Fox

Replacing Gauges and Instruments

I have a 2008 310 Sig and the gauges are becoming impossible to read. I'd like to replace with newer technology multi-functionals, but I'd prefer to minimize the dash modifications. Anybody have experiences to share? Thanks

Do you have Mercs? I put in a Vesselview (still need to do a writeup on it) to get more detailed engine and fuel info. I love it. My gauges, however, were not hard to read, so I didn't go in the direction of replacing them. If I needed new gauges, and that was my goal....I definitely would've added a set of Smartcraft gauges to my Vesselview upgrade, or even not have done the VV upgrade at all. Most of the SC1000 gauge variations out there will give all the same info as the VV just in a different presentation. There are a bunch of good sets on ebay, and livorsi makes some nice ones too, or even Merc OEM stuff.

The only issue with adding all this stuff is that your engines are most likely Smartcraft "capable" and not "equipped"......read:$$$$ to add all the smartcraft cables. This is definitely a doable job if you are mechanically inclined. I spoke in depth with Merc about my install and they sent me some great blueprints to get the system up and running. All the cables probably ran me $200ish, just to get started. Add harnesses as you choose to get more info, such as water and waste levels, generator info, depth, seawater temp, blah blah blah.

5411bfef7bb259e1f40b4e7aecf57db5.jpg

a183355d1ad53a2bf59bb101fa53ec4d.jpg

99b67d166384e7157c70272075283b0f.jpg

f2e6d83bc3bf0e7780cca5682077fbd1.jpg

Thanks flyboycj84. I do have mercs and I'm pretty sure they're smartcraft equipped. However, you bring up a good point and I'll check into that this weekend. Is there a simple way of determining that?

I'm not sure if Chap "equipped" any boats standard from the factory. I imagine it's an expensive option. As far as definitely knowing, if there are any gauges or monitors going to a black junction box behind the dash, than you probably have it. On the engine side of things, on the back of the motor there is a harness labeled "CAN BUS". If that harness has a blue cable running to the helm, than you are "equipped". If that harness is dangling back there (my bet is that it is) than you are just "capable" and have to buy the Smartcraft backbone.

This is everything I had to buy to get SC up and running....

885407F0-0BAA-4C26-B341-897F0B62985A.jpg