New 307 SSX Ordered

45 MPH on the water is plenty fast. It's a good speed and your not burning up a lot of fuel. Those WOT runs you can literally see the fuel gauge move. The single engine big block w/ BIII will be suitable for your applications.

Again congrats.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think the larger issue with a boat full of kids and gear w/ a single is getting up on plane on a boat 30' and 10k lbs. When my starboard drive went down I couldn't get on plane w/ one drive alone. Different setup but 10,000lbs is 10,000lbs getting on plane pulling a skier may be challenging, I will guess your top end will be in the mid 40's - once on plane the single screw will do just fine.

Well, I just looked at the boattest.com data and this boat weighs 10,000 lbs!!! :o It hit 52 mph with twin SBC 300 hp v8's...So I'm thinking with the single BB it will go 42-45. As for yours, I have no idea, but this boat is bigger and heavier!

Yeah but I think your original 40-42 mph was a bit too low and now it's creeping up to 42-45 that's a difference of 5 mph lol :D

AND his motor is not just a big block, BTW, it's the Merc 8.2L High Output DTS which is 430 HP and has greater torque than the regular BB's which will help him get on plane faster. Then you have to factor more weight with the 2 engines AND 2 drives. A lot to consider.

Look at this test result of the 4.5L Mercruiser. 250 HP and 48 mph or 500 hp? Can you tell if that 48 MPH is with a single engine test on a 307 SSX or twins? It doesn't say twins.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/performance-tests/bhb/4555/?units=imperial

Assuming it is twins and the 8.2L HO is 70 hp less, what would that reduce the 48mph by factoring less weight without a 2nd engine and drive?

Picked the 307 because the kids & friends still like to wakeboard almost every morning. Tow is mounted on the 307 arch vs not on the hardtop. We prefer an open bow as we are day boaters and don't need a cabin for overnighting. Cabin would be wasted space for us vs. open bow.

Our "money tree" is taking a hit on this as well but this is a continued investment in "family time" and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thanks for the comments.

+1, +1, +1...

The Admiral would NEVER go for a Sig (as much as I would like to) because she will NEVER give up that seat in the bow. However, if my money tree was really putting out, I could easily get her to go for a 327 SSX - best of both worlds. Sadly, my little money tree is stunted and pathetic -- looks like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.....

FAMILY TIME is the best on a boat. The only regret we have ever had is that we didn't figure out how to buy a boat years earlier than we did. We bought our first ride just as the oldest was graduating high school - his brothers were 2 and 4 years younger so we still had some great family time with the other two while 1st Mate was off at college.

Now, it IS POSSIBLE to have some night-time fun... night navigation has its own set of challenges and you will learn them the first time you go to a cool restaurant on the water and realize you've stayed too late and lost your light. I have a post or two somewhere on here about GPSes, charts, Navionics, and playing chicken with barges heading up river.... still alive (so far).

Looking forward to hearing about your first summer on this fantastic boat you just bought!

Yeah but I think your original 40-42 mph was a bit too low and now it's creeping up to 42-45 that's a difference of 5 mph lol :D

AND his motor is not just a big block, BTW, it's the Merc 8.2L High Output DTS which is 430 HP and has greater torque than the regular BB's which will help him get on plane faster. Then you have to factor more weight with the 2 engines AND 2 drives. A lot to consider.

Look at this test result of the 4.5L Mercruiser. 250 HP and 48 mph or 500 hp? Can you tell if that 48 MPH is with a single engine test on a 307 SSX or twins? It doesn't say twins.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/performance-tests/bhb/4555/?units=imperial

Assuming it is twins and the 8.2L HO is 70 hp less, what would that reduce the 48mph by factoring less weight without a 2nd engine and drive?

Here's the Chaparral test of the 307 with single Merc 8.2.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByhJ2fDr3FRtME0yMjJvUE9wTkE/view?usp=sharing

Nice boat. Most likely would have bought one if 327 did not come out first. I moved up from a 276 with 420 Volvo. Although I had plenty of power, did not do well with skiers. Like several other comments, I would try and test drive one with only a single. I'd be concerned. I know money is always an issue, but to be disappointed on a boat that is 150 plus large deer would be a real issue!! Good luck.

When my starboard drive went down I couldn't get on plane w/ one drive alone.

You couldn't get up on one engine because the outdrive on the out of service motor was creating too much drag. I've seen boat test with outboards where they want to see which is better Merc vs Yamaha. And they mount one of each motor on the boat. They always tilt the motor up so it's out of the water.

Sorry for the slow reply – work is getting in my way today for boat talk. :D First of all, no disrespect taken from anyone that has voiced their opinion here. That’s what this site is all about.

I started this thread for a couple reasons. (1) To share our excitement about getting a new boat. I’ve always liked hearing & seeing pictures of other folks getting into new boats. (2) To give others that may be interested in getting into the 307 a contact that can relate their real life experiences with the boat. I really haven’t found much on this site from actual 307 owners and their experiences. Probably due to being a new model last year.

