Hatem

What Cruiser Would You Buy?

14 hours ago, jeffk said:

Loved it except the interior.

Sleeping in a v-berth sucks!

Now if they made it with outboards, that interior could get a lot bigger and overnight friendly.

Haha, I know what you mean.  Your head gets squished at the point loool.  Not enough room to roll over and pull the pillow under your arm you end up face-planting the leather backseat. :D Need a square end headboard for the bed.  But one thing for sure, it seems all these brands are trying to catch up to the Formula 430 Super Sport Crossover, that one they're always pulling out in your neck of the woods.  Once that came out, it seems all these other manufacturers are trying their own versions but none of them seem to be coming close to the full package in the Formula.  But credit SeaRay for actually being the first to bring the outboards into these cruisers in the Venture 370 and then later combining the bowriding aspect also.  SR was actually the pioneer in that OB/cruiser concept but they seem to get washed away in all the hoopla of all these other brands.

SR was actually the pioneer in that OB/cruiser concept but they seem to get washed away in all the hoopla of all these other brands.

Actually SR was several months behind the Pursuit SC365i. The 370 Venture was first tested in early 2012, the Pursuit was tested in early 2011.

I actually got a ride in the SC365i in July of 2011, as we are a supplier to S2(Tiara)/Pursuit. Great boat as well.

The Crossover market has been around since the mid 2000's, and Formula was not even a player back then. Formula actually jumped on the band wagon

after boats like the Ebbtide 2600 and Monterey 298SS were introduced. Not OB powered, but the crossover(cruiser/bowrider) has been around for a decade

here in North America. Formula , as usual, has the snazziest version.

While a few yrs ago the "dream cruiser" would have been a Chaparral/Meridian/Carver/SR/Cruisers Yachts in the 31-35ft range  .... our tastes & lifestyle has changed so much - that our Ideal Boat now, would be a Sportfisher/cruiser type like a Boston Whaler 315 Conquest or a Grady White Express 330.

a boat that can handle all our needs (Cruising, Fishing, Diving etc) with the ease of Outboard engines :)

lots of room for dive gear/u/w camera equipment and fishing gear - but still the comforts of a cruiser.

45008542_10156512941925180_7784272871290

We had actually planned on trading the boat in this coming year to a cruiser with outboards.

We decided to keep what we have and are buying a second home overseas instead.

21 hours ago, cj-orca said:

While a few yrs ago the "dream cruiser" would have been a Chaparral/Meridian/Carver/SR/Cruisers Yachts in the 31-35ft range  .... our tastes & lifestyle has changed so much - that our Ideal Boat now, would be a Sportfisher/cruiser type like a Boston Whaler 315 Conquest or a Grady White Express 330.

a boat that can handle all our needs (Cruising, Fishing, Diving etc) with the ease of Outboard engines :)

lots of room for dive gear/u/w camera equipment and fishing gear - but still the comforts of a cruiser.

45008542_10156512941925180_7784272871290

Very nice, but that water looks very cold and eerie!  I can almost see that great white in the background! :D

Speaking of Boston Whalers, I always thought that the greatest NFL coach of all time...who coaches the greatest NFL team of all time...which is QB'd by the greatest quarterback of all time (better known as THE GOAT) owned one of those, but it turned out to be a Grady White.  But they're pretty similar-looking.

Bill-Belichick-Renamed-His-Boat-from-V-R

23 hours ago, Rip5 said:

Actually SR was several months behind the Pursuit SC365i. The 370 Venture was first tested in early 2012, the Pursuit was tested in early 2011.

I actually got a ride in the SC365i in July of 2011, as we are a supplier to S2(Tiara)/Pursuit. Great boat as well.

The Crossover market has been around since the mid 2000's, and Formula was not even a player back then. Formula actually jumped on the band wagon

after boats like the Ebbtide 2600 and Monterey 298SS were introduced. Not OB powered, but the crossover(cruiser/bowrider) has been around for a decade

here in North America. Formula , as usual, has the snazziest version.

I stand corrected, then.  I thought Searay was the first with the Venture, especially the way the outboards are cleverly hidden also.  That whole concept of not just using outboards but having them hidden that way is awesome!  Not having them stick out and looking at them off the back is so much better that I'm surprised that design hasn't caught on more by other manufacturers.  Especially for fishing boats because those things are almost always in the way of lines and casts off the stern.  Unless there's a drawback of some sorts that I'm not aware of.  You can even tilt them out of the water within their compartment.  I think that just great.  

Speaking of Boston Whalers, I always thought that the greatest NFL coach of all time...who coaches the greatest NFL team of all time...which is QB'd by the greatest quarterback of all time (better known as THE GOAT) owned one of those, but it turned out to be a Grady White.  But they're pretty similar-looking.

Oh you're talking about the team that lost two Superbowls to the Giants?

This is sooo cool.  Welcome to the new age of boat designs.

26 minutes ago, Hatem said:

This is sooo cool.  Welcome to the new age of boat designs.

Some definite outside of the box features there.  Very organic shape too.  

1 hour ago, Roady68 said:

Some definite outside of the box features there.  Very organic shape too.  

Indeed!  Love it.  Looking forward to the boat shows this year.  Our Boston shows are pretty good.  They're not as nuts as places like Miami, but certainly big enough to see a lot of the new trends in boat designs, new tech in all fields and almost all major boat manufacturers.  BTW, gonna tag you in a bit on the other thread with a Q about the remote on the Pronautic 1230.

