Jump to content
Hatem

What Cruiser Would You Buy?

Recommended Posts

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:03 PM, Phillbo said:

These are popping up on Lake Powell....  Fast and functional but fugly as all heck:

 

https://www.lakepowell.com/houseboating/luxury-houseboats/65-ft-axiom-star-houseboat/

Man, you weren't kidding!  They are butt-fugly but you know what, they're perfect party boats.  That interior is amazing!  Literally a floating mancave/house.  Perfect for that lake and any other big lakes with many spots to take a couple of families and all the kids and have a blast on one of those.  I bet they would be just as much fun on the ocean as well.

axiom-star-yacht_exterior_3_1000x667.jpg

This interior is crazy! lol.  Litterrally a living room with a steering wheel in the corner lmao.

axiom-star-yacht_livingroom_1_1000x667.jpg

This would actually be the perfect charter boat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Exoset said:

My next target would probably be the Sea Ray 350 Sundancer for a couple of reasons :

- One of the rare 35 ft cruiser with a standalone / separate shower

- The wet bar at the rear with the electric grill is a #%^$&%$ good idea

- AFT cabin can be a queen or 2 single beds

- Smart way to fit the TV in a like-home TV stand

- Double adjustable bow cushions

- Massive arch with electrical sunroof

 

A Regal 33 Express would be my next choice I suppose.

I saw the Sundancer 320 last weekend at a show.  Love the side walk thru to the open bow seating.  Much better than the sunpad on the closed bow, much more useful for how and where we would use it, and still had over 6' headroom in the cabin.  $350k

Although that transom wet bar/grill is pretty money, I would really miss rear facing seating there while on the hook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$ 350,000 For about 300 square feet of room ?  Pass.   I would pick the floating buffet table.   Conversation groups galore.

Our museum has a very old large wood cruiser. Seating areas.  6  in the isolated bow. 9 in the hardtop enclosed kitchen table area.  4 seated & 6 standing easily in drivers area.  9 seated with 2 standing in the stern deck area. Buried inboard engines & shafts. Fantastic cruise boat for 4 hours. Then we go to a restaurant for dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Exoset said:

My next target would probably be the Sea Ray 350 Sundancer for a couple of reasons :

- One of the rare 35 ft cruiser with a standalone / separate shower

- The wet bar at the rear with the electric grill is a #%^$&%$ good idea

- AFT cabin can be a queen or 2 single beds

- Smart way to fit the TV in a like-home TV stand

- Double adjustable bow cushions

- Massive arch with electrical sunroof

 

A Regal 33 Express would be my next choice I suppose.

I'd do the coupe version of the Sundancer 350 (I think I mentioned that earlier).  The 320 is nice with the bow rider, but that feature eats into the cabin a lot.  We tend to sleep a few nights more than entertain a bunch of people, so the 350 is perfect.  With the helm seat that rotates to face the cockpit, just icing on the cake.  There is a 350 coupe locally brand new.  Sticker is over 400k deer.  Can probably get it out the door for about 80% of that.  But that is still more than our house.  So probably not happening anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Roady68 said:

I'd do the coupe version of the Sundancer 350 (I think I mentioned that earlier).  The 320 is nice with the bow rider, but that feature eats into the cabin a lot.  We tend to sleep a few nights more than entertain a bunch of people, so the 350 is perfect.  With the helm seat that rotates to face the cockpit, just icing on the cake.  There is a 350 coupe locally brand new.  Sticker is over 400k deer.  Can probably get it out the door for about 80% of that.  But that is still more than our house.  So probably not happening anytime soon.

The MSRP on a 350 coupe with just a couple basic options is north of $500k so that $400k you see is probably closer to reality than you think... crazy isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:55 PM, Exoset said:

My next target would probably be the Sea Ray 350 Sundancer for a couple of reasons :

- One of the rare 35 ft cruiser with a standalone / separate shower

- The wet bar at the rear with the electric grill is a #%^$&%$ good idea

- AFT cabin can be a queen or 2 single beds

- Smart way to fit the TV in a like-home TV stand

- Double adjustable bow cushions

- Massive arch with electrical sunroof

 

A Regal 33 Express would be my next choice I suppose.

I see what you mean about the stand-alone shower.  Don't have to worry about putting down that humongous cover over the toilet and have all that water come off your body splash the entire head.  "My" Azimut 48 has 2 private showers. :D 

I also see what you mean about the galley salon layout with the couch and recliner all on one side and TV on the opposite wall.  That, along with the main and aft berth are layed out just perfectly.  That's the way all boats should be designed. 

