Hatem

What Cruiser Would You Buy?

18 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

UUHH where are all the seating spaces ?

Clean your tri-focals......

Wow! Great boat but I'm WAAAAYYYY to busy to do the kind of Maintenance something like that would require and my pockets aren't deep enough to have others do the maintenance for me

17 hours ago, Auggie said:

Wow! Great boat but I'm WAAAAYYYY to busy to do the kind of Maintenance something like that would require and my pockets aren't deep enough to have others do the maintenance for me

I hear that.  Plus I think the boat itself is around $1-$1.2 lmfao.  Although if you try breaking down the cost of production on a boat like that, I think it's pretty high but still, doesn't justify the retail figure. 

Just those crappy quad Mercury Racing Verados with the joystick system have to run somewhere around $200 - $250K alone.  I think those outboards are somewhere in the $50K vicinity a piece.  Add the Merc joystick system and voila.  Just the power package alone is 1/4 the cost of the boat.

Price of 300 to 400  hp Mercruiser with stern drive ? Compared to those 300 hp  OB s ? 

Only long lasting OBs I know are the Hondas. They live  thousands of hours  in Homeland security boats & RIBs in my area

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:39 PM, cyclops2 said:

Price of 300 to 400  hp Mercruiser with stern drive ? Compared to those 300 hp  OB s ? 

Only long lasting OBs I know are the Hondas. They live  thousands of hours  in Homeland security boats & RIBs in my area

Check out this very interesting statistic/analysis for the top 6 outboards.  Tohatsu?  Honda right up there along with the usual suspects.

https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/six-best-outboard-motors

It's interesting how Honda hasn't had nearly the success that Yamaha has had, and certainly not even close to Mercury.  Tough call, but I think even Mercury outboards are more prevalent in boats around the world, more so than Yamaha.  I could be wrong but that's the impression I get from a lot of the photos and videos literature I've seen.  You would think that Yamaha would have the "international advantage" simply because of the Japanese technological invasion through the past 50 years.  But, I think the American made product does hold the title in this particular case.  Inboards might be a tougher call, but perhaps Volvo holds the slighter edge especially with its new pods, certainly with diesels.  I could be wrong.  

15 hours ago, Vol Mark 8657 said:

I would look at Cruiser Yatchs. The wide beam and great fit and finish. Your should be able to find one in that price range

This is the performance video for that black & orange Cruisers Yachts 338 OB.  This thing is a beast.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71NFEqLqttM

6903424_20181115124546943_1_XLARGE.jpg?w

Dimensions

Length: 35'6 ft
Beam: 11'2 ft
Max Draft: 3'6 ft
Min Draft: 2'7 ft
Dry Weight: 16,000 lb
Deadrise: 22 °

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:29 AM, Rip5 said:

6903424_20181115124546943_1_XLARGE.jpg?w

Dimensions

Length: 35'6 ft
Beam: 11'2 ft
Max Draft: 3'6 ft
Min Draft: 2'7 ft
Dry Weight: 16,000 lb
Deadrise: 22 °

Very nice.  built-in hardtop looks really good and you get the best of all worlds with that boat.  Good size, too, right at that 35ft.  I can see you on one of those.

Pretty cool 6 minute time-lapse video of 3 years building the 87 meter LOA Feadship Lonian.  That's what, 260 feet?  lol.  @Curt check out the bow thruster they put in it @ minute 4:06 they used a forklift to lift it into position :lol:.  We were talking about forklifts on that other thread.  Also really interesting how they finish the hull with such massive amounts of fairing compound and gelcoat.  Truly remarkable and this is not even showing any of the interior work. 

Tight fit through some of those bridges/locks.  Wow.  And, for sure that is one big bow thruster. 

Curious what powers that thing, whether it be a fully dedicated generator producing enough power and using less fuel or it just has its own gas or diesel powered engine?

My guess is electric, and powered from the ship’s generator package not a standalone/dedicated unit. That’s a big ship and it probably has a pair of diesel fired turbine power units. They’re not significantly more expensive than traditional diesel reciprocating engine generator packages, but take up much less valuable real estate and the waste heat can be used to make hot water, fresh water, steam, etc. Just a guess. Never seen a ship like that up-close or been on one.

Makes sense.  I would think the Dutch give a lot of consideration for high efficiency and fuel management protocols etc.  But when you build something this gluttonous, hard to believe there's much energy efficiency going on. :haha-7383: I suppose it's all proportionate. 

Speaking of energy efficiency, they're putting masts and sails on some of these things now.  

Powered by 2 diesel engines and propelled by her twin screw propellers Motor yacht Lonian is capable of a top speed of 18.5 knots, and comfortably cruises at knots. She can carry around 160,000 of diesel on-board in her fuel tanks. Her water tanks store around 50,000 of fresh water.

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-53405/lonian.htm

I couldn’t find propulsion or electrical generating equipment specs., but did see that she sleeps 27 crew. Wow. 

I love my 44' Regal. I'd check out their line of boats in the 40-50 range. I'm actually downsizing to a 36-40 footer so I can get around a little faster. 

12 hours ago, captainkiel said:

I love my 44' Regal. I'd check out their line of boats in the 40-50 range. I'm actually downsizing to a 36-40 footer so I can get around a little faster. 

Well the only 40-foot Chaparral is the Premier 400/420 and they stopped making them a few years ago.  Not that many out there.  Now they've stopped making their Signature series with the exception of the 270.  So if you want a new(er) Signature 350, you'll have to look for the any left-over 2018 models or a used, previous year.  Good luck.

16 hours ago, Curt said:

I couldn’t find propulsion or electrical generating equipment specs., but did see that she sleeps 27 crew. Wow. 

2 crew per person, talk about being spoiled.  So many cool processes throughout that whole build but the two that I find really fascinating is how they shrink-wrapped the entire hull and tops before transporting it out of that assembly hangar to the finishing one.  They wrapped every surface of that thing skin tight and built tent-staging around while doing that.  Not sure if they were hiding the process or if it has something to do with containing the heat?  But why would they shrink wrap it for that transport?  To keep moisture off the steel and prevent any rust from developing?  The hull is steel but the top levels and roof caps look to be aluminum but still, they shrink-wrapped those surfaces as well.

And then that fairing compound is fascinating.  Would love to know what that is that they get to adhere to steel and aluminum plates for years and years and is a solid base for the gelcoat.  I would think with that finish gloss and application that it's more than likely to be gelcoat and not paint.

So with this new fad in yacht designs and innovation, adding masts and sails for sail-assisted, hybrid propulsion systems with trans-oceanic capabilities is the creation of such masterpieces (also by the Dutch, I might add) as this beauty.  The Black Pearl, inspired by the Pirates of the Caribbean.

Black-Pearl-on-Sea-Trials.-Photo-Credit-

Black-Pearl-under-sails.-Photo-credit-Ma

I guess saving on fuel would be worth the discomfort of the listing that comes with sailboats?  I don't know, but when you think of luxury in the hundreds of millions of $, not sure that would be very desirable.

BLACK-PEARL-yacht--13.jpg?image_id=58073

Then there's this thing, Sailing Yacht A.

screen%20shot%202017-02-21%20at%20103337

38495631_1832001286893052_42353060341402

Zem2APy1RjuhOOqQ5dGv_Sailing-Yacht-A-wit

lol.