Volvo Penta New Drive System

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know we will NOT be trimming the drive up & removing anything on the props or water intakes anymore. I can easily do that on present drives. Trim up & I can change props while floating behind the units.

Just thought of a baddie condition. My Alpha2 drive WOULD be lot more difficult...

All the parts COULD slide right off. If not lucky. Would need clothes with pockets to hold tool , nut & spacers. I carry goggles on all boats. Gloves of some kind would be good also on some sharp blades. I have those metal mesh fillet gloves. Tipped up prop drives seem a lot easier.

Here's a question no one asked - why does it have to be fixed in one direction or the other? Why can't it spin to face forward or aft and be versatile to it's fullest capability? All they'd need to do is make it so that bottom unit can swivel 360 degrees and the rest is history.

Interesting idea. But it's never that simple.

- Does forward now become reverse?

- Does water pickup now work the same?

- Does exhaust now "pollute" the clean, undisturbed flow of water (and sorry I could not resist the pun)?

Could these be addressed? Donno. Still I like to think outside the box and enjoyed kicking that around mentally.

It's sounds like it's aimed primarily at the water sports boats and boaters.

I just watched that video. While it's not for me and my shallow water, coastal boating, I can see it being advantageous on a deep inland lake for watersports and cruising. It will give more control than a fixed-angle, slightly downward facing inboard prop will, it gets the props down deep under the boat into undisturbed water like an inboard, and it allows for better layout in the cockpit because the engine is at the back.

From a business perspective, I'm not sure what the demand case would be, but as another drive option on a sterndrive boat, I see it as a good thing. I mean, say you order a 244 Sunesta. You can now choose between a Mercruiser alpha or bravo, or Volvo single, dual or forward propset, depending on where and how you want to use your boat. How's that for options? The outboard guys don't get that many fundamentally different choices, that's for sure.

Ok, while I'm back on this thread, that the other nigh I could not go to sleep as I kept trying to understand what's wrong withe the design as it is, and specifically the image of the Four Winns withe the drive tilted up and yet the props are lower than when it was trimmed down.

And the it hit me - the problem is that it was mounted on a Four Winns. Just kidding. The real problem is that the props are forward of the outdrives pivot point. A normal outdrive forms an arch as it raises. Imagine the tip of the skeg @ 7 (on a clock face) when it's fully trimmed in and moving backwards to about 3 o'clock when fully tilted. So from 7 back to 3 is the arch. With the props forward of the pivot point, this new outdrives skeg will form the same arch, BUT the props will form an arch that extends farther out from the pivot point, which is effectively deeper in the water. The exact opposite of what you are looking for when tilting up. If mapped on a clock the forward drives props seem more like 8 moving back to 4 but in an arch is lower than the 7 to 3 arch.

All of this gets eliminated if the props are not forward of the outdrives pivot point.

I think if you want to make a forward facing sterndrive the functional equal of todays sterndrives albeit with better performance, it will ultimately require a redesign of the entire drive (lower unit, upper unit, transom mount, and trim system).

Definitely not a simple task, you're right. Gears would have to be set up so that forward is always forward in both scenarios.

Interesting because I always thought that the pods spun 360 degrees. It made sense that they would because of that range of motion they're able to perform with the joystick (at least 180 degrees especially for that sideways motion) but turns out they don't even go past 26 degrees (if I'm not mistaken) and that's at slow speeds. It's even less (15 degrees) at faster engine speeds.

https://books.google.com/books?id=S4FwbS8StvEC&pg=PA219&lpg=PA219&dq=maximum+degree+of+turn+in+Volvo+Penta+IPS+pods&source=bl&ots=y8CbNUl37c&sig=s46dLhmMNNvJMtZZIVboah-icuM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7ergVJ7rKK_ksASg54CAAg&ved=0CEkQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=maximum%20degree%20of%20turn%20in%20Volvo%20Penta%20IPS%20pods&f=false

Definitely not a simple task, you're right. Gears would have to be set up so that forward is always forward in both scenarios.

Interesting because I always thought that the pods spun 360 degrees. It made sense that they would because of that range of motion they're able to perform with the joystick (at least 180 degrees especially for that sideways motion) but turns out they don't even go past 26 degrees (if I'm not mistaken) and that's at slow speeds. It's even less (15 degrees) at faster engine speeds.

https://books.google.com/books?id=S4FwbS8StvEC&pg=PA219&lpg=PA219&dq=maximum+degree+of+turn+in+Volvo+Penta+IPS+pods&source=bl&ots=y8CbNUl37c&sig=s46dLhmMNNvJMtZZIVboah-icuM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7ergVJ7rKK_ksASg54CAAg&ved=0CEkQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=maximum degree of turn in Volvo Penta IPS pods&f=false

I didn't know that about the pods. They must be doing a lot with software to translate pushing a joystick to 9 o'clock (sorry I can't get off this metaphor) into which pod is in which gear at which angle and what thrust.

