banana2:

Had my cell phone, digital camera, GPS unit and truck keys go in once when the Mrs. drove the dock cart off the dock. Everything was in a canvas boating bag. Lost the camera and GPS unit, but thank goodness not the keys or phone. Phone was never right again after that. All in all about $1500. Needless to say, I now put everything into a large ziplock bag before getting on or off the boat.

This was locally...in the salt! Guy didn't put his new Toyota in park! It makes cell phones and plotter cards getting wet look good!

post-13040-0-99134900-1414384169_thumb.p

Handiest thing we have is a waterproof storage box bought for $10 at the local Walmart in the camping section. We have a couple of them and they're large enough for phone, wallet, keys and even an iPod.

So far, so good.... :)

One weekend a few years back we launched at a local ramp and headed over to a beach area to hang out and relax. Arrived at the beach, got the dog out of the boat, went back for the cooler, while holding the cooler, standing on the stern platform (Before I had an ESP) a wave rolled in. I commenced to doing the huck a buck, lost my balance and fell onto the fully trimmed up outdrive right on my lower back. The fact that the cooler and my Oakleys were in the water were of no concern at the moment. I was hurting pretty bad :slap: A few mins later I retrieved the cooler and searched for my Oakleys to no avail. I went back to just relaxing in the water, still hurting, while my GF and the dog strolled down the beach for awhile. About thirty mins later, I was still relaxing / recovering when they returned, low and behold she had my oakleys in her hand. They had washed up on the beach about 100 yards down. What are the chances! :banana2:

I bought a waterproof phone case for my iPhone and I always put a floaty on my truck keys. I also have a neoprene strap on my Costa Del Mars so they don't go swimming. This is all based on lessons learned!!:) I remember a few years ago, the old lady, me and my in-laws went out for an early morning boat ride to a on-water coffee shop. It was cloudy and very cool that morning. I backed into the slip and jumped off to tie up the boat. In the time I jumped off, the very stiff cross wind blew the boat far enough away from the dock that I couldn't reach it. The Admiral proceeds to throw me the line, however she was 2' short with her throw. As I tried to reach it, in the drink I went in full sweats, hoodie, etc.!! I believe I walked on water that morning to get out so fast!! Meanwhile everyone in the area was hysterical laughing as they watched the Admiral "set me up"!!