Sign in to follow this  
justdirt

Holding tank removal

I need to replace the leaking aluminum holding tank on our 240 Sig. Is there an easy/proper way to remove the white reinforced hoses from the tank. After loosening the clamps, the hoses are still very tight. The hose fittings also seem to have some white sealent on them.

First thing that comes to mind is try a hair dryer, just make sure it's safe before going in there with an electric "tool". Need to make sure you don't have any gas fumes and plenty ventilation and a safe, grounded, electrical connection to the dryer. Slowly heat up the hose at the fittings to soften the goo and expand the hose a bit and you should be able to slide it out. Just be very careful about using that electrical tool inside the boat. You hear a lot of horror stories about people using vacuums in their boats and the sparking of the electric motor doesn't mix well with leaky gas fumes and kaboom. But if you don't have any leaking gas or fumes you should be ok.

We just replaced our waste tank on our 280 Signature. Since I knew we would have to buy new fittings, I just cut the hoses off. There was enough slack for the 1.5" of hose I lost when cutting off.

Todd makes a Waste Tank Fitting Replacement kit for about $28.

Where are you getting your tank from? We got ours from Custom Roto-Molding - they were able to custom drill the holes for the fittings and put the female ends on. Good price and fast shipping.

Take your hands and grab and twist the hoses off. You will have to work it off, but twisting should break the sealant. This goes for every type of line including fuel lines, cooling hoses, etc.

I ordered it from Ezell Inc. who was the original tank manufacturer. It was made out of .090" thic aluminum. The new one will be .125" and better last a lot longer.

I am very proud of myself for not commenting about the crappy job.

but someone had to do it!

Justdirt, take a look at my recent post on a fuel leak. My waste tank was rotted when I bought my boat 5 years ago. The bottom had dozens of holes and the waste leaked all over the fuel tank, for years and years. The previous owner may not have known about it. Anyway, the waste ate my fuel tank from the outside and the fuel tank was leaking. I would suggest you keep an eye on your fuel tank too, especially if the waste tank is mounted above your fuel tank like mine.