Volvo Penta New Drive System

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May be the angle this picture was taken at, but seems the out drive still extends beyond the swim platform. Even on my tradition out drive, the props are still tucked well inside of the platform. On this boat the safety value is diminished a bit by having exposed metal (albeit not sharp rotating props).

+1 , they need to make the integrated swim platform about 2ft longer...

0C66FE2B-31A2-4737-9E92-F07E81BB8652-915

I can see how this drive system could provide better perf and "prop safety" (I have no issues surfing behind my boat but thats a different topic). However there is NO WAY I would own this drive combo given my local lake.. depths in several places often go to 3-4ft (to get to friends house we have to navigate a 3' channel that requires idle speed drive trimmed up higher than I would like). Maybe if you boated in deep, clean lakes.

I also see a problem with lifts...

sternviewatdock.jpg

+1 , they need to make the integrated swim platform about 2ft longer...

0C66FE2B-31A2-4737-9E92-F07E81BB8652-915

I can see how this drive system could provide better perf and "prop safety" (I have no issues surfing behind my boat but thats a different topic). However there is NO WAY I would own this drive combo given my local lake.. depths in several places often go to 3-4ft (to get to friends house we have to navigate a 3' channel that requires idle speed drive trimmed up higher than I would like). Maybe if you boated in deep, clean lakes.

I also see a problem with lifts...

sternviewatdock.jpg

Yeah, better not pull too far forward or there goes your center chambers.

I am all for new tech but this seems limited in market. those that only wakesurf. trimming up will provide a big wake I see that. but when you want to simply cruise and save fuel how do you trim the boat to reduce the drag? maybe a good application will be sterndrive big cruisers that don't have pods, but sportboat people (if I can call myself a typical one) does a little bit of everything, tubing, skiing, wakeboarding, lounging, etc. and also cruising with the family and occasionally a bit of racing when the wife isn't with. all of that and I like to save money and have most items DIY - This outdrive will have a specialty trailer required, must have a greater min. depth (takes away beaching or anchoring near shore) and looks like a PITA to maintain as any prop or drive work will have you on your back under the trailer. For a 20'-30' sport boat that's a lot of negatives in my mind for getting "clean" water to the props. the older I get the more I appreciate access to common items

I am all for new tech but this seems limited in market. those that only wakesurf. trimming up will provide a big wake I see that. but when you want to simply cruise and save fuel how do you trim the boat to reduce the drag? maybe a good application will be sterndrive big cruisers that don't have pods, but sportboat people (if I can call myself a typical one) does a little bit of everything, tubing, skiing, wakeboarding, lounging, etc. and also cruising with the family and occasionally a bit of racing when the wife isn't with. all of that and I like to save money and have most items DIY - This outdrive will have a specialty trailer required, must have a greater min. depth (takes away beaching or anchoring near shore) and looks like a PITA to maintain as any prop or drive work will have you on your back under the trailer. For a 20'-30' sport boat that's a lot of negatives in my mind for getting "clean" water to the props. the older I get the more I appreciate access to common items

I finally got it. This drive is Not supposed to compete with a today's sterndrive. If you wan't, need, or conditions dictate you get a traditional sterndrive, then that's what you get.

This is exclusively for people who would buy an inboard (master craft, nautique, Malibu, tige, ...). If you compare the drive to those inboard / v-drive configuration boats, it competes rather well and it's liabilities are no worse than those of an inboard. If you currently own or would purchase a boat with a fixed propeller under it, then this could be a better alternative to that.

Assuming this drive is in the right application, I'm a fan of it. I think it will give the sterndrive boat builder a better chance to compete withe the specialty wakeboard boat companies.

Can't wait to see the trailers for these boats.

If you fast forward to the very end of this video, you can see a very quick glimpse of the trailer

Four Winns used for their FWD drive tow boat.

Pretty simple, just have the hull supported to the end of the transom, and everything else hangs in the air off the back.

Can't pull ahead too far, as it will hit the bow roller and stop there.

This looks weird, but our next boat will be a dedicated surf / wakeboard boat, now that we only boat in ONE lake, in conditions we are familiar with. I have been struggling with how to convince my wife that getting the capabilities in the water we want, is worth giving up all the things we LOVE about our boat, that become very obvious when we hang out with friends that have dedicated boats..

For people like us, who want the capabilities of a dedicated surf boat, but love the stern drive amenities, this is perfect. I do all my maintenance on the trailer anyway so that is a wash. I do think this might be version 1, and version 1.5 might be the one to buy, as the only thing I don't like is the fact that trimming "UP" gets the prop "down", and that is due to the fact they took the easy way out and used the existing platform. If I was making a living off of surf boats, I would be a little concerned that some of my new customers, might not be new customers anymore!