Sign in to follow this  
Frantino

Mercury vs.Volvo.

Hi. I just ordered my 2015 246 Sunesta and are all excited, can't wait till summer. I ordered it with Mercry 377 MAG 2.20 Bravo 3 320 HP. Should I have gotten the Volvo V-8 2.14 DP 320 HP instead? Dealer said it just went into production schedule. I may have a chance to switch!

I heard something good about one of the 2 props in Mercury has 4 fins (better for out of the hole and general power) versus 2 three fin props in a Volvo...???

Thanks

Stay with the Mercruiser.

Less problems. Less frequently. Less expensive to repair. Black painted engines always run better & longer. All my Mercruiser engines are almost virgins the 2002 5.0L has yet to have any repairs done to it. Same for the boat.

The 377 Mercruiser is a good engine and has been around for enough time to have the bugs workout. Proven GM cast iron block V8 power for years of reliable operation. Plenty of power and decent fuel economy. Just follow Mercury maintenance schedules and use good gas. Have fun.

the items mentioned above are true.

the advantage of the Volvo is changing impellers, oil and filters - that is one thing they did correct

if you have trim pump issues, Volvo thought it would be a great idea to put the pump on the outside of the boat sealed without anyway to check fluid levels or add fluid.

Other than the trim pump, I haven't found it difficult to find parts for any maint. items on the Volvo.

nothing on a boat is a bargain, if it says marine on it add 100% or more to what its really worth

my drive exploded last year and Volvo replaced the entire unit under warranty and did it reasonably timely although when it happened it was August and next day would have been the best but replaced within 4 weeks in reality was fair. make sure you read your extended warranty on any model - I was very detailed in documenting my services, self performed or paid for and that allowed my claim to not be challenged.

Hello, Im looking at a 2006 Chaparral 274 Sunesta. She has a 377 mag with bravo 3 outdrive. My question is that enough motor for this boat?

The 377 has the common 4" bore shared by the tried and true 350, but the stroke is stretched out to 3.75" and uses an alloy steel crankshaft. The horsepower gets pushed up to 320 at just under 5,000 RPM. Solid, 4 bolt main block with iron Vortec heads. That said, The 274 at 28' is going to be over 6,000# and the beam is 8' 6" so your small block will be working pretty hard. As long as you are not looking for speed and as long as the engine is healthy (big "if" on a 2006 boat) then you should be able to cruise at 30 mph without issue. Hole shot can be improved by putting the "extra guests" in the bow, and rotating the eccentric bushing on your Bravo trim cylinder trailing end anchor point. A quick look at the used market indicates that most available have the standard 350 so it would seem the 377 was a rare upgrade.  W