I am saddened by the passing of Tom Magliozzi of Car Talk. The only thing better than driving to the boat on a beautiful saturday morning, was doing it while listening to Tom & Ray and with a smile on my face the whole way.

Given the predilection of this group for engines & mechanicals, I'm guessing I'm not the only person who enjoyed them.

Thank you Tom (& Ray) for bringing joy to my life, and my wife & daughters too. Peace.

You're kidding me? What happened? I missed this since we've had nothing but Patriots and our dear, recently retired and all-time favorite mayor of Boston - Tom Menino pass away last Friday and he was such a popular mayor (probably the most admired mayor this city has ever seen) and it's been all about him that this other sad news probably got buried (no pun intended) in all that stuff.

The Car Talk guys are also local, straight out of Harvard Square in Cambridge! Very sad. RIP.

Absolutely enjoyed that show and that laughing was contagious and their humor was infectious and enjoyable to the greatest extent. Truly one of the best programs on NPR. What a shame.

You can tell every time someone would call that they would be having a ball just being on with those two guys and never minded talking about the weird problems their cars would have and these guys would take their expertise and turn it into this one of a kind comic/mechanic/humorous/fun-loving and even problem solving responses. It was a program that stood on its own and there was nothing else like it on the radio or TV. They would never have a single moment where it would be awkward or tense or angry or anything negative. Just pure, solid, fun-loving and comedic car talk and exchanges with people. The show's end with the naming of the program personnel was the best ever. I'm shocked, neither were that old and seemed ok from what I remember. Was he sick?

On the nightly news they quoted one of his question/answers. Question: How can I tell if my mechanic is any good? Answer: The size of his boat!!! LOL

The absolute best show on radio, hands down. I never found a better way to spend a Saturday morning driving around running my errands or doing my pre-launch boat chores than keeping it on Car Talk. Anybody that could listen to that infectious laugh and not get a smile on his face is somebody I don't think I want to be around....

The best sign-off in the world:

"Don't ride with my brother."

"No, don't ride with MY brother."

You'll be missed, Tom.

Sheeesh I'm really disappointed at the local media for barely covering this. As a matter of fact, hardly covering it. These guys were local and you would think they'd at least make it a point to mention it and give it some merit but there's barely any mention of it. Not even on the local cable news. I know the mayor's passing was a bit more front & center and the governor's race and today's voting is big news but they've botched this one for sure. Shame.

+1 on all the comments....Lost track of them the last few years. how about Cyclops and me teaming up on boats ?....Nah !

Love this quote from Ray when he announced Tom's death:

In a statement announcing his brother’s death, Ray said: “Turns out he wasn’t kidding. He really couldn’t remember last week’s puzzler.”

+1 on all the comments....Lost track of them the last few years. how about Cyclops and me teaming up on boats ?....Nah !

Clops and Walts Chappy Talk? :scratchchin:

I didn't realize those guys are that old. We'll miss you, Tom.

By far the best program on radio. Admiral thought otherwise. Just recently learned that they stopped broadcasting new episodes in 2012.

Great NPR show for many years. Always funny and lots of info.

CA420C38-9E89-45EF-9446-5E1F37BD0857_zps

You can tell every time someone would call that they would be having a ball just being on with those two guys and never minded talking about the weird problems their cars would have and these guys would take their expertise and turn it into this one of a kind comic/mechanic/humorous/fun-loving and even problem solving responses. It was a program that stood on its own and there was nothing else like it on the radio or TV. They would never have a single moment where it would be awkward or tense or angry or anything negative. Just pure, solid, fun-loving and comedic car talk and exchanges with people. The show's end with the naming of the program personnel was the best ever. I'm shocked, neither were that old and seemed ok from what I remember. Was he sick?

Yes, they said he died of complications from Alzheimer's disease. And that threw me too. What a brilliant guy. That must of been hard for him and his family.

Oh, I'd tune in. Bet others would too!

Love this quote from Ray when he announced Tom's death:

In a statement announcing his brother’s death, Ray said: “Turns out he wasn’t kidding. He really couldn’t remember last week’s puzzler.”

Ya know, it seems fitting that he uses humor in that way. These guys are still teaching me!

Old%20car%20Guys.jpg?dl=0 well anyway it was a cartoon of the Old boys in a nursing home and tom uas under the bed fixing it ! I hate this picture posting method. I like to keep it simple.