I see that and I think of the only disadvantage that the Chaparral Signature 330 has to this Sea Ray is how they didn't have enough room for the main, forward berth and the salon seating area where they had to create an automated folding end to the bed to lift it up and out when using the seating area and then drop it down when using the bed.  That's too bad and perhaps that additional 2 feet in the LOA between the Sea Ray and the Chaparral caused that problem from Chap.

22 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

$ 350,000 For about 300 square feet of room ?  Pass.   I would pick the floating buffet table.  

:haha-7383:  Believe it or not, compared to other cruisers and what they offer for that kind of money, this is a lot more bang for the buck.

19 hours ago, Roady68 said:

I'd do the coupe version of the Sundancer 350 (I think I mentioned that earlier).  The 320 is nice with the bow rider, but that feature eats into the cabin a lot.  We tend to sleep a few nights more than entertain a bunch of people, so the 350 is perfect.  With the helm seat that rotates to face the cockpit, just icing on the cake.  There is a 350 coupe locally brand new.  Sticker is over 400k deer.  Can probably get it out the door for about 80% of that.  But that is still more than our house.  So probably not happening anytime soon.

I think that boat is waiting there for you, ma bro.  :) There's 2 of them in our marina and man, are they gorgeous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cruiser is strictly for a daytime cruise with  Buffet covering lunch & dinner.  Refrigerator for the personal BYO wines.  Finger food.  L I G    :)

We do a lot of eat, drink and talking...……...But after 3 or 4 hours the chatter level drops down. Head for the dock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 9:00 AM, Hatem said:

Man, you weren't kidding!  They are butt-fugly but you know what, they're perfect party boats.  That interior is amazing!  Literally a floating mancave/house.  Perfect for that lake and any other big lakes with many spots to take a couple of families and all the kids and have a blast on one of those.  I bet they would be just as much fun on the ocean as well.

axiom-star-yacht_exterior_3_1000x667.jpg

This interior is crazy! lol.  Litterrally a living room with a steering wheel in the corner lmao.

axiom-star-yacht_livingroom_1_1000x667.jpg

This would actually be the perfect charter boat.

 

Not bad, except for the 2,000 deer deposit. Denny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:49 PM, Denny said:

Not bad, except for the 2,000 deer deposit. Denny.

Deposit for what?  I missed that part.

BTW, check out this masterpiece!  Love the shape and angle of the windshield on the flybridgel  All the lines are exquisitely designed, it's just the perfect boat!  The only thing that sucks is the barstool they took and made a radar perch out of it lmfao. A nicely shaped, aft-facing angled mast made of fieberglass and white gelcoat would've been MUCH better than that.  Perfect length at 45ft.

x6XhfH9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree.   That bar stool is definitely a penny pinching D I Y job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hatem said:

Deposit for what?  I missed that part.

BTW, check out this masterpiece!  Love the shape and angle of the windshield on the flybridgel  All the lines are exquisitely designed, it's just the perfect boat!  The only thing that sucks is the barstool they took and made a radar perch out of it lmfao. A nicely shaped, aft-facing angled mast made of fieberglass and white gelcoat would've been MUCH better than that.  Perfect length at 45ft.

x6XhfH9.jpg

A refundable damage deposit is due at 45 days prior to arrival. The deposit will be refunded upon return of the boat with no damage. 

Boat Damage Deposit: $2,000

2019 Rental Rates

5-Day

6-Day

7-Day

January 1 - June 5, 2019 $4,579 $5,589 $5,589
June 6 - August 18, 2019 $7,879 $9,499 $9,499
August 19 - December 31, 2019 $4,579 $5,589 $5,589
*Rates are exclusive of taxes and fees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sunpads on the bow of that 350 dose not look comfortable or make sense.....The hatch is in the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soryry but I have always found the Azimuts to be mut ugly....Not a fan. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:24 PM, Phillbo said:

Soryry but I have always found the Azimuts to be mut ugly....Not a fan. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Bull@#$%@#!  You love them and you know it!

Look at all ths fugly boat LMFAO Paleeeeeaseah. 

See the source image

Oh yeah, and the duckbill bow is stupendous!