If you like the outboard powered coupe style, the new Four Winns V355FX was just released to the public Wednesday at FLIBS.

Looks nice.

V355FX.jpg

6887524_20181024125442458_1_LARGE.jpg

Nice looking boat...going to ft lauderdale show tomorrow weather permitting

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, Rip5 said:

6887524_20181024125442458_1_LARGE.jpg

All those coupe-styled boats are outstanding and very sexy-looking, but completely ruined by those pair of hideous blobs on the back of the swim platform.  They certainly have their advantages over other propulsion systems with easier access to serviceability and that you can raise them out of the water to prevent marine growth and you free up space that would otherwise be taken by the inboard engine.  But I'd much prefer sterndrives (preferably pods) or inboards with prop shafts over OBs any day.  The only time I might consider outboards is if they're placed the way Searay brilliantly designed them in the 370 Venture where they're completely hidden from view.  Just my preference..  Who the heII wants to look at those ugly blobs on a gorgeous boat like that?!  Ruins it completely.  They even get in the way on all fishing boats that have them, especially when you're casting and catching fish almost exclusively at the stern.

Not sure if there is an advantage to the placement of the props on OBs vs I/Os as the former is placed higher on the transform by default, whereas the latter is seated further below the transom and stern of the boat.  It would be interesting to see if there is any advantage to one over the other. 

Those blobs are what make the boat.

By using outboards, you get better reliability, easier service access and the room it creates is unreal.

I was on the 4 winns, very pretty.

I liked the walk around but you sacrificed cockpit space.

The walkthrough to the deck and the cabin door was extremely narrow.

The Regal was nice too.

The show itself was good.

The scenery other than boats was excellent!

Hey, to each his own and that's perfectly fine of course.  I think they look like crap and ruin the look of the boat.  I realize the benefits and mentioned them already.  I suppose depending on the style, a center console or a runabout of some certain types and only in the 25ft lengths and less.....maybe.  But a beautiful coupe like that one Ripster posted or a Chaparral Signature 310?  No waaay.  Motors by design are meant to be hidden from view.  There is no function over form argument in this at all.  Form trumps that concept by a mile since function is unimpaired in either scenario.   

A friend has a 80' mini yacht. Great crew. All young attractive women with a old male captain.  Love his cruises.

5 hours ago, Hatem said:

Hey, to each his own and that's perfectly fine of course.  I think they look like crap and ruin the look of the boat.  I realize the benefits and mentioned them already.  I suppose depending on the style, a center console or a runabout of some certain types and only in the 25ft lengths and less.....maybe.  But a beautiful coupe like that one Ripster posted or a Chaparral Signature 310?  No waaay.  Motors by design are meant to be hidden from view.  There is no function over form argument in this at all.  Form trumps that concept by a mile since function is unimpaired in either scenario.   

I have to disagree with 'form trumps' I think overall outlay, ease of Maintenance and dependability blow form out of the water every now and then.

I have an old 2750sx w/ twin 5.7's and just changing fluids is a PITA. I'd prefer to have outboards but this is what I have and overall we like it. 

Modern 4 stroke O B have oil changes just like your motor.  Possible rocker arm adjustments.

My old 2 strokes have only lower gear box oil change every few years. Done

The enhancement of the cabin size is unreal.

You could put a king bed in the back room and still have plenty of room.

Hatem you should buy my 310!

I'm torn.  I can see being able to do maintenance is easier.  Not sure how an outboard is more reliable than I/O.  But maybe there are some inherent design advantages.  We had an outboard and winterization was easy.  My dad popped off the OB and stored it on a rack in his shop for the winter.  I understand OBs drain too.  So definitely a good idea for cold climate.  Though I don't think one is going to just pop off one of those 300s or 350s.  They have some heft.  I could go either way, but for now I prefer I/O or inboard with shaft. 

But I can say I really do like the coupe style.  I keep buying lottery tickets so I can purchase the Sea Ray 350 Coupe local dealer has.

14 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

:haha-7383:

Hahaha, Clops.  It's nice that Jeff was thinking of me and his boat is beautiful, for sure.  All-white Sig 310 and has Volvos not those crappy Mercs...doh! :D 

But I'm very happy with the 276, thankfully.  That's why we're doing a bunch of mods on it and sooping it up as much as possible.  Not much smaller either, just around 2' since when they labeled it, they forgot to include the swim platform lol.  Plus bow seating is a big thing for us.  Always have people sitting up there and enjoying the ride myself included.  I had 5 kids up front one day as we went out offshore about 20 miles to do some fishing at a wreck and they had a blast.  Cruising to Boston Harbor and even up to Gloucester and through the Annisquam River, gotta have the bow seating so having a cabin is not a huge priority.  If anything, a hybrid would be the only way to go if we stayed with a boat in the 35 and under size.  The 327/347 styles are very appealing because of the combination of both worlds.  But outboards?  Nah, not this kid.  And if there ever was a jump to be had in the future, it'll probably be in the 40' range and something with a flybridge.

Even on this amazing piece of equipment which is ultimately the ideal boat in every sense of the word, the outboards ruin the look of it to some extent.  But this machine is just the best of the best of all worlds, just way out of whack as far as cost in concerned.  You have a bowrider/coupe/open top/cockpit/swim platform u(nfortunately important rear exposure is ruined by the 4 ugly blobs), full-size cabin/aft berth and all other amenities.  Doesn't get any better than that except the OBs and the ridiculous cost.