TexasPilot71

Quick trip on a beautiful Saturday afternoon! (video)

14 posts in this topic

What an amazing January weekend we are having in North Texas! Temps in the mid 60s. Thought I'd take my new GoPro for a spin and test it out while getting a little gas and pumping out the holding tank. What amazing video that little GoPro takes. Can't wait to get it out this summer!

Used three differnet mounting locations all using the suction mount:

1) Bottom of the radar arch

2) Front of the walk-through windscreen

3) On top of the radar dome itself

Let me know what you like best:

Yeah I like all 3 of them also except if I was forced to chose one, I'd say the top of the walk-through windscreen because you don't have any distracting flapping from either the Plexiglas windshield or the flap itself on top of the radar. Other than that, good stuff. Those things are great, aren't they?

BTW, I like how you used the current to your advantage to pull up the fuel dock. Very nifty.

thanks for sharing...we were at texoma yesterday...our little 19 foot we just took for "get the engine going" spin in cedar bayou...but what a beautiful weekend in NTX...we are so lucky eh?

NICE ... thanks for sharing!

I like the shots from eye-view level (#2) the most. I tried this as well but opted for top of radar arch mount as the least interfering with boat operation. FWIW, here is my mount ... a semi-permanent bracket that I keep there all season long ... a safety lanyard anchors the cam to the horn, just in case.

SONY_POV_ANYTIME_zpsa7ba667f.jpg

Man, I gotta get the boat back out! Great shots. You made me realize I need a camera on the boat.

Location two is best. Like Hatem said, no flapping sounds; smooth, quiet and gives the full feel of cruising.

Yeah, I don't know what that flapping noise was. I have never heard it before and didn't notice it while underway yesterday. The bimini is absolutely and completely noise-free. Even when we sea-trialed it, the broker made the comment that there is usually SOME noise, but this one is solid. No idea what it was. Might have been the eisenglass as Hatem suggested, but I didn't hear it. Won't be an issue when it warms up and I take down the enclosure.

Hatem, I'm learning to use the wind. It's especially necessary when the enclosure is up and acts like a sail. It's MUCH more difficult.

I like your setup, Richard. I'll be utilizing some lanyards too. Took a couple chances yesterday but that suction mount is incredible.

TimandWendy, glad to see other Texoma boaters here. We like that little cove west of Cedar Bayou.

Hatem, I'm learning to use the wind. It's especially necessary when the enclosure is up and acts like a sail. It's MUCH more difficult.

I never would've thought of that and I haven't put up mine yet so I haven't experienced that "sail" effect you're talking about, but it makes total and complete sense that it would act that way.

Twice, last season I approached our ramp at the end of the day and the current and wind were cranking really good and I slid in using them and lemme tell ya, I felt like such a pro lol.

BTW, TP, how about them Patriots? :)

Yes, all are good. I liked how the windscreen mount made me feel like I was the driver. It would perhaps give that feeling even more if offset to Starboard. The highest mount was also really good if you want someone to appreciate the boat within it's surroundings and proximity to other things; docks, buoys, boats, etc. Very cool toy. :)

For me and my family... it ain't boating if you can't jump out the back for a swim. Just not the same thing. Waiting for the end of May when the water starts getting swim-able... Then, it cools off again by the end of September. 4 months' gotta do it. Sad... but what do you do. We boat like crazy from mid June to mid Sept...

Great vid though!

Great to watch!

As I'm not in the US I possibly "see" more from the video than most.

The surrounding landscape looks very different to me.

We don't have covered marina berths like that.

The guy talking on the radio has a funny accent ;-)

Oh and the boat was running nice and smooth!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Greg

LOL! We got nothing on New Zealand! Gorgeous place you live. Flew into Auckland on a trip to Australia in 1999. Was mesmerized at the NZ scenery. It's officially my dream vacation location. Used to be (and might still be) a group that would rent single engine aircraft and coordinate a 2 week trip all over NZ. One or two legs per day with activities lined up at each stop. Now, I might look a little deeper into a boating tour. That would be incredible.

Thanks for the note! Yes, we do have funny accents! :)