Hatem

What Cruiser Would You Buy?

Yes, definitely take some pictures. :D

One of the crazy and unimaginable flaws in that video you posted of that Azimut is where they pinned a sticker for the straps location and how it lines up with the prop shafts!?!? That's just absolutely insane and as a matter of fact, I saw a video of a 48 Azimut (I think that's what it was or maybe a 52 or something) where they were lifting it off a transport rig for delivery somewhere in South America and they positioned the rear strap further in towards the center of the boat where the shafts enter the hull so they'd miss them. Luckily they knew about that and took the proper precautions. For a manufacturer of that caliber, it's unfathomable that they would make such a huge error with such an important and super expensive element of the boat. Honestly, the discharge hoses going up in some locations doesn't seem like that huge of a deal to me, TBH, those are some silly mistakes that I think you'd find with many manufacturers, but the strap location markers, that's just plain outright a MAJOR MISTAKE because of the potential damage. Absolutely crazy.

Good stuff, thanks for the link, Captain.

Since we are finally talking about seaworthy boats like Hatteras, Ocean Alexander, and getting into the 50's,

here is my dream boat ... the Nordhavn 52 ... classic beefy pilothouse passagemaker ... dream on ... :)

open.jpg

Link: http://www.nordhavn.com/models/52/

Have you seen this vid? It's 18 minutes long and the lady's voice is wicked annoying lol but it's pretty good. They're in a 72' Nordhavn and doing the coastal US trip from Palm Beach FLA to Rhode Island. Pretty neat as she talks about the Gulf Stream helping them in their speed and probably fuel burn and the fear of Cape Hatteras and a bunch of other stuff. Interesting to me is the stability of these pilothouse boats compared to planing hulls even in boats of this size.

Yeah, not crazy about that style boat but they definitely seem to be much more stable in heavy seas than the sleeker, planing hulls of conventional yachts.

There is a bigger than 1200 IPS in test phase right now. Probably not released to production until late 2015 or early 2016.

Still drooling over a 415Sy.........

10687438_716183065135824_471757175157053

So that's the one that will do it for you, Rip? It's very nice and probably very doable for the allotted budget. I think you can get a used one of these or similar for even under $300K.

It's similar looking to the newer Formula 40PC and bigger, minus the hideous pulpit extension for the anchor.

Under your original question for a cruiser similar to the 400/420 Premiere, yes, a 400/415SY Monterey would do it for me.

But, I had my fun with cruiser's already, and won't go back to one again. Much simpler all around with a trailerable boat.

What did you have for a cruiser?

That's another thing to consider - once you're in that LOA area, you have many other things to consider which require the boat the be maintained by a marina which includes a slip, whatever other marina fees associated with that, hauling fees and storage fees. Probably others I'm not remembering but there is a huge, cost factor to consider once you have to keep it in the water all the time and can't pull it out yourself.

Rip5,

The first 2 were comparisons for Hatem and the Azimut Yacht he mentioned since they are similar pricing.

Tiara holds their resale extremely well.

Happy New Year, Captain! Thought of you last weekend while walking marinas with the lovely misses in the beautiful Miami weather of 82 degrees between Christmas and New Years LOL! Certainly a strange sensation being from New England and current, local temperature at that time was roughly 23....+/-. At any rate, this was the only one I saw during the 2 weeks we were down there (and we saw and I took A LOT of pics that I'll post) but like I said, it reminded me of you and so I snapped some shots and maybe you can identify the model? It was a good size but I couldn't get a very good, overall angle shot.

IMG_2441_zpsdf75ec97.jpg

IMG_2440_zps744bc250.jpg

IMG_2439_zps783f7d26.jpg

Not sure if this is his boat or just a boat with the name Usher on it lol. Regardless, very nice yacht.

IMG_2437_zps61bd974a.jpg

IMG_2438_zps45248594.jpg

The most important option on any boat ? Bow & stern side thrusting........ Completely installable on any boat Even the larger runabouts & bowriders.

Went out on a Hacker BIG runabout woody. It was & is a fantastic headon into waves boat. We were doing 30 mph And a cruiser wake of about 1.5 ' higher than the bow approached us. The captain said " HANG ON. "

Well We put a hole in the wave & some wave crest foam wet the wind shield. But there was ABSOLUTLY NO IMPACT or jar any anytime.

