Denny

Helm & Cable Replacement

5 posts in this topic

After 22yrs. of procrastinating, and 8hrs. later, I finally bit the bullet and replaced my loose steering.

The only problem is, I did it after the winter lay up, so it will be next spring before I can test my work.

Piece of cake, after all the wire ties and wiring were loose from it. I cut off the aft part of the original cable that went into the sleeve of the steering mechanism behind the engine, tapped the helm end of the new cable to it and pulled it through. The time consuming part was taking things apart that were in the way, and then putting them all back together again. I actually really enjoyed doing it, it let me learn a little more about my girl, and not to mention what I saved by not having it done by a marina. And there is no way that they would have gone through the pains to put it back the way that it was. (not pointing fingers) My passed experience has been that Body Men are more meticulous about their work, Mechanics just seem to make it work. The helm and cable comes in a complete kit and cost me $135.00. Denny.

1110141441_zps6568af12.jpg

1110141441a_zpsb6d9138d.jpg

1110141439_zps2b07d666.jpg

1110141440a_zps035a0470.jpg

0909141930a_zps3a0593f3.jpg

Good job, I think the systems on the older boats were built to last longer than some of the modern technology today.

Big Fun

(I think the systems on the older boats were built to last longer than some of the modern technology today.)

Yeah, years ago they turned rotors when they did a brake job. Today you cannot buy good rotors, they don't make them.

In my day it was Japan, now it is China that mass produces the low quality things that we buy, who will it be in the future?

Denny.

I really like EBC brake pads and rotors, but they're not cheap or as easy to get when needed.

Interestingly, I'll gladly take anything made in Japan, but really don't like the junk sourced from China.

Congrats on the steering work; can be a thankless job.

In my day it was Japan, now it is China that mass produces the low quality things that we buy, who will it be in the future?

Made in Japan ... anytime, in China ... not so much, next ... Vietnam.