Fierofiend

New to boating, picked up a 1930 SS project.

120 posts in this topic

My current prop is a 14.25 x 21P. The boat moved just fine and WOT was at 4800rpms as seems it should be. If I went to a 4 blade, what pitch would I use?

Also, I found a 14.5 x 21P. How does that 1/4" affect the performance?

Depends on the 4 blade. If your current prop is a 21" pitch aluminum 3 blade prop, and you wanted a 4 blade prop (which I like a lot vs. 3 blade) then you could install a 20" Mercury Alpha 4 or Quicksilver Diamond4 prop which would be the same thing.

Or, you could install the new series 21" pitch Mercury SpitFire or Quicksilver Nemesis 4 blade aluminum props. The SpitFire and Nemesis props are designed to be a pitch for pitch replacement with aluminum props.

older Alpha4 14x20" right hand rotation: part # 48-834854a45

or

older Diamond4 14x20" right hand rotation: part # QA2186X*

new SpitFire 14x21" right hand rotation: part # 48-8M0084496

or

new Nemesis 14x21" right hand rotation: part # 48-8M0055536*

* require hub kit - either from your current propeller, or kit # 835257Q1 or K1. This hub kit comes with the Alpha4 and SpitFire series props as standard equipment.

Lastly, if you have a 21" aluminum prop, and want to upgrade to a stainless steel prop (ss) than you would need to drop down 2" of pitch. i.e. go with a 19" ss.

Shepard, again, thank you very much!! There is a local guy who has a huge inventory of used props and sells them Al for $50, SS for $125. For the time being, I'm going to pick up something to get back on the water this weekend, and was hoping to find a decent match if possible. I will certainly look into that 14" 4 blade for later this summer!

Well after lots of driving on friday, I did pick up a used lower unit for $400. I got it from a marine salvage place. He put a new impeller in it for me and gave me a new oil o-ring to go between the halves. I also picked up a 14.5 x 19P 3 blade prop from another local guy for $50. The 19P runs so much better than the 21P did. I don't really run this thing wide open across the lake, so having the extra "get up and go" was very nice. Anyway, it was a headache, and a learning experience, but at least I got to spend the past 2 days on the water! As a bonus, my speedo works now, so it must have just been clogged up in the old lower unit.

4d80db3b-e37f-4e71-98f7-868eef9e72a2_zps

Excellent, man! Gongrats. Not too often in the mechanical world do you get a smooth sailing when you marry two separate parts like that together but that's a good sign. The upper unit just needs a little TLC and some paint and it'll be brand new. Have you seen Franzfamily's thread on his VP drive restoration? If you haven't I'll try to find it for you and post it. It's fantastic!

Congrats, glad to see you got her out there and all is good. This had been a great thread to follow.

Nice job on the boat! I have/had similar vinyl issues, but I decided to just clean them for now. Will most likely have them reupholstered next year....too much month at the end of the money!

Btw....where did you get hold of the bolster buckets. I can't find any Chaparral ones anywhere.

My upholstery was really, really dirty and I think the previous owner had them painted. He neglected most everything on the boat, except the engine and sterndrive.

Hey guys, its been a while, and the boat has been covered up for the winter. I'm hoping to work on the exterior of the boat this year. I had a couple mishaps where the gelcoat got damaged that I'd like to repair. My plan is to fix the chips/scratches and then just wrap the boat in vinyl for now. A new upper/lower SEI outdrive is also on the list since the mishap last year. I will update as the weather warms up and I find the motivation to get back out there...

Simply for the same reason I just 'covered' the interior fabrics. The boat is in rough shape in some areas, I plan to fix those spots, and do the wrap so I don't have to paint/blend the entire thing.

Trust me on this one...try a wet sand, followed by a compound, and finished off with a polish/wax. Boat will look brand new for less than $100 and some elbow grease.

The seats are different...you got great results with that sem!

drewm3i,  I took your advice and ordered a full SEI unit (upper/lower) so I didn't have to worry about that lower this year.  Most of my time lately has been using a wire brush on a rotary tool to clear oxidation from the transom part of the drive and figuring out how to rebuild the bellhousing :)  It's been a slow process as I buy new parts/tools for each step of the way, but I'm finally getting there.  I got everything coated last week so I'm hoping to start assembly this week.  I sure hope it goes together correct the first time, haha

20160507_132923_zpsxvcnlsrv.jpg

20160514_134154_zpsbbyggvff.jpg

20160515_131013_zpsrbhbmrd8.jpg

20160515_134537_zpsgs4lqapl.jpg

The aluminum is still awfully pitted, but it'll be good enough for now.  I powdercoated the bellhousing since that was removed, and have ordered new shift shaft bushings, bellows, gimbal bearing, etc etc so hopefully I don't have to do this again.  The trim cylinders still look like crap, but I'll probably just replace those.

Well I reassembled the bellhousing with new shift shaft seals, now I'm on to installing the gimbal bearing. When I put the alignment bar into the coupler, the bearing ends up about 1/8th low of where it seats. If I lift up on the bar, I can press the bearing in, but then the bar is snug. Should I still go ahead and press in the bearing,  or is something way off? 

I almost forgot all about this thread :)  Its been a while, lets see...

20160528_120719_zpsyql9zpvd.jpg

I did finish up the SEI outdrive and was prepared to enjoy all of last summer worry-free, or so I thought.  It turns out that the used prop I bought during my last mishap was a bonded style without the replaceable hub.  Of course it decided to let go at the best possible time, fully loaded up on July 4th after watching fireworks.  Needless to say that turned into a late cold & rainy night waiting for a tow.  I chalk that one up to a learning experience.  I bought a new mercruiser prop & a spare hub/wrench to keep on board, so I'll be prepared should such a thing happen again.

20160710_125739_zpsm612mvme.jpg

Other than that it was a great summer out on the lake.  I'm about ready to start doing some smaller maintenance items for this year and there are a few odds/ends I need to pick up.  I'd like to get new hinge pin cap things for the drive unit, and also find a set of better looking trim rams. I could also use a new latch for the anchor door, and other misc. small items, etc.