Duane2135

Earth quakes in Texas

13 posts in this topic

I've lived in Texas for all my 49 years. Last night was the first earthquake that I've ever felt here in Texas. My 2nd one to experience ever. The news has been reporting earthquakes nearby in azle, NW of Fort Worth and in Irving (former home of Dallas Cowboys), and some North of Dallas in Frisco. I'm in Mansfield, SSE of Fort Worth. If this keeps up might as well move to Califonia, at least they don't have Tornados!

I've always said I'd rather take my chances with a tornado than deal with earthquakes. I can hide from a tornado, and they are usually selective in what they hit, for example my nighbors roof was removed by one years ago, but no damage to our house. Earthquakes seem to affect much greater numbers of a given population.

That was not an earthquake. It was my Eagles having Cow for Thanksgiving dinner. Really good, as it went down so easy.

Lol, I don't want to go there. Funny thing is the news didn't even cover the 1 earthquake I felt. Maybe it's no longer news worthy?

Duane,

Are you sure that it was an earthquake? Perhaps you partied a little too much over the holiday? Some people are blaming these on Fracking!

As for fear of Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Hurricanes, tsunamis, Blizzards, floods, mudslides, wild fires etc. Where do you suggest we go in order to avoid these perils?

I'm fine with tornados, born in Texas and have lived here since, and an accusimized to them. But ground shaking is new to us Texans.

Ground shaking lol. Love Texas! Everything is triple the size and that's one state that seemed not to be too affected by the economic downturn. At least it seemed that way in Houston and surrounding suburbs.

A few years ago there was a small earthquake in New Hampshire and we felt it down this way some 200+ miles or so away. It was nuts. The house rumbled, so to speak and was actually quite frightening. Then there was a gas explosion at the other end of our town also a few years ago and I remember it happening around 2am and it sent me flying vertically out of the bed. I thought our house had blown up. It felt like the furnace had exploded in the basement and I ran down there first thing and everything was ok and couldn't figure out what the heck had happened. Once we found out, I was amazed at how prominent the blast was which was about 3 or 4 miles away from our house.

The economy did slow down here, all residential building came to a screeching halt for at least 3 years. It only started to tricke back in 2012. However it's been stronger every year. I'm not sure we are back to the same pace as we were pre 2008, but it's got to be getting close.

Our in un-employment was in better shape than most other states, but many were under-employed. What saved us was newly found Natural Gas shelves at about the same time. It brought the roughnecks back and the industries that support them.. Made a coupe of friends of mine wealthy. It's like they hit the lottery, it just keeps paying.

Speaking of BOOMS. the town of West, TX is about 60-70 miles South of me. When their fertilizer plant blew up, it sounded like a distant thunder.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/photos/west-texas-fertilizer-plant-explodes-18984514

I saw that on the news it was mind boggling the explosion that happened. The video went viral of that fella that stopped with his kids and started filming it seconds before it went BAM was probably one of the most timed captures I've ever seen! Poor kids but they ended up being ok. Forward to .29

The economy did slow down here, all residential building came to a screeching halt for at least 3 years. It only started to tricke back in 2012. However it's been stronger every year. I'm not sure we are back to the same pace as we were pre 2008, but it's got to be getting close.

Yep, we bought a house in a Houston Suburb in February 2007. Then moved to Dallas in mid-2009. Sell the house? Yeah, right. Market dropped so low we couldn't afford to sell it and nobody wanted to pay the price we were asking. So here we are in 2014 and I've got a nice little rental property whose value is now higher than the day we bought it. The market rebounded quite well.

I saw that on the news it was mind boggling the explosion that happened. The video went viral of that fella that stopped with his kids and started filming it seconds before it went BAM was probably one of the most timed captures I've ever seen! Poor kids but they ended up being ok. Forward to .29

Wow. I remember this well, but never saw that video. Hard to watch. Glad the little girl is okay.

Know a married couple that live in West, TX. and she works as a "remote" on my Team. She was sitting on her couch with her husband, watching TV. All of a sudden, every window shattered, every door blew in off it's frame and they both were thrown to the floor. Shocked and dazed, they slowly got up, looked at the blood dripping off each other's body and get this - they each said "What the f*ck was that" in unison. Fast forward - they are both fine & healthy, much luckier than most from West but took FOREVER for the insurance, remodeling etc. but glad to say they are back to normal. They did say the volunteers were amazing with food, water and support that came in from all over......You never know what's gonna happen so kiss the wife & kids, pet the dog and go for a boat ride!!!!!!