See the source image

Look at the impeccable lines on this thing!  There's not a single flybridge out there that even comes close to the beauty of this design and the entire Azimut line.  Maybe the Sea Ray L650 has a enough to barely keep up.  This is without even getting into the exquisite deigns and interior finishes and ergonomics of these classic, Italian beauty.

azimut-azimut_54_flybridge-full.jpg

Even the 43 has a parrarell for your boarding safety and ease.  And look how thick the fiberglass is on the flybridge frame as well as the rest of the boat.  Solid as a rock.

See the source image

maxresdefault.jpg

The ultimate.

See the source image

lol.

101_20170914171611_03.jpg

5848855_20170222115611380_1_XLARGE.jpg&w=2880&h=2160&t=1487764606000

We I eventually get mine (lol...) we're leaving Boston Harbor with a couple of local Chaparral owners from here if they can behave themselves ( @Denny& @Curt would have to meet us here) and head down to New Jersey to pick up Clopadopadus and his lovely missus (they can have the master berth since they'll be the guest of honor), Before that I think we need to make a stop somewhere north of NJ to pic up @SST then proceed to Maryland and pick up @Wingnut  if he's capable of letting bygones be bygones and @Monkeysea if he wants to tag along as well as @OCMDO and even @Billabilhours if he's sill around and any other Marylanders who wish to tag along and head on down straight to Miami to meet up with our Florida Chaparral crew down there for a blast.  This is how we roll it in our house!  I might even let a few of youz drive it. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Hatem said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Bull@#$%@#!  You love them and you know it!

Look at all ths fugly boat LMFAO Paleeeeeaseah. 

See the source image

Oh yeah, and the duckbill bow is stupendous!

See the source image

Look at the impeccable lines on this thing!  There's not a single flybridge out there that even comes close to the beauty of this design and the entire Azimut line.  Maybe the Sea Ray L650 has a enough to barely keep up.  This is without even getting into the exquisite deigns and interior finishes and ergonomics of these classic, Italian beauty.

azimut-azimut_54_flybridge-full.jpg

Even the 43 has a parrarell for your boarding safety and ease.  And look how thick the fiberglass is on the flybridge frame as well as the rest of the boat.  Solid as a rock.

See the source image

maxresdefault.jpg

The ultimate.

See the source image

lol.

101_20170914171611_03.jpg

5848855_20170222115611380_1_XLARGE.jpg&w=2880&h=2160&t=1487764606000

We I eventually get mine (lol...) we're leaving Boston Harbor with a couple of local Chaparral owners from here if they can behave themselves ( @Denny& @Curt would have to meet us here) and head down to New Jersey to pick up Clopadopadus and his lovely missus (they can have the master berth since they'll be the guest of honor), then proceed to Maryland and pick up @Wingnut  if he's capable of letting bygones be bygones and @Monkeysea if he wants to tag along as well as @OCMDO and even @Billabilhours if he's sill around and any other Marylanders who wish to tag along and head on down straight to Miami to meet up with our Florida Chaparral crew down there for a blast.  This is how we roll it in our house!  I might even let a few of youz drive it. :D 

I like them too.  Couple critiques though,  window on the side is awesome but ruins the flow.  Also everything on top fly bridge etc think needs to be dropped some in height maybe 4-5in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Having someone on the bow while on plane will get you a  very expensive ticket around here. 

Man, you could look the wrong way at that lake of yours and get a gaddamm bloody ticket!  Who the heII wants to be around that kinda @#$%@#.

BTW, @soldier4402, a friend of mine just replaced his older Yamaha 300 because of a very common issue with them and that is a midsection exhaust corrosion.  He replaced it with a Suzuki 300 and guess what he paid for that outboard (including installation)?  $23,300!!!!  How nuts is that?  We could get a brand new Volvo Penta 380 with an Ocean X outdrive for just about the same money, maybe a couple grand more ($25K).  Crazy.

20 hours ago, soldier4402 said:

I like them too.  Couple critiques though,  window on the side is awesome but ruins the flow.  Also everything on top fly bridge etc think needs to be dropped some in height maybe 4-5in

My wife and I were seriously discussing selling everything we own, house, cars except maybe the F-450 lol (I'm way too attached to that plus we need a land transport) and cashing in everything in our possession and buy one of those, move to Florida and retire and live in it.  She's actually into the idea which surprised me very much since she's not the roughing it out type, quite the opposite.  I'd be up for it in a heartbeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hatem said:

My wife and I were seriously discussing selling everything we own, house, cars except maybe the F-450 lol (I'm way too attached to that plus we need a land transport) and cashing in everything in our possession and buy one of those, move to Florida and retire and live in it.  She's actually into the idea which surprised me very much since she's not the roughing it out type, quite the opposite.  I'd be up for it in a heartbeat.

