Sign in to follow this  
elkhound11

POP Yachts

I think it's time for me to give up on my Sig 29. What I got her for just isn't working for me and it would be best to sell. Does anyone know if POP Yachts is a good broker to work with?

Check google for reviews...I decided not use them. The calls/emails from the sales representative didn't stop!!

most brokers are taking 10% at least if not minumum. They are legit I have used them as a buyer, they were helpful but kind of annoying. Really most brokers I have ever talked to really dont know anything about your boat and are just somebody leaching money off your sale. Any brokers out there dont take that the wrong way, I think there are a legit uses for them as in cases where you have a rare or expensive boat or maybe you are not co located near your boat etc.

Personally put a for sale sign on it and utilize craigslist for free or pay to list on boattrader. save your self thousands.

I found my boat through Pop Yachts. They are a broker and help the seller advertise their boat in all the "Boats for Sale" websites and etc. They come and take a lot of pics of your boat and then post away. They even post boats on You Tube. The seller has to pay 10% or 2500 deer. I never spoke to the broker. They emailed me the POC of the seller and we went from there.

One thing to watch out for is a tactic they use. If you sell your boat on your own and notify them that it sold they will request you provide the personal information of the purchaser. If that person has ever registered on their website POP will come after you for the 10% commission even if the purchaser contacted you directly after seeing your boat on another site like Craigslist and not through POP Yacht.

Basically they will try to squeeze a commission out of you even if they did not provide a buyer.

Phillbo. POP Yacht's sets up a marketing network through their website and other sources such as Boattrader, Yacht World and other internet sites. Craigslist isn't one of them. The good: They expose your boat on many publications and websites. The Bad: They overprice your boat to compensate for commissions.

I have gotten calls and emails from them and as was said above, they are persistent.

If I was selling, I don't think I would see that as a bad thing. They were never unprofessional, just persistent.

A persistent salesman Is what I want when buying or selling. I am PAYING him 10 % to work to close a deal ASAP. Right ?

If you want the most money, I'd list it on ebay with a reserve price and buy it now/ make an offer AND I'd also list it on boat trader. People on Craigslist will want a deal and a broker just wants to take your money. The least hassle will be a broker, but that will also not be as profitable as boat trader.

I get an email a week from them......very annoying......I contacted them while in my search, then I bought my boat from a guy who listed with them, but also had it listed on Craigslist first (which is where I found it).......not sure I would use them, but then again, I'm on the wrong side of the deal...if I were selling it might work out fine, but as a buyer they are very annoying.

Remember, any boat you buy from them you purchased for 10-12% more than what the seller was willing to take.

I'd sell with them but never purchase.

I used them to purchase my 256ssi. Very positive experience. Truth be told, given scheduling, travel, personalities of seller and buyer I don't think the deal would have gotten done without a broker in the middle managing the process. Well worth 2,500 or whatever I may have "over paid".

That being said, I believe they utilize a network of independent contractors operating under their banner so not sure our guy is representative of the entire team.

I used them to purchase my 256ssi. Very positive experience. Truth be told, given scheduling, travel, personalities of seller and buyer I don't think the deal would have gotten done without a broker in the middle managing the process. Well worth 2,500 or whatever I may have "over paid".

That being said, I believe they utilize a network of independent contractors operating under their banner so not sure our guy is representative of the entire team.

My only issue with them was they obivously had very little personal knowledge of each boat, so it was a go between game all the time, but at the same time I cant necessarily expect them to know everything about every boat. And as paying Im not going to over pay, Im going to pay what Im going to pay, its the sellers issue to accept or reject the offer and then pay the broker. I bought from a dealer on my 265SSi on consignment so basically a broker. I paid what I wanted, nice thing about the dealer I used was this particular boat was bought and serviced there. The owner was the type of guy that either didnt have time or just want a wrench head as he blindly handed money to the dealer to fix and maintain the boat all the time. My dealer also was very concious of their rep, vs a broker might not be as hey they just sold the boat to you and were the middle man they have very little interest. The dealer I bought from figured anything that left their lot had their name on it, they didnt sell junk or fixer uppers. The boat I boat wasnt broke, but had some maint items that just had to be taken care, and they made the owner do about 800 bucks in repair work before they would be willing to sell.