We are finished driving around & it is time to dock with a moderate breese blowing us away from the dock. & close tries. Finally me & another guy get up & lasso the cleats.

Done

Some boats with a single TINY rudder. Are complete dog crap to dock. ALL true REPRODUCTION boats from the Hacker / Garwood design era...........Are total docking crap.

The boats ARE VERY LIGHT... no keel... tiny rudder. I convinced the museum to make the rudder on the 48' " Pardon Me " HUGE, to get steering in reverse. It has a WW II PTB engine in it. HUGE PROP to use the torque. I asked for a Spade type to be built. It was done.

I can pull it in & out easier than my 186 SSI

I just rambled. Again

Some nice boats at the MarineMax in Miami. Couple of Azimut 54's and Meridians and a lot of Sea Rays.

IMG_2387_zps92efea88.jpg

IMG_2389_zps072d3d8c.jpg

IMG_2383_zps258ff4e8.jpg

The most important option on any boat ? Bow & stern side thrusting........ Completely installable on any boat Even the larger runabouts & bowriders.

Went out on a Hacker BIG runabout woody. It was & is a fantastic headon into waves boat. We were doing 30 mph And a cruiser wake of about 1.5 ' higher than the bow approached us. The captain said " HANG ON. "

Well We put a hole in the wave & some wave crest foam wet the wind shield. But there was ABSOLUTLY NO IMPACT or jar any anytime.

We are finished driving around & it is time to dock with a moderate breese blowing us away from the dock. & close tries. Finally me & another guy get up & lasso the cleats.

Done

Some boats with a single TINY rudder. Are complete dog crap to dock. ALL true REPRODUCTION boats from the Hacker / Garwood design era...........Are total docking crap.

The boats ARE VERY LIGHT... no keel... tiny rudder. I convinced the museum to make the rudder on the 48' " Pardon Me " HUGE, to get steering in reverse. It has a WW II PTB engine in it. HUGE PROP to use the torque. I asked for a Spade type to be built. It was done.

I can pull it in & out easier than my 186 SSI

I just rambled. Again

Love your ramblings, Cyc. Don't ever stop.

Speaking of lassoing the cleats, I was impressed at the way this yacht rental crew tied up this 80' Azi right on Indian Creek Lane. They took the time to put a Flemish coil off the cleat lines. :D

IMG_2453_zpsdc04b053.jpg

IMG_2455_zps436b288b.jpg

IMG_2456_zps73e8bb3c.jpg

IMG_2452_zps4e1a6d2f.jpg

But then I see this huge boat and this is how the line was hooked to the cleat?!

IMG_2461_zps0229d722.jpg

IMG_2460_zps1fd61d5f.jpg

But I do like the leather rub protectors they had on their fenders.

IMG_2462_zpsdedc4020.jpg

I really like the those chaffing pads.

Looking at that size & larger boat. I can understand why some people resort to crime.

I really like the those chaffing pads.

Looking at that size & larger boat. I can understand why some people resort to crime.

LOL! Indeed! :D Those were some beautiful boats my head was on a swivel lol. "Chaffing pads", now I know the correct term. :)

A lot of boats just cruising up and down the coast about a mile or so from shore.

IMG_2575_zps6c0b66ae.jpg

IMG_2578_zpsa8051d04.jpg

IMG_2581_zps9dbb80e4.jpg

IMG_2712_zps523179b1.jpg

One of the inlets at Key Biscayne saw a lot of very cool boats come in and out.

Many 40ft Azi flybriges and it's a very nice boat.

IMG_2721_zpse3187a4d.jpg

IMG_2722_zps3923f7e4.jpg

IMG_2723_zpscb709d4d.jpg

Can anyone identify this boat? I thought it was a Princess but wasn't sure. One thing I did notice between it and many of the other flybridges including the Azimuts and the Meridians even the Sea Rays is that it was very level while cruising with hardly any bow rise and didn't have that common, stern heavy attitude. Notice the difference in this boat compared to the other flybirdges in the pics which are much more stern heavy and sink at the transom with a high bow rise while underway. Any idea what the cause of that is besides weight, torque? Is this a much more superior design? Fabulous boat.

IMG_2725_zps4b0d3e5e.jpg

IMG_2726_zps4f7d8e27.jpg

IMG_2727_zps9ae0b24b.jpg