lovetowrenchit

What persauaded you purchase your Chaparral brand boat

I'll start off...sorry, should have been "Persuaded"

I purchased my 1993 180SL(sig pic) because I had heard good things about the brand. The condition on the 93 was almost mint, except for the cracked block, and some cracking of the vinyl.

I also wanted something that my wife would enjoy being in while on a lake ( she never has been in a boat on a lake before), and she seems to like the boat a lot, but may not like being on the water, we'll have to wait and see. I hope one day we'll get to ride in her. The Chap is a project at the moment.

The price was right! I sold a 4x4 ATV (that I got for free, because no one could fix it, but I did :) ) for $1,200.00 and purchased the boat for $1,250.00 if I remember correctly

I also have to admit, that I really only know about the brand through some friends, and the internet. I have never owned a Chap before. I have owned other brands before, but nothing as nice as this 93.

I have owned four Chaparral's over 20+ years. I like the styling, quality, and most important my dealer, Huggins, in Albany GA. My current 2005 220SSi just finished its 10th season, and it looks and runs like new.

brick

Bought 4 Sea Rays new since 1977, and went out to buy my 5th until I took the time to really look at them. Connie Ray would not be proud. Looked at Cobalt, Formula, and settled on my Chap. Never looked back. Getting ready to upgrade, but I fear Chap will not be building what I'm looking for.

W

thanks for sharing...

I must say that I like the look of mine, however wish the hull had more color. I do plan on tinting the window at some point, to give it a more sporty look.

I feel like this is a heavy well constructed boat. I noticed the weight when I pulled it 125 miles home after purchase, and it maybe a bit too heavy for the Mercruiser 140.

I believe that the trailer is original the the boat, and of heavy duty, and good quality, not sure of the brand name, or even how it tilts, well it looks like it is a tilt trailer

No one convinced me. My dad had an 89' 2100sx when I was younger and I fell in love with that boat. Also, my great aunt had a 1830ss. So, after buying a Regal rotten lemon, I decided that I would only buy a Chap due to the quality of materials (wood) and workmanship (glassing of stringers). I also love the high quality vinyl, carpet, and deep/heavy hulls.

My first was a 2008 204 ssi. Really liked the boat a lot, but wanted a cruiser. Went through a 240 signature and now a 300 signature. They tend to be cheaper than Sea Ray's, Formula's, and I really like the styling much better. All have handled rough water well and I just think they are the only way to go in express cruisers (and bow riders too!)

Buddy of mine bought this boat new...I've had boats all my life, and I really liked the design and layout of this boat. Family of four, two boys age 4 and 2, it's a perfect fit for our mission.

Asked him to let me know when he wants to sell it...infact, when I remodeled the yard, I built this space big enough for it!! :)

My girl was 7 years old when I first met her. I had been out of boating for 25 years. My boat before my 85 235 XLC was a 15 ft 1968 Mark Twain. Not seeing her and not knowing anything about her or what she looked like and talking to the salesman over the phone, he said that she looked like a miniature Miami Vice boat. Cool I liked that show and the boats on it. In fact that show influenced me to adding the arch. I called other dealers that did not sell Chaparrals to get their opinions, and they said that they were not the Cadillac of boats, however they were very will built. She had been pampered with 180 hrs on her. And to day still has her original interior. Next June is our 23 year anniversary. Denny.

test076_zpscdec8e73.jpg

test017_zpsc71401a5.jpg

test066_zps77ec00a3.jpg

test069_zps653710d1.jpg

I went to go get a trial prop for my Bayliner, came home with a Chaparral 220ssi. Really liked the layout, power combo and overall look, and the price was right so I bought it fingers crossed that it would be a better boat than the Bayliner. As luck would have it, the ride quality, rigidity, efficiency and comfort all outpaced my expectations, so when we moved up to a cruiser, Chappy was our first choice. We looked at others, but the experience with the 220 weighed heavily in Chaparral's favor... When we move to 330 or 350 in a few years, sadly, we may be forced to look in other directions. The options are limited above 330.

good stories, thanks for sharing:) some nice looking Chaps!

seems like this brand is limited in some categories for some folks, is it because of options, size, price, performance ect? I don't understand

Size. Nothing much after 40' except 1 model that's pretty pricey for what it offers and its LOA and also discontinued which not only makes its parts difficult to get but limits its availability as a used boat purchase option.