I PODs work very close to the way we make sharp turns in a roeboat pun. We pull back one 1 oar & push forward on the other.

By varying the amount of forward & backward on each motor. Not much deflection is needed.

BUUTTT

Your gas consumption GOES WAY UP if you are turning at any speed. The rudder is really useless with I PODs. Or could be if efficiency is no consideration. It just makes for thousands of calculations per second to be smooth.

Question

What do you use if the IPOD computer dies ??

Old guy is wandering. Again.

I didn't know that about the pods. They must be doing a lot with software to translate pushing a joystick to 9 o'clock (sorry I can't get off this metaphor) into which pod is in which gear at which angle and what thrust.

Fly By Wire with redundancy? Chances are the unit fails way before the software crashes or malfunctions.

The wake surf market has already taken off. It has almost taken over wakeboarding as the number one thing to do behind a performance tow boat. This drive is going directly after that market but with a much more wallet friendly price tag. As of right now only 5 OEMs will be building a boat around this drive with Chaparral being one of them. You will see these drives on cabin cruiser boats as well in the near future. IPS has huge improvements in handling and efficiency over inboards and this drive has those same improvements over the traditional stern drive. One of the higher ups at Volvo America's Son is a big time wake surfer and they could never be in that market with the props facing back. No one wants to fall into those of off the surf board.

I just got to talk to our Volvo Sales rep last night at the Boston boat show and we went over this drive. Yes if you hit something you will need to have the props repaired. I have never seen a stern drive boat come in to our service department that hit a rock that didn't need to have the props repaired. I don't see the forward facing props as a disadvantage there. It's the same transom plate, upper gear case, and trim system from the SX/DP drives just with a different lower. The drive shaft saver is still in between the halves and the drive will kick up if enough of an impact occurs just like the current drives.

The fuel efficiency on this drive is huge since the props see clean water all the time. The drivability of the boat increases as well. Cornering is improved as well as take off. The boat is like driving a front wheel drive car as it now pulls through the water not pushing it.

In the wake sport department the drive has huge advantages over the inboard. Trimming the drive will now change the angle of the thrust where an inboard only gives the transom of the boat lift. The boats will still need ballast and tabs to perfect the wake as well as some tweaking of the hull. This is something that Chaparral will do a great job with!

The drive may look different but it is the kick in the pants the stern drive market needed. There are segments of the marketplace that have had huge growth in the last years and this drive allows more boat builders access to those and allows consumers to get into those markets without spending HUGE dollars. It's a step in the right direction in my book.

For the current time the drive is only available on the V8-300 and 320. By July you will see this on the new 4.3 V6-240, 280 as well as the new 5.3 V8-300 and 320. I'm sure it will be on the new 6.2s as well at that point.

Bryan, great meeting you yesterday at the Chap booth. Chaparral was well represented and I really liked that 307 Anniversary issue quite a bit. A very nice boat, indeed. That silver band looks very cool with the all-black bottom and I like how that boat came with the partial wetbar. It seems most of these newer one come with the additional seating and no wetbar but this one had just the sink with a cooler underneath it and enough of a counter to do whatever you need to on it and that extra seat next to it. So you basically get the best of both worlds. Oh and that silver hardtop is great. I'll send you that info we talked about a bit later today. Cheers.

Oh, we'll probably get down there again either today but more likely tomorrow. Can't see everything in one day lol. That show is really well put together.

the Regal looks nice, much better than that Monster Energy colored Four Winns thing, Can't wait to see Chap's entry.

p2120097.jpg

May be the angle this picture was taken at, but seems the out drive still extends beyond the swim platform. Even on my tradition out drive, the props are still tucked well inside of the platform. On this boat the safety value is diminished a bit by having exposed metal (albeit not sharp rotating props).

the Regal looks nice, much better than that Monster Energy colored Four Winns thing, Can't wait to see Chap's entry.

p2120097.jpg

May be the angle this picture was taken at, but seems the out drive still extends beyond the swim platform. Even on my tradition out drive, the props are still tucked well inside of the platform. On this boat the safety value is diminished a bit by having exposed metal (albeit not sharp rotating props).