Hatem

What Cruiser Would You Buy?

Hypothetically, if you had the desire and opportunity to move up into the 40'-50' range of cruisers that you could comfortably sleep 4-6, and you had a budget of oh......let's say.......$400K just to set a limit and keep it somewhat from going nutty, then what would you, personally, chose to buy?

I'm curious because I've been reading a lot of older threads about quite a few previous Chaparral owners wanting to move up in size and class and not being able to stay loyal to this great, Chaparral brand because of it's VERY limited offering in the 40ft range and that being in such low numbers that it's availability in pre-owned units is practically non-existent.

It would be neat to see what some ideas and dreams are out there. :)

I would love a Sundancer in the 40 ft range with twin Cummins QSB's! I would also Consider a Meridian but I think the Sundbridge style is much better for entertaining or lounging on the boat! I'm curious about how top heavy the Command bridge style boat's are compared to a large Sundbridge?

$400 K really limits the choices to a 4 to 9 year old boat that I would choose.

So only Express cruisers for this choice ? No sport coupe or sedan bridge ?

I have a good friend who I took boating many years ago on my 2001 240 on the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay. He liked it so much he bought a 350. But then he moved to Florida and wanted to do the ICW, so he bought a Meridian 341. He's been very happy with it.

I agree with the limited Chap offerings -- I moved to a 2006 276, then to a 2008 290. I used to drool over the Premiere 400 and put spare change in the bucket, hoping for the day to afford one. Then the economy tanked and Chap went in a different direction. I thought they were about to establish a solid footing in that part of the market with the awards and following for that size boat, but timing is everything. Still think they could have done it.

While we're dreaming, I love the Beneteau GT44 and for different reasons maybe I'll buy 2 while I'm at it and get a Meridian 441 too.

One of the old Chris Commander's, They may not be economical, but they have a lot of class, and a Cadillac ride. Denny.

42ChrisCraftCommander_zps58922c18.jpg

Hatem, before contracting Contender-itus that became complicated by mutiplehighhorsepoweroutboardyamaha-itus, I suffered from a slight case of Hatteras Convertible-denial... Most likely that is where I'd drop that magical $400k.

The Admiral would never allow it though, I can't get her to consider overnighting on a houseboat much less staying out in the big water. Anyway, a dream is a dream, right?

JR

I like the Carvers. Really do not know about how they are built quality wise, but I like the way they look.

Richard W,

That's a gorgeous boat! I looked at the fuel capacity and it would cost 7k to fill it with diesel @4.00 per gallon!

There are few / several Riviera's out here on the West Coast! They are absolutely gorgeous with the exception of the price! A 50 ft Coupe style comes in at a sTiCkEr ShOcK price of 2 Million!

Either a second hand Elling E3 or E4, Just right for popping across the channel and going down through the canals in France to the Med....

Since we are finally talking about seaworthy boats like Hatteras, Ocean Alexander, and getting into the 50's,

here is my dream boat ... the Nordhavn 52 ... classic beefy pilothouse passagemaker ... dream on ... :)

open.jpg

Link: http://www.nordhavn.com/models/52/

RIchard,

I had a chance to get onto a Nordhavn 52 Motor Sailor at the boat show this year in Annapolis MD. That is one solid very nice looking boat. It got me looking further into them and I'd love to get into one someday...something in the 52' up to the 64' range would be just fine by me.

Matt

Most of you are way over our $400k budget. You will be looking at a 15 to 20 year old used!!

Agreed, an 8-12 year old Hatteras is where I would start. Speculating that market is still a little soft, add little negotiating, it could happen.

Did we misunderstand the assignment?

JR

That's a gorgeous boat! I looked at the fuel capacity and it would cost 7k to fill it with diesel @4.00 per gallon!

Sounds crazy but this can get you from the East Coast US to France, approx. 3,500 nautical miles at $2 per nautical mile. This is as good as my current 29' Chap at 2.3 MPG (2 NMPG) at 8 MPH (7 knots) ... surprise!

Source: http://www.nordhavn.com/interactive/circumnavigator/web_extras/52/

I do not have enough mobile close friends to climb aboard & fill a + 50'

I do enjoy taking the group to a fine restaurant several times each summer.

Do ALL those cruises NOW. Time waits for no one.

I had to leave Chap line for this reason. I looked hard at a used 40' Premier but wanted a little bigger, beamier, and heavier. The $400K budget can get you a 2007 or 2008 Tiara 4300 Sovran which is a great boat that will come standard with the Volvo IPS. 40 and 44 Sundancer may be worth looking at as well. A 450 Sundancer in the 2010 year should be in the budget too. Used Formula 40 or 45 might get you there.

Once you cruise on a STEAM POWERED cruiser. You will complain to your parents that THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE for you not owning a fully restored steamer.

It is truly a moving house with beautiful wood, Full height rooms, central ac . Heck. Life on the water can be a fine floating restaurant & private bar. Wicker laced & padded chairs with padded Ottoman foot rests. Several Gin & tonics ?

Adjust the speed of the boat so the bow people hear each wave splash gently.

I am a financially deprived adult child. :)

I would love a Sundancer in the 40 ft range with twin Cummins QSB's! I would also Consider a Meridian but I think the Sundbridge style is much better for entertaining or lounging on the boat! I'm curious about how top heavy the Command bridge style boat's are compared to a large Sundbridge?

The Meridians are very nice, indeed, and they're out there in good numbers which helps the overall number as well.

I wouldn't know how top-heavy the bridge style boats are but they look like a lot of fun and I wonder how they ride in heavy seas? I'm only guessing but I would think any boat with a fly bridge has some stability issues in choppy waters.

Hatem,

I agree on the Meridians! I like the 381 but the bridge isn't all that big to have a bunch of people up top with you while enroute to your destination, which brings up the question of stability again. I love that they have that Cummins power option in a boat at that size! I guess the downside of the bridge style boats makes the Sunbridge a desirable option?! A hardtop diesel Sunbridge in the 33-35 foot range would be perfect and in reach!

Prepare your wallet for a sudden loss of $$$$$$ if you move up to the bigger cruisers. I had a 35' Bertram, great boat and those Cat diesels are the real deal, but nothing cheap about the upkeep, fuel and repair parts.