But, we did our due diligence and feel we have made the right decision for our family based upon our Lake’s conditions and how we boat. Review of how we boat: (1) Wakeboarding in the morning off our dock with maybe 2-3 onboard. Any others would trail on waverunners. (2) No skiing. (3) Tubing done from waverunner, not boat. (4) Weekend day boating with usually 4-6 onboard. Each summer, 3-4 times w/8 onboard and 10 people on board once in the last 6 years. For 8-10 people I agree that I will need to be patient with coming up to cruising speed with a single. Tradeoff we are willing to take for 3-4 times per year. (5) Boating in very rough waters so typical cruising speed = 28-30mph. Top end speed is not important to us. If it was and wakeboarding wasn’t happening then I might be looking at a pre-owned 35’-38' performance boat from one of the many performance boat dealers at LOTO. Saving this for my next mid-life crisis!!! But, please understand that this is how we like to boat and might not be how you like to boat.

Last weekend we drove a 307 w/single (40 degrees, but sunny :D) and I have talked with a fellow LOTO boater that has a 307 with twins and he also drove the 307 with a single. He had very positive comments on how the single performed, but he just wanted more top end speed.

Thanks to all for your comments and sharing your opinions. Great feedback but no surprises for me and if anything it has re-affirmed that we made the best possible choice for our boating style. It’s a big investment so if you are ever considering the move to a 307 I am offering to answer any questions now or after we have had some good Lake time under our belt.

Pic’s to follow in May. Come on summer!!!

Thanks,

Steve

Worst case scenario you could prop for low end to get on plane faster...you will be fine! I'd get either the 257ssx with the 430hp volvo or the 327ssx because of the cabin if I could! We all have our preferences and it seems you made the right choice! Have a great summer with the new boat!!!!

Sorry for the slow reply – work is getting in my way today for boat talk. :D First of all, no disrespect taken from anyone that has voiced their opinion here. That’s what this site is all about.

I started this thread for a couple reasons. (1) To share our excitement about getting a new boat. I’ve always liked hearing & seeing pictures of other folks getting into new boats. (2) To give others that may be interested in getting into the 307 a contact that can relate their real life experiences with the boat. I really haven’t found much on this site from actual 307 owners and their experiences. Probably due to being a new model last year.

But, we did our due diligence and feel we have made the right decision for our family based upon our Lake’s conditions and how we boat. Review of how we boat: (1) Wakeboarding in the morning off our dock with maybe 2-3 onboard. Any others would trail on waverunners. (2) No skiing. (3) Tubing done from waverunner, not boat. (4) Weekend day boating with usually 4-6 onboard. Each summer, 3-4 times w/8 onboard and 10 people on board once in the last 6 years. For 8-10 people I agree that I will need to be patient with coming up to cruising speed with a single. Tradeoff we are willing to take for 3-4 times per year. (5) Boating in very rough waters so typical cruising speed = 28-30mph. Top end speed is not important to us. If it was and wakeboarding wasn’t happening then I might be looking at a pre-owned 35’-38' performance boat from one of the many performance boat dealers at LOTO. Saving this for my next mid-life crisis!!! But, please understand that this is how we like to boat and might not be how you like to boat.

Last weekend we drove a 307 w/single (40 degrees, but sunny :D) and I have talked with a fellow LOTO boater that has a 307 with twins and he also drove the 307 with a single. He had very positive comments on how the single performed, but he just wanted more top end speed.

Thanks to all for your comments and sharing your opinions. Great feedback but no surprises for me and if anything it has re-affirmed that we made the best possible choice for our boating style. It’s a big investment so if you are ever considering the move to a 307 I am offering to answer any questions now or after we have had some good Lake time under our belt.

Pic’s to follow in May. Come on summer!!!

Thanks,

Steve

My experience is guys that do their homework, know exactly what kind of boating they are going to do, understand their home water's characteristics, and have reasonable expectations for their weekends and holidays will most ALWAYS be happy and successful and will get the most out of their boat.

Steve, I think you are going to be just fine..... good luck and have fun, buddy.

Agree with your response. This is a beautiful boat and one you will be proud of and will certainly turn some heads!! Great to hear that you were able to experience the boat like you want. The big block is a beast and has incredible power!

Look forward to the pics! What color did you decide?

I too say come on summer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys - Appreciate all of your comments. Packman - Black hull, white arch, black bimini, graphite interior.

The drive into the office today was -3 degrees. Thankful though that we have been spared the snow unlike those of you in the northeast. I'll say it again for all of us - COME ON SUMMER!!!!!!

Guys - Appreciate all of your comments. Packman - Black hull, white arch, black bimini, graphite interior.

The drive into the office today was -3 degrees. Thankful though that we have been spared the snow unlike those of you in the northeast. I'll say it again for all of us - COME ON SUMMER!!!!!!

I'm be looking for that Black beauty come July......... :captain:

You will enjoy the new boat we love ours. Black boats are good looking. We went white and silver with black arch. See you at the lake.

Thanks. Good to hear that you are enjoying your boat and will keep an eye out for you this summer. I'm surprised I didn't see you last summer - I would have definitely noticed you.

Was told today that Chaparral has a completion date for the boat as 4/20/15. If that holds true we should take possesion in early May.