That would be epic!  Sell the F450 and just Uber when you need land transport.  LOL.  But that's a whole other thread over on Dock Talk (put the Uber drivers to work who aren't bagging groceries)! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join a local boating group  / club / Yacht club.  Someone will do a short haul if needed.  several of us belong to similar boat groups. We do a freebee Or accept a lunch or dinner If offered.

My storage place does 2 mile launch & retrieves free .    I am NOT a born local.  He is just that type of person. I steer anyone who asks for a good storage place,  cover / upholstery work to him.  More good luck in my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:35 AM, Rip5 said:

large_2034668.jpg

You never answered me what that was?

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:49 PM, Denny said:

A refundable damage deposit is due at 45 days prior to arrival. The deposit will be refunded upon return of the boat with no damage. 

Boat Damage Deposit: $2,000

2019 Rental Rates

5-Day

6-Day

7-Day

January 1 - June 5, 2019 $4,579 $5,589 $5,589
June 6 - August 18, 2019 $7,879 $9,499 $9,499
August 19 - December 31, 2019 $4,579 $5,589 $5,589
*Rates are exclusive of taxes and fees.

Those rates aren't actually too too bad, Denny, to be perfectly honest with you.  That Azimut 45 with the light gray hull and the barstool mast for the radar was the one I was talking about on the other thread with JeffK in Miami that we were going to rent for the day and maybe for the weekend.  The owner (older Cuban fella and really nice guy) said I could even pull it out of the dock myself and drive a lot of the trip itself.  I was like in 7th heaven lmfao!  But then he said it was $2,500 for the day which was 6 hours and $5,500 for the weekend which meant we couldn't anchor somewhere and spend the night but had to head back to port.  It was my wife, my son, his girlfriend, my brother and his wife and both his kids and their girl/boyfriends but my bro thought it was too much $.  I should've said @#$^#^ it and paid for the whole thing myself because getting to bang that thing off of all the other boats there and cruising with it around Miami would've been a blast and a half.  Next time for sure.

I was interested in a 2011 in Rhode Island for under $400K and had a ride scheduled but never followed through with it because even at that great discounted rate, it was way too much and the maintenance is like that of a B-52 bomber!

21 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

That would be epic!  Sell the F450 and just Uber when you need land transport.  LOL.  But that's a whole other thread over on Dock Talk (put the Uber drivers to work who aren't bagging groceries)! :D

I was surprised at the lovely missus' willing to do that.  She just wants to get out of the Northeast and head to Florida.  She's had it with the long and tough, cold winters that she's almost ready to do anything.  I, however, didn't work for almost 40 years to establish a business and just give it up and everything else we've worked so hard at to build together end up living in a nice boat without a house, no matter how nice a boat it is!  You know, a charter with one of these luxurious boats might be a great way to bring in some serious $$$.  I now the fishing charters in Florida and a booming business, especially yellowfin tuna and shark.  Even diving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is never to late to do it together.   :wub:

Just plan a loose exit plan if it is ever needed.    

Do realize you may have to run the boat up a river to escape a severe storm surge. that will destroy your house boat.. You must have a dedicated up river dock strong enough & well padded to keep the boat & you safe in a hurricane...…. That would be my only requirement to the move...……….. OR    a off shore 8,000 to 10,000 pound mooring block of concrete SET INTO the bottom.  LONG Nylon lines  to prevent ripping out the boat line eye. A long length of HEAVY chain attached to the Mooring block is a VERY VERY EFFECTIVE cushion to prevent any waves from causing intense yanking on the line attachment to the boat. a 500 pound chain will doo nicely.  Only VERY SMOOTH finished S S fittings are to be used at either end of the mooring line.

Check & cut off BOTH ends of the mooring line after a major storm.  That prevents a break off in later storms...… Cheap insurance

I would do It if much younger.   Without the wife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

You never answered me what that was?

Did not realize I had to.

 

Marquis 50. Made in USA . Been on this boat several times. Would buy a Marquis over an Azi-Dog anyday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Those rates aren't actually too too bad, Denny, to.

Which boat were the prices for rental?  A ten day barefoot cruise in the BVI on a 51’ power catamaran is $16,000. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×