lovetowrenchit

I would like to know some of your best boating tips, and boating knots you use

It has been a long time since I owned a boat of any kind, so I would like to know some of your best boating tips., and boating knots you use for different things, and whatever else you want to throw out for the heck of it....

It would help me get ready for my first maiden voyage of the Chap when the time comes, and should be an interesting topic.

Thanks!

Knot doing the double post! LOL. Sorry man but it was out there.

OK, I will go ahead and start but I cannot take credit for this. Several months ago Keith posted this about ramping procedures and etiquitte. It is a good read.

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=25855

Indeed! That dude is incredibly helpful! Goes way out of his way to help. I actually printed that and kept it with me. I ended up tweaking a few things and used it as a guideline for the first few times we launched the 276 on our own. I'll tell ya, it helped greatly and launching is MUCH easier than retrieving, of course, and my lesson learned the hard way was forgetting to trim up on our first hauling out. Luckily my son and a bunch of onlookers yelled out loud enough for me to hear over the diesel that I barely stopped just in time. Skeg scraped about 6 inches before I stopped. It helped too that there's a trim switch on the stern. After that I would trim off that switch once the boat was wenched and tied off before hauling out. Then it became habit to just throttle gently to help the wenching until she's fully up the bunks and up against the roller, then drive trimmed up off the throttle switch. Then I went back to the stern switch because I coudn't hear it when it reached full out lol. I don't like to trim it all the way till it's stretched so I listen to it as it starts to strain I know it's there, then back out a bit. So you learn and adapt quite a bit as you develop your own methods but that guideline is worth beaucoup $. Keith should patent it and distribute it. 10$ a copy.

My three essential knots: bowline, alpine loop and a trucker's hitch. Well, throw in the half-hitch as well, which is required for a secure bowline and trucker's hitch.

When solo at the dock, I've used a robber's hitch at times. Not enough to be proficient at it, but sure is handy when you need it.

Also, one of the handiest things we keep on our boat is a collection of large plastic "C" clamps from Harbor Freight. They're great for hanging towels from the bimini frame of our 244 -- either for drying or providing shade. I also use them as "chip clips" for the many Dorito bags, or for hanging up a rope to dry. They clamp to the windshield frame as well. About $1 each.

As a bonus for our 244, they happen to be black with orange pads. :)

good stuff!

I can't remember all the details, and what went wrong, it was a long time ago...keep your face far away from the boat trailer manual winch handle, while winching your boat. if your hand slips off with load on that winch, you could end up in the hospital with a shattered nose bone, broken into many little pieces. I learned the hard way, and it all happened in a split second :slap: :slap: :slap:

Also, one of the handiest things we keep on our boat is a collection of large plastic "C" clamps from Harbor Freight. They're great for hanging towels from the bimini frame of our 244 -- either for drying or providing shade. I also use them as "chip clips" for the many Dorito bags, or for hanging up a rope to dry. They clamp to the windshield frame as well. About $1 each.

+1 ... I've got a bag of light duty plastic spring clamps of various sizes at HD, 20pc collection for something like 10 bucks ... very useful for all sort of things ...

page27-1017-full_zpsb2defff6.jpg

good stuff!

I can't remember all the details, and what went wrong, it was a long time ago...keep your face far away from the boat trailer manual winch handle, while winching your boat. if your hand slips off with load on that winch, you could end up in the hospital with a shattered nose bone, broken into many little pieces. I learned the hard way, and it all happened in a split second :slap: :slap: :slap:

I always worry about the strap snapping. But it's pretty strong for the most part and I hear ya on the wench handle. Ouch, that must've hurt bad.

Our first few times retrieving the boat and pulling it up on the bunks, we had a wicked tough time. Couldn't get it all the way to the rubber stopper. It fell shy by 2" or so. Then we figured out that if I revved it just a little bit and assist the pulling by pushing, it helps quite a bit to push it up the bunks and all the way. But the better thing I found out is when a good friend of mine told me to spray a little silicone on the bunks. It was genius. I could pull the 276 up the last 2 ft without too much straining.

Spray the bunks once in a while and that helps slide the boat on them quite nicely.

I

I always worry about the strap snapping. But it's pretty strong for the most part and I hear ya on the wench handle. Ouch, that must've hurt bad.

Our first few times retrieving the boat and pulling it up on the bunks, we had a wicked tough time. Couldn't get it all the way to the rubber stopper. It fell shy by 2" or so. Then we figured out that if I revved it just a little bit and assist the pulling by pushing, it helps quite a bit to push it up the bunks and all the way. But the better thing I found out is when a good friend of mine told me to spray a little silicone on the bunks. It was genius. I could pull the 276 up the last 2 ft without too much straining.

Spray the bunks once in a while and that helps slide the boat on them quite nicely.

that's a good idea bout the silicone spray on the bunks, one I'll remember, thanks

Here's one I learnt. Any time you take the plug out, tape or some how attach it the wheel. When you go to the helm and see it................................

Dual battery setup, led lights, over size fenders, extra dock lines, GPS, VHF, and there is to more!

that's a good idea bout the silicone spray on the bunks, one I'll remember, thanks

You're welcome. Are you boating fresh water only? Jackson Lake? Sidney Lanier? Or do you get out to the coast? That would seem like a long drive, though.

As far as reloading and winching goes, I power it up to within 2 or 3 feet of the winch, shut the engine down and trim it up. I then climb out over the bow and hook it up and crank it up the remaining few feet as the Admiral simultaneously backs the truck down a little more. Has always worked like a charm for us.

You're welcome. Are you boating fresh water only? Jackson Lake? Sidney Lanier? Or do you get out to the coast? That would seem like a long drive, though.

when I was boating, it was all the lakes you mentioned, including Florida, not offshore though just the bay areas. With this Chap I have now. I have never had it in the water, purchased it with a bad block, been looking at it for almost a year now :thsmilie_water_119-1:

... and STAY AFLOAT putty.

Sounds a bit BS but this toilet wax like substance seems to work in an emergency to plug the holes inside and outside of the boat, and is not expensive ... http://search.defender.com/?expression=STAY%20AFLOAT&s=1. Watch the video and judge by yourself ...

Wow! wonder how large of a hole it will plug? I'm sure it has limitations, but still would be wort buying

thanks! for sharing that info....

Here's one I learnt. Any time you take the plug out, tape or some how attach it the wheel. When you go to the helm and see it................................

Dual battery setup, led lights, over size fenders, extra dock lines, GPS, VHF, and there is to more!

don't they now make some kind of new drain plug that you leave in, and just twist it to let the water drain out

and thanks for the other info too...

is this 180SL going to be a chore to board? I have trouble getting in and out of it while it sets on the trailer, any tips on that?

I also would like to know if the trail is original to the boat, and how does the tilt work on it?

Use the ladder to board from the rear or mount a spare tire to the front of the trailer and use it to get into the bow. Not sure if your trailer tilts. As far as it being original, is it the same model year as the boat?

Use the ladder to board from the rear or mount a spare tire to the front of the trailer and use it to get into the bow. Not sure if your trailer tilts. As far as it being original, is it the same model year as the boat?

Mounting and using a spare tire for a bow step, is a good idea.

The trailer, not sure if there is a serial number on it. The trailer has some paper stickers on the side rails, but the info that was printed on them has long faded away.

I'll do more digging around for more info on the trailer

thanks