I went to the dealer not knowing anything about boats and told the salesman I'd like to buy a boat where I can seat as many people in it comfortably and he was standing right next to a brand new, black, 277 SSX. Knew nothing about Chaparral only about Sea Rays and Formulas and that's it but I got into it and I was blown away. Went back home and told the boss and she said let's look for a used one that's relatively new to save some $ for our first boat that we're going to learn on (she's obviously got more brains than I do knowing about depreciation and the risk of being new to boating and what damage that could be done to a boat so why pay top dollar for something that could possibly be trashed) and that's when I found our 276ssx for sale online.

Never looked back and I like this boat for our daily putter so when we move up we'll most certainly keep this one just for ease of usage and flexibility. Good brand.

I originally was looking for a 20' - 21' sportboat and liked the look of the Regals. Was down in Orlando and toured the factory (very cool).

Was watching Boat Trader like a hawk when I saw an ad in Craigslist for my '08 220 ssi over in Grand Rapids. Drove over the day after she hit Craigslist and saw she was virtually new with only 28 hours. Spent the rest of the day researching the brand then made an offer which was accepted.

I've had the boat on SE Michigan inland lakes, Lake Michigan and the Elk/Skegemog/Torch/Clam/Bellaire chain....never an issue :)

Told the wife is was her pick for a personal retirement boat. Looked at it for 30 seconds. SOLD at the boat show.

I`m on my second. Ready to get into boating, and not knowing much about recent boats, I blindly walked into a local, non Chap dealer to "look around" and see what was out there. On the showroom floor was a used 220 ssi. I liked the look and the floorplan. I tried then and there to deal, and made an offer, but it was refused, but then and there I knew what I wanted.

I took my search to private sellers. I found my first Sunesta 243 from a private individual about 20 miles from home, kept it three years, got the bug again and this spring sold the 243 and bought my current Sunesta 264. Within our boating family, our boat seems to be the "key stone" of any tie-up. Maybe its the sink/counter area with built in grill. But we gets lots of compliments wherever we take her, thats for sure.

Got to Chap in a roundabout way. Went to buy a Sea Ray. Straight to the boat, tried to do a deal, salesman insisted to show me every boat they had. Resale value, resale value, resale value, blah blah blah. Me: "What makes a Sea Ray a Sea Ray?" He talked about chrome rub rail, continuous curved windshield, oversize ski locker, build quality, resale value (oh no, not THAT again). Never took my order. I bought a Tahoe the next day -chrome rub rail, curved w/s, oversize ski locker, 9.5k cheaper. Dumb salesman. Two years later we stumble on an on-the-water boat show by the local Chap dealer. We see the SSX, SSi, and Sunestas and know that's our next boat. Layout, ride, interior upholstery quality, styling - then I remembered my crush on the 80's model XLs I used to see on the lake as a college student and that was all she wrote. Never have looked at any other boat seriously since...

College roommate needed cash so we traded his boat for my cash. I still take him for rides now and then to remind him how nice of a boat it is.

My wife always the family to have a boat, so finally in 2005 for my wife's birthday I bought a friend's Chaparral (our 1994 2130SS). I knew nothing about boating or boats in particular, so just went with the knowledge my friend would only buy quality. And, he sure did...

Our 1994 served us well through 2014, but in January 2014 we got two-foot-itis and made the jump to the 2008 244 Xtreme we now have. I saw one of these on the water about two years ago and the styling just caught my attention. Turns out it's the perfect boat for our needs and most importantly, my wife adores the boat.

College roommate needed cash so we traded his boat for my cash. I still take him for rides now and then to remind him how nice of a boat it is.

You ever think about upgrading? Some day I want a 257 ssx or a 92-94' 2350sx! :pirate:

You ever think about upgrading? Some day I want a 257 ssx or a 92-94' 2350sx! :pirate:

I'm fairly content with it for now. I have other water toys that keep me from getting bored with any single one of them. I am drawing up plans for a toy shed and it has me thinking about the future and how big it needs to be.

A villian would be kinda cool to blast up and down the river. The 1900 is the perfect size for our family at this stage. It just the Admiral, our 3 year old and myself. No water sports, just cruising. I never give any thought to how much fuel costs and towing it wherever is effortless.