Sign in to follow this  
rbwhiz

204 SSI

Ook... I'm playing with the idea of selling my 186 and slightly upgrading. I love my boat, but for what I want to do to it to upgrade, I might as well just buy a slightly larger one (ONLY if I can find what I want). So, the one that has my interest is a 2004-2008 204 SSI. Was wondering if anyone here has one and your opinion of it. Would love to hear what y'all think.

I love the 204. It was on the top of my list when I was shopping. I liked the walkthrough at the transom and the forward boarding ladder. Couldn't find one close enough to us, though. We came across our red 210 for a decent price and didn't look back.

For its length (~20ft) the 204SSi is a nice wide boat - 8'5". With the rear boarding area open, the rear seat is still enough for 3 comfortably. Only downside is they tend to be a little pricey here in my neck of the woods.

I had a 2004 204 SSI with 5.0. Only thing I added was a 4 blade Solas Stainless Steel prop. Would get up on plane quickly and hold it at a low speed. Great seats too.

Awesome boat!!

I had a 2004 204 SSI with 5.0. Only thing I added was a 4 blade Solas Stainless Steel prop. Would get up on plane quickly and hold it at a low speed. Great seats too.

Awesome boat!!

Might also try smart tabs. Worked great on mine.

Take a look at a similar vintage 220SSi - if you can find one. But then, I am biased.

brick

Check c-list for this one , just stumbled on it, not mine, no affiliation.

2004 220ssi ... 21 larger herds of deer in nashville

What about a 2330ss? Those are awesome and have classic, sexy lines. You can find one with stainless gauge bezels, wood grain, full canvas, and fiberglass floor for around 12-17k. You can upgrade your boat for the price you could sell yours for, just a thought! Although I may be biased because I love 89'-99' Chaps, but am not too fond of the 2000-2008 ones due to how round they are! :beer-7687-1:

Why not get a 220 ssi? You may get two-foot-itis again in a year or two...

It's really not the length or even the size.... My thinking is more of along the lines of upgrades (i.e. esp, bimini, dual axle trailer, etc) to what I have (running probably around $3k)..... and people offering me $3k over what I paid for this one.... I could get something with the upgrades I want already on them AND a walk-through in the back (I really want this ).

I've actually considered the 220, but they seem to run just a bit out of the range that I'm wanting to spend (around 15 large deer). But the 204 seems to be possible. (Plus I love the boarding ladder in the front) .

Might also try smart tabs. Worked great on mine.

if it planes anything like my 186, I won't need smart tabs. lol

If you step up to a 220 Id look for a 5.7 they're heavy boats. JMO.

I thought you could get a 204 with a 5.7??? But very hard to find.

I have found one with a Volvo 5.0 GXI ... wouldn't mind that one at all.

What about a 2330ss? Those are awesome and have classic, sexy lines. You can find one with stainless gauge bezels, wood grain, full canvas, and fiberglass floor for around 12-17k. You can upgrade your boat for the price you could sell yours for, just a thought! Although I may be biased because I love 89'-99' Chaps, but am not too fond of the 2000-2008 ones due to how round they are! :beer-7687-1:

I like both... but honestly would love an 04 or 05 ... I found an 06 I absolutely loved, but don't think I can get it down to my price range..... only has 44 hrs on it. She's beee-uuuuu-tee-full! ;)

We've had our 204 for 2 seasons now. Very happy with it and love the walk thru transom. The front boarding ladder looks cute but we've never used it.

Norb

I like both... but honestly would love an 04 or 05 ... I found an 06 I absolutely loved, but don't think I can get it down to my price range..... only has 44 hrs on it. She's beee-uuuuu-tee-full! ;)

If you can sell your boat for more than you paid and upgrade, go for it! If it were me though, I'd be looking for a 2330ss, but I boat in big water, so 20' is really the minimum comfortable size! The 204 looks nice. All Chaps are great except maybe some of the entry level boats, so get what you like and enjoy! Just know the bigger the boat you look at, the more features it will have!

Here's what my 2004 204 SSI looked like when I had it. Loved that boat.

IMG_0858.jpg

#%^$&%$ that's gorgeous!!!! Exactly what I'd like. No big water down here in TN ... and really prefer the lake thing... so I'm thinking a 204 would be about perfect and be good for my F150.

You have plenty of truck, frt ladder only good for when boat is beached...to far from water for adults plus anchor line fights with it. Walk thru nice on cooler days when shoes are needed otherwise it stays in on ours. prop for what you like to do and the 5.0 L is plenty.

Little Late, but we love our 204 when we get to use it here in NM. I know kind of silly to buy a boat in the desert but we love it when were on it. The boys use the front ladder a lot when just swimming around the boat. It is a 2008 and only has about 50 hours on it. Notice it has the 5.7L 350 Mag